Post Thanks / Like
    I know this paint was pain in the dong for pro detailers, but I have to say the video does impress me.

From Does self-healing car paint really exist? - The Globe and Mail :

"Nissan, Infiniti’s parent company, developed the paint system in collaboration with the University of Tokyo and Advanced Softmaterials Inc., according to Ian Forsyth, Director of Corporate Planning for Nissan Canada, the finish was “a clear coat that is designed to be chemically soft.”

Mark Deroche, Chief Instructor, Auto Collision Group at the British Columbia Institute of Technology, confirmed that this clear coat has properties designed to “flow” on a continual basis. Its chemical makeup is elastic, as opposed to the rigid plastic-like consistency found on most paint finishes. Deroche also stated that this technology works faster and more effectively in warmer weather. Cold weather tends to “firm up” the clear coat. This is not to say that it will not “repair” itself when the temperature dips, but the healing process will take a little longer. Click here for a demonstration of the healing process, and click here for before and after pictures.

Although Nissan is no longer using the finish on its cars, it is still being used by some cell phone manufacturers in Japan. "

Robert Keppel

Applied Colors

"Profit More"

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t look very workable, but has anybody here actually tried to polish/wax this self-healing paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know what years this is on? My sister had an 07 G35 and the paint always looked terrible since she didn`t take care of it (black). She now has a 10 fx37 in black and it looks MUCH better. I wonder if it has the healing paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some clients with this and they absolutely HATE the paint, it is a nightmare for them. It doesn`t surprise me that Nissan/Infiniti has discontinued it.

Good concept though.
    Auto Obsessed

Online Reseller of Premium Detailing Products

Edmonton, AB Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to take a lot longer for spider swirls to develop in the self healing paint but I`ve seen buffer swirls put into it that don`t heal.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by autoobsessed
    I have some clients with this and they absolutely HATE the paint, it is a nightmare for them. It doesn`t surprise me that Nissan/Infiniti has discontinued it.

Good concept though.

Why do they hate it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d have to say that Scratch Shield endevor was a complete flopp for Nissan/PPG. Interesting concept, but IMHO miscalculated. Glad it`s over. I also find it funny that they recommend using CeramiClear for it`s replacement in the refinish world: http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...chShieldNA.pdf
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information