Post Thanks / Like
    Car wash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Older automatic washes-a majority of which were built prior to 1980-used to use brushes with soft nylon bristles, which tended to leave a nylon deposit in the shape of a bristle, called brushmarks, on the vehicle`s paint. Many brushes in the US are now either cloth (which is not harmful to a car`s finish, as long as it is flushed with plenty of water to remove the grit from previous washes), or a closed cell foam brush, which does not hold dirt or water, thus is far less likely to harm any painted finish, and can, in fact, provide a gentle polishing effect to leave the paint much shinier. In order to avoid paint marking issues, "touchless" or "no-touch" car washes were developed. This means the car is washed with high water pressure instead of brushes. There is no contact with friction so the chance of any damage is less, however the actual cleaning, or removal of film from the paint, is nearly impossible with no touch systems.

See bolded text - thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the key phrase here is: as long as it is flushed with plenty of water to remove the grit from previous washes
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    I think the key phrase here is: as long as it is flushed with plenty of water to remove the grit from previous washes

Agreed. The only washes that were guaranteed to cause swirls were the ones with the nylon brushes and I haven`t seen any of those in a while. If the equipment is maintained, its safe for paint. Trim and other parts get it much worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I question how well the system is designed to "flush" the debri from the cloth? Regardless, I really believe those cloths will tear up a car finish as I`ve seen countless cars that aren`t hand washed and swirled to hell. Gotta come from somewhere.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed! I had a old friend buy a new, dark blue Honda Accord and didn`t like paying the 25 bucks I was charging her (includes going to pick it up and bring it back) so she started going to the local "autospa" - I saw it recently and swirl city! Although I like her and her husband, heck, we all went to high school together, I would not detail their cars again, they are too damn cheap!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the material makes a small difference, it is the friction against dirt that does the major damage IMHO. I used to put my car through one every weekend (before I knew better!) and random scratches would just appear from it where it has dragged grit/dirt across the paint. Not to mention they miss bits of the car entirely.
    Car spare parts - Car spares & car parts in the UK.

Cars for sale - Cars for sale in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I question how well the system is designed to "flush" the debri from the cloth? Regardless, I really believe those cloths will tear up a car finish as I`ve seen countless cars that aren`t hand washed and swirled to hell. Gotta come from somewhere.

The type with the things that look like vertical blinds covered in fuzz run water down the wash media after a car has gone through. The operator is supposed to wash the media weekly with a powerwasher. I used to work at a dealership with one and I ran my car through it plenty of times with no ill effects. The way the machine works, it would leave small pigtails if there was something in the media, and I didn`t see anything. The wash makers go to great lengths to make sure they aren`t damaging cars. IMO, most of the damage occurs after the vehicle pulls out of the wash. Too many of them have a gang of laborers using very dirty rags to dry the car. That`s where the fun begins. The dirt that was missed on the car gets rubbed everywhere and then they re-use the rags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eppursimuove
    I think the material makes a small difference, it is the friction against dirt that does the major damage...from it where it has dragged grit/dirt across the paint..

Correct :xyxthumbs

I mean, hey...I`m as extreme about washing as anybody could possibly be (well, SuperBee364 will give me a run for my money) and I still get a *little* bit of marring now and then. Simply no way that I can imagine that some system that gives no inch-by-inch consideration of what`s going on could possibly work as well in this regard. It only takes one literal second for a piece of abrasive grit to get pressed against the paint and then moved...

I *will* concede that good carwashes are probably no worse, and quite possibly much better, than the average "sponge and a bucket" washes done by most people. I know plenty of folks who`ve kept their vehicles "non-Autopian OK" with "high-end" carwashes, and I used to run certain vehicles through them for family members (having the drying-station guys spritz on some of my QD before they started toweling away).

Post Thanks / Like
    i still wouldn`t trust them with my cars. not only have they touched hundreds of others, but the harsh detergents that they use as well. no thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    And, of course, this brings up the subject "do you really trust Wickipedia".....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    The type with the things that look like vertical blinds covered in fuzz run water down the wash media after a car has gone through. The operator is supposed to wash the media weekly with a powerwasher. I used to work at a dealership with one and I ran my car through it plenty of times with no ill effects. The way the machine works, it would leave small pigtails if there was something in the media, and I didn`t see anything. The wash makers go to great lengths to make sure they aren`t damaging cars. IMO, most of the damage occurs after the vehicle pulls out of the wash. Too many of them have a gang of laborers using very dirty rags to dry the car. That`s where the fun begins. The dirt that was missed on the car gets rubbed everywhere and then they re-use the rags.

Yes, the icing on the swirl cake is definately the crappy, dirty towels! But, because many tunnel washes don`t offer hand drying, I just can`t conprehend how this type of Car Wash won`t inflict major swirls on a vehicle even if the soft cloths are half-arsed cleaned weekly. Just the geometry of the cloths bouncing and going side to side and round and round into your car just puts shivers down my spin.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information