Post Thanks / Like
    In late December of last year my wife purchased a dark slate metallic Nissan. Although when we purchased the car I did not see a blemish in the hood it was certainely there when I sealed the car in January. It looked to me like a waterspot or a bird bomb had etched the clear coat. Prior to sealing the car I tried Megs Ultimate Compound on the area and it did nothing. This area bothered me every time I cleaned her car but I really just did not know how to deal with. Since I`ve never wet sanded anything, trying something like that on this car was not an option.

Well weekend before last, prior to using the BF Gloss Polish and WD I decided to try one more time to deal with this area. I thought I recalled reading on this forum about using distilled vingear to deal with etching in the clear coat. So I thought what the heck, what could it hurt. I grabbed the distilled vingear and soaked a mf and then dabbed it on the area. I then just blotted it and left it alone to dwell on the spot (I did not let it dry). After the first application it really seemed to help. I repeated the process and it seemed to be 90% better. After applying the Gloss Polish (which I know will concel minor defects), you could not tell it was ever there.

So this seemed to work although I have no clue why.

Post Thanks / Like
    That spot could most probably be a deeply ingrained water-mark/spot/acid rain etching mark.

These are mostly minerals, especially calcium.

White vinegar, chemically, can remove lots of these mineral deposits....to a certain extent. Works great on glass too, if the marks hv not etched in too deeply. Glad you managed to get rid of that mark.

Thread Information