Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys no pictures to show what I`m attempting to tidy up but one of my good customers has a 73 Ferrari Dino that is in great condition for it`s age. It`s by no means a concours car but mostly original hence the problem I`m facing.

The dash is original and looks to me like it was originally black suede leather although now the suede is only visable around such things as the lower dash etc... as the sun and time has worn the top surfaces away. Now the leather is dull, mostly bald and instead of being black it has a few dirty looking brown areas.

Does anyone have experience with reviving this sort of thing. I was reluctant to do much other than wipe fairly gently with a damp MF which did improve the look slightly but I was wary of causing further damage.

I imagine that a leather conditioner could damage/stain what remains of the original finish as would getting it excessively damp?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d stay away from conditioners in this situation. I`d 1st try a damp microfiber to get a baseline of how it reacts. Sounds almost like sun damage from how you`re explaining it though. Pics would help alot. You might want to Private Message member "Roger Koh". He`s the expert in this field.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input David I might have to PM Roger for his advice.

I have a picture of the interior that shows some of the discolouring but doesn`t really show too much detail unfortunately. (photo shows only partial interior cleaned)

Come to think of it, I don`t think I`ve ever used a conditioner on suede leather before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Fermani for your interest!

Wow, it’s almost 38 years!

Not a problem if the suede is still healthy and to your surprise it’s easier to restore than smooth leathers.

What you need is the Suede Kit S3 with Aniline Dye-21 and Dye Fix-99 as add-on.

The outline of a holistic restoration to its structure, texture and appearance is as follows:

A. A Leather-Safe Restorative Cleaning involves 3 steps (pH 4.4 prep cleaning, pH 3.8 cleaning and pH 3.0 rinse) – that will improve “a few dirty looking brown areas”.

B. Hydrating with a pH 3.3 hydrator – to relax sun damage stiffness and abrasion that cause the baldness (with deteriorated nap exfliolate with either the suede Brush-3 and or the suede Eraser-5 will rejuvenate the texture); hydrating will reactivate the dormant dyestuff causing it to resurface that will improve the leather dullness; hydrating will facilitate the penetrated soiling causing it to wicks to the surface to be towel extract when wet and suede brushing when crispy dry; hydrating will reduce interfacial tension and precondition for a better fatliquoring appearance.

C. It is at this stage that redyeing is done – by fine airbrushing with an aqueous aniline dye.

D. Rejuvenating with a pH 5.0 micro emulsion fatliquor follows – to return the leather with softness suppleness and strength with a deeper hue.

E. Fixing the dyestuff is done after fatliquoring – with a dye fix that is natural and retains the finger writing effect.

F. The holistic system ends with a non-stick rub resistant protector that also impart a classic leather scent with a silky finger writing effect.

Comments:

1) “I imagine that a leather conditioner could damage/stain what remains of the original finish as would getting it excessively damp?”

There is a different between aftermarket conditioner and fatliquor. Fatliquor is what originally used in the modern tannery and it’s used to rejuvenate both suede and leather. A pH 5.0 fatliquor is anionic charged negative. The protein suede fibers when hydrated with a pH 3.3 hydrated charges it positive. Thus fatliquor rejuvenating works by hydrogen-bonding unlike conditions that works by stuffing.

What damages the suede is not the dampness but the pH value of the dampness. Thus a leather-safe hydrator with a pH value of 3.3 is within the pH neutral range of leather between 3 and 5.

2) “I was wary of causing further damage.”

When we understand the composition of suede; besides the 70/80% of protein fibers; the other leather constituents like the tanning agent, dyestuff, fatliquor besides fungicides and others also have their own pH value. Thus suede is pH sensitive; products within this pH range of 3 and 5 when used as per instruction should not cause wary.

3) “Come to think of it, I don`t think I`ve ever used a conditioner on suede leather before?”

What is so different between suede and leather; the reverse side of leather is suede; when smooth leather is abraded, its suede. Conditioner not suitable for suede is equally not suitable for leather; think about it what I said made sense.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info Roger. I knew you could help.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice Roger, there`s a lot of information there. I`ll study your recommendations ad see what I can do to help get things looking as they should again.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty sure that`s the original (almost original) color. Here`s one I did >>

Wolf`s Chemicals Detailing Products

Thread Information