Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Been snooping around the forums for a while, thought I`d finally register and get some opinions. I recently picked up a 2011 Subaru STi - a car finally worth keeping in good condition. I know the clear coat on them is iffy at best, but I thought I`d give it a go from the start. I really have no experience with car detailing. After reading around, I made a nice sized amazon purchase to get started. I wanted to find products that would allow me to tend to my car inside of a garage. It is nice to be able to wash my car off every week even during winter with the rock salt.

Down to the meat:

-Meguair`s Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner (I really like it. Doesn`t leave a dust magnet like armor all in my experience)

-Griot`s Garage Wheel Cleaner (Just sprayed it on last night, cleaned the dust up real well)

-Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System (yet to use)

-Blackfire Wet Diamond All-Finish Paint Protection (yet to use)

-Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash (I park in the driveway normally... big oak tree and power lines overhead... needed something quick to take bird crap and bugs off)

-Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (Main car wash, really happy with it. I use this as well as a rinse bucket. Use my RO/DI filter for my fish tank to get some water that isn`t so darn hard)

-Menzerna Final Polish (yet to use)

Applicators:

-Meguiar`s EvenCoat Applicator

-Mothers Wheel Brush (meh, it is what it is. I needed one)

-Mothers Detail Brush Set

-Cables Unlimited Ultra Absorbent Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (not so sure about these. Shouldn`t have cheaped out. Looking for some nice waffle weave ones now instead)

So far, I have been waiting for it to stop snowing to bust out the clay bar / polish / sealant. I`m a bit hesitant and nervous to use this stuff, but I can tell the coat could use it - bit bumpy. Getting the winter mess out of the clear coat will be a nice perk too. Just been washing it in the garage with the ONR when I get a chance once a week or so. Clean the wheels off as well. The brakes on that car are no joke - especially with the dust they put off during break in.

I plan on just giving it a good wash, going over it with the clay kit, using the included foam pad to apply the polish lightly, then putting on the sealant using one of the applicator pads from meguiars. Seem reasonable? Really could use some feedback if anybody has experience with any of the products. The directions with the polish are... well... small pictures in circles on the bottle =P.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heide264- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d keep those Mother`s brushes away from your paint

Use plenty of lube when claying, and remember that once clay picks up something abrasive it turns into sandpaper. So don`t do long, sweeping motions (long scratches are awful compared to short little ones) and inspect/knead your clay frequently. I tear my claybars up into small pieces and clay with those instead of holding the whole bar in my hand.

You`ll probably find that using the Menzerna Final Polish by hand is quite a chore and that it doesn`t do all that much to correct any marring your paint might have. Be sure to work it long enough for the (rather mild) abrasives to break down. If (more like "when") your polish applicator starts to get loaded up with old polish, either wash (Dawn works OK), rinse, and dry it or get out a new applicator. Don`t let the polish dry out completely before you buff it off, you want it just a little "still wet".

Perhaps needless to say, but you`ll use a different applicator for the BlackFire than you used for the polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wanted a Polish just to use once a year or so to just renew my paint a bit. The clear coat is really thin on these cars, so i just wanted something mild and that i could use by hand for experience. Thanks for the tip on cleaning the pad. I would have stumbled on that issue half way through, haha.

I have a pack of applicators I bought listed above that I was planning on using with the black fire.

Considering my car was brand new a couple months ago, would it be a good idea to just clay and use the sealant? I don`t know have any experience, so smaller steps would help. Also, once I apply the black fire, I can layer it or apply a natural wax on top if I so desire?

Posted from my phone ... Excuse the grammar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly enough, I was just about to make my first post regarding my car... a 2011 STi in plasma blue, lol. Congrats on the STi... what color do you have? I`m taking the plunge into a da machine so I`m going to start another post and not thread jack. LMK if you have any car-specific questions if you go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    I wanted a Polish just to use once a year or so to just renew my paint a bit. The clear coat is really thin on these cars, so i just wanted something mild and that i could use by hand for experience...

OK, gotcha. I did some sections of my WRX by hand, and the clear was pretty easy to work. But that was a while ago too and they might be different now. Still thin though I bet.

Considering my car was brand new a couple months ago, would it be a good idea to just clay and use the sealant? I don`t know have any experience, so smaller steps would help.

If it`s a light color I`d either clay it or use a decontamination system (which are *VERY* easy to use) to preclude the chance of "rust-blooms" from ferrous contamination like rail dust. Even more important on thin-paint vehicles IMO.

Some would say to clay it period, but I can go both ways as sometimes people instill marring when they clay.

Also, once I apply the black fire, I can layer it or apply a natural wax on top if I so desire?

You could top it (I wouldn`t so you can add more BF later), but I doubt you`ll need to as BF looks mighty "wax-like" anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the finish looks ok to you, you can skip the polish/correction stage. I did last year because of time after buying my car just before it got cold.

As far as layering, yes, you should be able to put a layer of wax over top of it (ie carnuba).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome. You bought a great assortment there. I love BFWD and the Quik detailer. You got a great assortment there.
    2005 Pontiac GTP ---> 2008 BMW 535 xi

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the feedback.

I will check out the decontamination stuff. Never heard of it.

Car is their world rally blue and a hatch. Love it. Know the paint is bad though lol. Figure i will try my best though.

I will at least clay it before the bf. I want to make sure that rock salt and junk is out. I live by Pittsburgh.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heide64- Until I read about your location, I was gonne lean towards not worrying about claying/decontaminating the car (based on the color). But now I think that yeah, you might oughta decon it.

Maybe I`m too paranoid about your claying it, but I`d hate for you to instill marring that you won`t get out with that Menzerna (via hand).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hrmm. Well you have a lot more experience than I do. I also don`t mind picking up more stuff if needed later on ... be it a machine or different Polish or what. Just trying to take it in small steps ... especially with the thin clear coat.

I really feel more comfortable running the clay over it before it gets more junk in it. Unless you feel strongly that there is a better, safer way for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mother`s clay should be fine if you don`t apply pressure and use plenty of lube. If you`re still nervous you can try Pinnacle Poly or Sonus which are both generally reported to be much gentler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did another ONR wash last night. It`s awesome to be able to wipe my car off in the garage in the evening. I do need to get some more lights going in there though to make life a bit easier. Still no signs of any marring (maring?).

One oddball thing I noticed and brought up with another STi owner, is the paint looks odd. It feels smooth to my touch, but when you look at it, it looks `pebbly`. It almost looks as if somebody made the car out of clay, and then used the end of a rounded pencil eraser to `pat down` the paint. There are many small circles about 1/16" in diameter... Almost look like ripples. I can not personally feel them, however. Any thoughts on it?

I am still planning on claying the car, making sure to keep very light pressure on the clay and keep it well lubed. Which one would you suggest: Concentrated ONR or the meguiar`s detail spray that came with the clay? I am leaning towards the spray that came with it. After claying, I think I will go on to do a polish with the Menzerna and then apply the BlackFire. Do I need to do any prep after the Menzerna?

What do you recommend using to wash the car with ONR? I have just been using microfiber cloths with no real complaints, other than they do get dirty fairly quickly - I go through two a wash. I think I need to pick up some towel cleaner at this point, but dish soap did a fairly good job as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO either will work as a clay lube. I think the ONR will end up being less expensive in the long run but you already have the Meg`s so I`d use it up.

There are lots of things that will work to wash with ONR. I use a microfiber pad I got from Griot`s a while back but many people use Home Depot grout sponges to good effect.

Not sure what to make of your description of your paint; I`ll let the pro`s comment on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptzippy
    IMHO either will work as a clay lube. I think the ONR will end up being less expensive in the long run but you already have the Meg`s so I`d use it up.

There are lots of things that will work to wash with ONR. I use a microfiber pad I got from Griot`s a while back but many people use Home Depot grout sponges to good effect.

Not sure what to make of your description of your paint; I`ll let the pro`s comment on that.

Thanks.

I don`t have any tire care products. Anything you would suggest? I don`t want my tires looking like a mirror (*cough Armor All *cough), but I have had trouble finding good articles on any maintenence I should be doing on them. I guess worst case scenario... they probably won`t last that long anyhow .

Will try to get a picture of the paint. It`s at the level where the cell phone pictures are obsolute so I will do what I can.

Appreciate the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    That "pebble" look you see in your paint is called orange peel. When the paint is sprayed on the car it does not lay perfectly flat and gives the look that you see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information