Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this have been covered in other threads but it wasn`t really clear.

I want to buy a steamer ( Vx 5000) and I would use it mainly for seats shampoo. Does any one have pics or videos of it on fabric? I have seen many great results on leather but nothing on fabric.

And I know that it would be better with an extractor for this use but I plan to use the steam in the entire car and on engine so it wouldn`t be useless.

I currently use a foaming solution with a wetVac and a brush but its a long process. People also ask me if I use steam so it would help the selling part.

In fact, can I expect to use only the steam to clean fabric seats or even if I have to presoak the dirtier spots?

An extractor is an option but I would think that the steam could help me all around the car.

Sorry for my english, not my first language

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few photos Flickr: X-Pat`s Photostream

They are the ones labeled Hummer H1. Interior all cleaned with steam.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    seb799- Welcome to Autopia!

Think about how a steamer works- it sprays steam. This steam is hot water sprayed out under pressure (water is a solvent, heat is an emulsifier, the pressure can "blast" stuff clean to some extent but that stuff has to go somewhere). Some steamers like my Daimer have chemical injection, but then you have to think about rinsing..

Not saying you shouldn`t get one, just wondering if it`ll do what you want it to do.

Aerocleanse- I enjoyed the pix (had to jump around a bit to find the H1 )!

Ya know, my steamer just *sits* there most of the time :think: Yeah, I use it for various things, but I just don`t consider it a "clean the interior fabric" tool very often. Nah, I`m not :argue or anything, I just always feel like maybe I`m missing the bus with this since SO many people think that a steamer is the [stuff] for applications I don`t use it for :nixweiss

This time of year, I use the steamer mainly for cleaning the pedals. It *is* great for that, gets the winter mess out of the texture just great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Works great at cleaning the interior fabric. Just a light spray of your favorite cleaner, steam away. I find it works faster than an extractor and the fabric is dry in about 5min. In fact I sold my extractor to buy the steamer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    I have a few photos Flickr: X-Pat`s Photostream

They are the ones labeled Hummer H1. Interior all cleaned with steam.

Great job on that Hummer, I think it convinced me, did you use any chemicals?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    seb799- Welcome to Autopia!

Think about how a steamer works- it sprays steam. This steam is hot water sprayed out under pressure (water is a solvent, heat is an emulsifier, the pressure can "blast" stuff clean to some extent but that stuff has to go somewhere). Some steamers like my Daimer have chemical injection, but then you have to think about rinsing..

Not saying you shouldn`t get one, just wondering if it`ll do what you want it to do.

Aerocleanse- I enjoyed the pix (had to jump around a bit to find the H1 )!

Ya know, my steamer just *sits* there most of the time :think: Yeah, I use it for various things, but I just don`t consider it a "clean the interior fabric" tool very often. Nah, I`m not :argue or anything, I just always feel like maybe I`m missing the bus with this since SO many people think that a steamer is the [stuff] for applications I don`t use it for :nixweiss

This time of year, I use the steamer mainly for cleaning the pedals. It *is* great for that, gets the winter mess out of the texture just great.

I think that I still find one way or an other to use it and maybe combine in with a wetvac, i`ll see. I guess i`m still confused but I,Ll give it a try!

Thank you for the input.

Works great at cleaning the interior fabric. Just a light spray of your favorite cleaner, steam away. I find it works faster than an extractor and the fabric is dry in about 5min. In fact I sold my extractor to buy the steamer.

What steamer are you using? I was planning to get the vx5000 but their website kinda :think: And I discovered the dupray tosca wich is better unit for 1150$ instead of 750... Dupray customer service seems safer or I don`t know and I can go directly to the showroom to see the machine.

Thank you! guess that I just need to choose a steamer from now.

Anyone had dealt with the vx5000 website before,.... From canada? Tried to reach them by phone today but.... :knockout:

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a product called Folex first, but you can try an APC mist too if you like. Folex can be had at most larger home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Deopt. The steamer I have is a Unilux 3000, as it was the best I could afford.

VC-4000-C Steamer

That would be the next one I look at. Make sure to get a machine that can do continuous fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to get a machine that can do continuous fill.

Yeah, I`ll second that. Even if you think "I won`t need that..." you really will appreciate it. You *will* use up more water than you expect and waiting for everything to cool down and then heat back up is a *big* hassle, moreso than I woulda expected.

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am from Canada and ordered the VX5000 through their website. It was easy and was shipped pretty fast (he charges an extra $50 to ship to Canada, plus you will pay the UPS broker fees, duty, and tax...I think my total cost on the unit shipped was about $900 to Vancouver).

I thought the machine would be better than it is...I read about guys using it to clean wheels, engines, etc. All I use it for it some interior work, although for dirty seats/carpets I usually go with my hot water extractor. The VX5000 has it`s uses but it is not going to be as useful as you probably think it is...that being said, I will buy another one when mine wears out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies,

I think that I am going to buy the Dupray Steamer (Tosca) because it is located not far from my place so I don`t have trouble if I need service or with brokerage fees. The unit is 1200 (W/ taxes) wich is a bit high but the Unit specs are better than the vx5000, not much but slightly. It does not have injector nor continious fill.... but the seller told me on the phone that the process of refilling the tank could take something like 10 minutes, not a big deal for me. What bugs me is that I could get a decent extractor for half of the price

In a perfect world, I would have money for both, but I`ll just save up for the extractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Dupray that I use has a tool that you can clip on a mf towel to pick up the crud while steaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seb799
    Thank you for the replies,

I think that I am going to buy the Dupray Steamer (Tosca) because it is located not far from my place so I don`t have trouble if I need service or with brokerage fees. The unit is 1200 (W/ taxes) wich is a bit high but the Unit specs are better than the vx5000, not much but slightly. It does not have injector nor continious fill.... but the seller told me on the phone that the process of refilling the tank could take something like 10 minutes, not a big deal for me. What bugs me is that I could get a decent extractor for half of the price

In a perfect world, I would have money for both, but I`ll just save up for the extractor.

Get a continuous feed. Yes it may take 10 minutes, but 5 minutes of use and 10 minutes of waiting. Try doing that a few times and you will shelf it. I don`t have to explain what a continuous feed unit will do for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the one i have both steam and hot water injection along with a vacume

Vapor Clean Gaia Carpet Floor Steam Cleaner Steamer NEW : Redsticksales.com
    04 cobra mystichrome Sold new home in AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Get a continuous feed. Yes it may take 10 minutes, but 5 minutes of use and 10 minutes of waiting. Try doing that a few times and you will shelf it. I don`t have to explain what a continuous feed unit will do for you.

That`s the truth! When a steamer does not have continuous fill they make all kinds of excuses "it`s no big deal", "it only takes a few minutes" and even try to say that the continuous fill ones aren`t as effective (not true IME but I guess units differ). But once you use both the choice is crystal clear and can mean the diff between using it frequently and not bothering to get it out at all.

IMO the seller is trying to downplay his unit`s shortcoming and hoping you`ll fall for it. How about asking for a money-back guarantee (including those taxes)? Like... if you find that refilling the unit *is* a big deal after all he`ll refund your money...bet he won`t agree to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPostal
    I thought [my] machine would be better than it is...I read about guys using it to clean wheels, engines, etc. All I use it for it some interior work...

My old steamer has specs similar to what most people are using, and I too find it insufficient for many of the jobs others claim they use steamers for. My Daimer has pretty impressive specs and can do stuff that the other can`t, simply a binary "yes it can/no it can`t" type of difference. Makes me think that you gotta spend pretty much to get a steamer that`ll do all the miraculous stuff people want `em to do.

But even with my good one it`s very, *VERY* slow going when doing stuff like brake calipers and underhood/undercarriage stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a long time but I received my Tosca Steamer from Dupray Industries. It does not have the continuous fill nor injection but the Unit is great. I can do an entire car with one tank of water! It works well on fabric and all around the car!

I now understand how it does not replace the extractor but with my 6.5 hp ridgid wet/dry vac, it does and amazing job.

I defenetly can`t imagine myself without this tool. I haven`t used it much yet on the exterior and I find it difficult to reach some places in the engine bay.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your answers, I`ll add pictures soon

Post Thanks / Like
    seb799- Glad it`s working so well for you! That must have a nice big tank :xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information