Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking of purchasing a 1998 3 series that is black. I`m more comfortable with my Griot`s DA polisher than my rotary.

Question for the pros is, will m205 finish down hologram free on this black paint? Also, could someone recommend a pad?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok i have had two jet black BMW, my last car which was a jet black convertible was one of the mintest black bmws in NJ unfortuneately it was wrecked last year. I would have had a "paint" contest with any car excluding brand new ones of course. This was the result of hard work and treating this car better than my mother (well not quite). This is what ive learned ... Jet Black is so soft you can marr it just by touching it with you finger. This is good and bad. Bad in that is scratches easily, good in that with the right techinique it can shine better than any paint color. This is what i have used.

1. If its in roughish shape wet sand

2. Meguiars 105 polish on a medium pad for compounding, dont use a real heavy pad.

3. Meguiars 205 or menzerna po85 on a light finishing pad

4. (the key) 3m Ultrafina on its dedicated blue pad.

5. Collinite 915 wax!!!!

This gave me the shiniest car you have ever seen BAR NONE! [IMG][/IMG]
    Two thin coats are better than one thick coat..... but two thick coats are better than two thin coats!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. The car I was considering sold before I had a chance to look at it, but I did think Ultrafina and remembered I`ve never tried it, so I`ll probably order some. It seems real user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very rarely can I get M205 to finish perfectly and because of that I like using Menzerna 85RD. But, if you do plan on using it, Ultrfina is dream to work with.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a feeling that might be the case with 205, though I guess there is no substitute for just giving it a go. Seems no harm in getting some of both Ultrafina and 85rd to have around for different situations. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    First black car or first black bmw? If its first all together, you are in for some fun. Black is just too much for me, I`m too much of a paint perfectionist, I`d polish it until there was no more paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    polishing black car gives WOW to owner..

205 on the da with polishing or finish pad will give much better result than on rotary with 205.. it just ccant finish on rotary because of abrasives being non diminish. DA very very nice polish

NJDETAIL - are you using bc2/bc1 in those pics? bc2 is pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NJDetail
    Ok i have had two jet black BMW, my last car which was a jet black convertible was one of the mintest black bmws in NJ unfortuneately it was wrecked last year. I would have had a "paint" contest with any car excluding brand new ones of course. This was the result of hard work and treating this car better than my mother (well not quite). This is what ive learned ... Jet Black is so soft you can marr it just by touching it with you finger. This is good and bad. Bad in that is scratches easily, good in that with the right techinique it can shine better than any paint color. This is what i have used.

1. If its in roughish shape wet sand

2. Meguiars 105 polish on a medium pad for compounding, dont use a real heavy pad.

3. Meguiars 205 or menzerna po85 on a light finishing pad

4. (the key) 3m Ultrafina on its dedicated blue pad.

5. Collinite 915 wax!!!!

This gave me the shiniest car you have ever seen BAR NONE! [IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ltebow34
    polishing black car gives WOW to owner..

205 on the da with polishing or finish pad will give much better result than on rotary with 205.. it just ccant finish on rotary because of abrasives being non diminish. DA very very nice polish

NJDETAIL - are you using bc2/bc1 in those pics? bc2 is pretty good

I agree with you ltebow34 on the M205 aspect. And yes, it totally looks like NJDetail was using Auto Magic BC-1 / BC-2 and Banana Magic, but it seems like he was referring to different products though?

Post Thanks / Like
    i wasnt using the automagic, i was using what i wrote up on. there in the shot because this was a pic i posted awhile ago showing what automagic polishes are, but no i didnt use the automagic products.
    Two thin coats are better than one thick coat..... but two thick coats are better than two thin coats!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries NJ, that Auto Magic stuff can make paint look great too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a Jet Black 1996 328i that has been sitting outside for its entire life, was rarely driven, almost never washed, and was generally never cared for. The finish is horrible right now, and I want to clean it up. I`m new to detailing and paint correction, and although I`m not looking to turn this into a showcar, I want to get the car looking good. I`ve done some reading on this forum, and i`m still unsure of what products to buy and what methods to use. I want to buy some simple products (something that is available locally so I can purchase in the morning) and attack the paint.

What should I buy, and what should I do. I`m looking to keep this as cheap as possible at this point. I was thinking that I`d start with a clay bar, then try to polish out the swirls with some 3M rubbing compound, and take it from there. I will be doing everything by hand. Any advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a `99 328is--black. I have tried more than a few, and yes, you are right..you can scratch it with your finger. I use my brkmann light all the time and it has been frustrating to get it mar free. It also has 160k miles and was bought with 155k miles- uncared for miles. The paint on the hood measures about 3.6 and on the sides a bit more. Last week, I redid a section of the hood using 105 and 205- both with Megs. yellow foam and Griots- speed 5 to 6. Thus far, this is the best finish. I have tons of Optimum, and might try the other side to compare. This is now my test car because....it has a cracked head and BMW wants $5900 to repair. I told my wife it`s the best looking inoperable car in town. She`s not that pleased because it`s her car.

We were hoping for a cracked head gasket, but with the vapor that comes out of one of the exhausts and the engine light- "check coolant level" and its overheating issues, it appears it is the former. Sucks because we only put 5k on the engine and bought it from a family member- not their fault since there was no previous problem and was checked by BMW mechanic.

Anyway, It`s been fun to play with due to the nature of this paint to scratch by simply touching the paint, but it really does shine.
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna Intensive Polish for correcting, followed by Menzerna Final Polish, then if you have time, follow that with Menzerna Final Polish II. Personally, I haven`t been able to get Menz PO85RD to finish off well on really soft clears, while FPII will finish down as well as (possibly better) than even Ultrafina on soft clear, although Ultrafina is certainly a great choice.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    To yakky,

Was going to be first Black car and first BMW. Someone else bought it, however, so it`s now a moot point at this time for me. Still, it`s nice to have a plan if the situation ever comes up again.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problems finishing down hologram free even on the uber soft Bangled black BMWs if you use the proper techniques. #105/205/Ultrafina works quite well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information