Post Thanks / Like
    Customer has a car waxed with Meguiar`s Nxt/2, and is asking me if I can "Jewel" it. My understanding of jeweling is machine application of a glaze over LSP with a very soft foam pad. LSP is the Last Step Polish of the clearcoat itself, and not a waxed surface. Am I correct, and if so is there anything else I can do to enhance the black cars appearance beyond Nxt/2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not strip the wax.. And put on a Sealant Or Glaze and put a coat of wax over it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me that your understanding of "jeweling" isn`t what counts here. You really ought to

see what the customers idea of it is and go from there.

For instance, my understanding of the jeweling process is that you take a polish like M205 or

Menz 85rd and burnish the finish to as close to perfect as you can get. Then put on your LSP.

But, I could be confused, that`s just what I think the process is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crc1
    Customer has a car waxed with Meguiar`s Nxt/2, and is asking me if I can "Jewel" it. My understanding of jeweling is machine application of a glaze over LSP with a very soft foam pad. LSP is the Last Step Polish of the clearcoat itself, and not a waxed surface. Am I correct, and if so is there anything else I can do to enhance the black cars appearance beyond Nxt/2?

To me, "jewelling" is very-slow machining to "further refine" a polished surface.

You can jewel with Megs 85 Diamond Cut on wool pad very slowly, while misting with water, and taking your time, to achieve a more refined finish, or you can jewel using any polishes with cutting power (Eg: Menz 106, 85RD....). Or you can even jewel a pure wax very slowly with the softest pad you have.

In your situation, you can "jewel` with a glaze or very fine-cut polish first, apply NXT2, and if necessary, top it with a carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeweling is creating the surface as smooth as possible to get the maxximum reflection from any light to give you the best shine possible. The smoother the surface; the better the light reflection; the better the shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, trying to keep everybody`s definitions of detailing terms in agreement is gonna be one really tall order, huh?

Glazing over an existing LSP is generally referred to as "concours waxing" or "showcar glazing" or something like that.

I, and a lot of other detailers, consider jeweling/burnishing to be a polishing step, a minimally-abrasive one that refines an already-corrected finish. And I really question how much you can refine a finish that`s already LSPed (without stripping that LSP and working directly on the paint).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poordude
    Jeweling is creating the surface as smooth as possible to get the maxximum reflection from any light to give you the best shine possible. The smoother the surface; the better the light reflection; the better the shine.

Seeing that jeweling is usually done after correction with a polish that has close to zero cut coupled with a final finishing pad, it technically shouldn`t smooth out the surface. If anything, it`s nice for zeroing out any leftover traces of buffer swirls/marring.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information