Post Thanks / Like
    well i got a car with a metallic purple color, and after washing and drying it, i went to try bfwd on the hood. i put a light strip of it across the hood, and then got an applicator and rubbed it in. after that i pulled it off with a nice microfiber, and the strip of bfwd had discolored the paint, to a much darker shade!

i was hoping maybe it would dissapear over time, but i QD the hood last night with ONR QD strength and the stripe is still there.

has anybody heard of this happening before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats prolly the actual color of your paint.

Your lighter color paint is prolly faded or oxidized and is loosing its lust, and the bfwd is bringing it back to its actual color.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will likely need a light polish to remove it. If you read the directions I`m certain it says you should apply the product to the applicator, not lay a bead on the paint. I`ve seen polish do that before after sitting on the paint a while...never a wax/sealant though.

How old is the vehicle and when was it last polished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like BFWD removed some oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird - probably just BFWD on top of it - i have noticed it darkens the paint a bit.
    2005 Pontiac GTP ---> 2008 BMW 535 xi

Post Thanks / Like
    BFWD does color shift a bit. On some colors its welcome (reds, blacks) on silvers it adds a blueish tinge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the paint warm when you applied it? That can cause streaking but it should come out by cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....I think Rasky has a good point. While never with an LSP, I have had a polish do this to me before when a neighbor distracted me. I didn`t realize a little of the product I was using had dripped on to the trunk (black paint) while I was prepping the pad on my polisher (just as I was interrupted). I wiped the polish off as soon as I noticed and discovered a darkening/staining effect where the drips had been (like Rasky mentioned).

Post Thanks / Like
    paint was cool. it didnt sit in one spot for more than 30 seconds. the car is a 09 so while the paint has not been maintained as meticulously as some on here has, it is not old paint by any means.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d wash, clay and then do a light polish step, then try BFWD again. I`ve used it since it came out and never had any problems.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the paint was hot when you put it on there. It will need a polishing now for sure. Even a light polish will be fine though so don`t be too scared!
    San Diego`s Finest Auto Detail Company

Check us out online!

www.5pointdetail.com

http://www.yelp.com/biz/5-point-mobi...il-san-diego-3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzm
    paint was cool. it didnt sit in one spot for more than 30 seconds. the car is a 09 so while the paint has not been maintained as meticulously as some on here has, it is not old paint by any means.

Are you applying thin coats and allowing the BFWD to haze? An indicator that it`s ready to take off is when you swipe a finger through it and it wipes dry not still streaks. I question this because you mention only letting it sit for 30 seconds and you only did a stripe not the whole hood or panel. A little BFWD once you get the applicator primed goes a very long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schiddy
    Are you applying thin coats and allowing the BFWD to haze? An indicator that it`s ready to take off is when you swipe a finger through it and it wipes dry not still streaks. I question this because you mention only letting it sit for 30 seconds and you only did a stripe not the whole hood or panel. A little BFWD once you get the applicator primed goes a very long way.

He was refereeing to the bead of BFWD that he laid on the paint....not applied and removed after 30 seconds.

John,

I can just about guarantee the reason it stain was because the bead of BFWD sat on the paint....though it seems odd that it did it so quickly...possibly an indication that the paint needs some amount of polishing. Give it a light polish and the stain should remove rather easily, then apply the BFWD again but this time do it by applying it to the applicator first rather then directly to the paint.

Do you have a DA polisher by any chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    He was refereeing to the bead of BFWD that he laid on the paint....not applied and removed after 30 seconds.

John,

I can just about guarantee the reason it stain was because the bead of BFWD sat on the paint....though it seems odd that it did it so quickly...possibly an indication that the paint needs some amount of polishing. Give it a light polish and the stain should remove rather easily, then apply the BFWD again but this time do it by applying it to the applicator first rather then directly to the paint.

Do you have a DA polisher by any chance?

i do, but unfortunatly i do not have any pads or any backing plates or anything for it, and no cash in the immediate future for (what looks to be about 60 dollars) everything either

for reference i put a bead down, and immediatly spread it with an applicator. so the first part of the bead wasnt even in one spot for more than 10 seconds, while the end was in one spot for likely 30-45 seconds. the entire bead is visible tho as a stain. very odd.

i also did not let it haze per the application instructions on the back i wiped on and wiped off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzm
    i do, but unfortunatly i do not have any pads or any backing plates or anything for it, and no cash in the immediate future for (what looks to be about 60 dollars) everything either

for reference i put a bead down, and immediatly spread it with an applicator. so the first part of the bead wasnt even in one spot for more than 10 seconds, while the end was in one spot for likely 30-45 seconds. the entire bead is visible tho as a stain. very odd.

i also did not let it haze per the application instructions on the back i wiped on and wiped off.

Yeah, that`s pretty odd. Even the polishes that I`ve seen stain paint have sat on the paint for several minutes ( high volume shop days )

You could probably go over the area with a mild polish by hand for now if you like....something like SwirlX should do the trick. Maybe call PAC and see what they say too.

Cheers,

Rasky

Thread Information