Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cyclo owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to pick up a polisher and had been eyeing some Dual Action machines for myself.

I would only be detailing my own cars ,nothing professional, so I didn`t want to spend the big $$ on a Flex (which I understand is outstanding). I tried an e-bay auction on a demo Flex but that got over $200+ quickly so I turned my attention elsewhere.

I looked at the Meguiars as well as the Griots-which I almost pulled the trigger on several times, but something kept me going back to the Cyclo. I spend weeks reading up all I could find across several Forums about the Cyclo and knew the pluses as well as the minuses about this unique machine.

I know... it was only one speed, hard to get into tight spots, old technology, and looks like my Kirby vacuum cleaner mated with an old tube amp (which I also love) but I couldn`t help myself-I had to have one!

I set out the search for a used model like Accumulator had mention in several of his posts as these things are known to be bulletproof. I tried e-bay, but the used price started about half of the going rate of a new model and several were well within the price of a new one. Some were very beat too.

I happened to check the local Craigslist listings this past Sunday and a Cyclo was just listed.

I called and talked to a woman who said her Husband had purchased it brand new for $300.00 three years ago. He tried his hand at auto detailing and got out of it and the polisher was just sitting around her house collecting dust for the last two years. If I wanted it was mine for $50.00!

Needless to say I immediately went and picked it up. After a little Blue Magic metal polish it shines like new.

I ordered up some pads (orange/green/white) as well as some Aqua interior brushes which will come in handy as my Wife runs a Daycare out of our Home and the kiddies are always making a mess of our carpets/furniture.

A lot of the posts I have read are a couple years old but I wanted to see what other Cyclo owners are using for compound/polish/wax these days and are having good luck with. I know the deal with Klasse AIO and the Cyclo which is too bad, as this is one of my favorite cleaners so I am open to suggestions.

I keep reading good things about Optimum Poli-Seal as well as the Gloss-it product line as it stays wet to allow the Cyclo to "do it`s thing" longer.

Any and all comments are welcomed.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently using Menzerna SIP and 106FF ( or is it FA?) I too use my Cyclo just for family

and friends cars. Did my `07 GTI last Sunday, doing another GTI tomorrow. They`ve got pretty

hard clearcoats.

I love my Cyclo. It`s been in the family since the late `60s. All I`ve had to do to it is replace

the power cord and the brushes in the motor. It gets an occasional drop of oil and it`s happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    JCturboT- Glad you found a Cyclo so cheap!

Note that others have had different luck with KAIO than I did. I use Autoglym SRP via Cyclo and that works well for an AIO.

I haven`t done any correction with mine for a long time, so I dunno which of the new product offerings (M105/M205? Optimum Spray products?) might be OK/not with it :nixweiss 1Z High Gloss works well, but I generally only use that via Cyclo for burnishing an already-great finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spookertunes
    I`m currently using Menzerna SIP and 106FF ( or is it FA?) I too use my Cyclo just for family

and friends cars. Did my `07 GTI last Sunday, doing another GTI tomorrow. They`ve got pretty

hard clearcoats.

I love my Cyclo. It`s been in the family since the late `60s. All I`ve had to do to it is replace

the power cord and the brushes in the motor. It gets an occasional drop of oil and it`s happy.

spookertunes,

I have read good things about Menzerna SIP as well as 106FA.

Which pads are you using on your Cyclo for the SIP? The 106?

I have some orange, green, and white pads ordered.

Nice to hear that my Son (6yo) will be using the Cyclo long after I am gone!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    JCturboT- Glad you found a Cyclo so cheap!

Note that others have had different luck with KAIO than I did. I use Autoglym SRP via Cyclo and that works well for an AIO.

I haven`t done any correction with mine for a long time, so I dunno which of the new product offerings (M105/M205? Optimum Spray products?) might be OK/not with it :nixweiss 1Z High Gloss works well, but I generally only use that via Cyclo for burnishing an already-great finish.

Accumulator,

I know what you mean about the price...I can`t feed my Family of 4 (1/2) Dinner for $50!

I have to mention this as well-

I read all that I could about the Cyclo before the purchase and it was many of your old posts that convinced me to make the purchase. You have mentioned many times over the years how much you liked using it compared to the D/A`s out there.

Of course, this was before you joined the Dark side with the Flex

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, finally got the chance to use the Cyclo this past weekend on my Wife`s Honda Pilot.

She had came Home Friday night to give me some bad news. She had backed into a car and had done some minor damage to the left rear quarter and bumper.

I have been busting her for the last several days as it is her first accident ever and I told her she was just doing it so I could try out the Cyclo

I had to borrow some compound from my Brother as I am still debating what to get that would be "Cyclo friendly".

The only thing he had for me to use was some Menzerna Power Gloss S34A and after reading up on it I was a little reluctant to try it out, as it really is heavy compound meant taking out the likes of 1000 grit scratches.

So I proceeded with caution...

I first washed and clayed the damaged area.

I then applied several small drops of the Powergloss on the green Cyclo brand pads .I know this is not a heavy cutting pads but I wanted to proceed on the side of caution.

After several passes it was evident that the green pads were getting me nowhere and I got out the orange pads. I was really surprised how little working time I had with the Powergloss as I no sooner fired up the Cyclo and made a couple passes till it was dust city.

But, the orange pads gave me the needed "bite" to remove all the scratches and white paint off the blue Honda Pilot and I was actually surprised that after a Iso wipe-down that I did not need to use a light polish to bring out the shine.

After finishing with the Menzerna I applied some Klasse AIO and besides the dent in the quarter it came out pretty respectable. My Wife was happy and we all know happy Wife = happy Home.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JCturboT
    spookertunes,

I have read good things about Menzerna SIP as well as 106FA.

Which pads are you using on your Cyclo for the SIP? The 106?

I have some orange, green, and white pads ordered.

Nice to hear that my Son (6yo) will be using the Cyclo long after I am gone!

Jeff

I started with the "do the least damage" theory and went after some swirl marks on my VW GTI

with the SIP on a white pad. It worked really well. Followed up with the 105 on blue foam.

Gonna go after the wifes PT Cruiser next week. May try an the orange pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    JCturboT- Glad you found a combo that works so well without having to experiment too much!

Heh heh, I only went with the Flex after getting tired of [messing] around with hard clear I`d rather use the Cyclo by a long shot!

Glad your wife`s happy with how it turned out, and that the fender-bender wasn`t a big deal, and that you apparently took it in stride without being too "Autopian" about the whole thing.

And yeah, the heirloom-tool aspect of the Cyclo is mighty cool IMO (not that I have anybody to leave mine to).

Oh, and as I think you`ve already learned, you gotta take those "grit-removal ratings" of products with a grain of salt; IME they`re never even remotely accurate, at least not unless you`re using a rotary with wool pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spookertunes
    I started with the "do the least damage" theory and went after some swirl marks on my VW GTI

with the SIP on a white pad. It worked really well. Followed up with the 105 on blue foam.

Gonna go after the wifes PT Cruiser next week. May try an the orange pads.

spookertunes,

Did you ever try the Meguiars the 105/205 combo?

I am curious as to how it compares against the Menzerna SIP/106 in regards to dusting/cut/working time.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JCturboT
    spookertunes,

Did you ever try the Meguiars the 105/205 combo?

I am curious as to how it compares against the Menzerna SIP/106 in regards to dusting/cut/working time.

Jeff

Never tried the Meg`s stuff so I can`t comment on that. I only play with the wife`s, the kid`s and my car

so I don`t really have a need for a lot of different polishes. Oh, and I play with my neighbors SUV and

also a few friends cars too.

I`m happy with the Menz stuff. Truth be told I`m not sure I`d be able to differentiate all that well

between the Menz and the Meg`s. I`d like to try but can`t really justify the extra coin involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m also a new (used) Cyclo owner--used it to apply 476 to my Tundra--spread thin to win. So far very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to play with the Cyclo today doing some correction work on my Wife`s Honda Pilot. It had quite the number of swirls in it.

I was going to try out the M105/M205 combo but after reading so many good reviews on Meguiars Ultimate Compound I bought a bottle to try out. I used the Cyclo Orange pads.

Did just the hood today after claying it and I am really impressed with it...much less dust than the Menzerna Power Gloss S34A and the working time is much better for the likes of the Cyclo. It stays "wet" for a good long time.

I might have to pick up a bottle of Scratch X or Swirl X to test as well.

I was going to put a coat of Collonite 845 on it but before I do I wanted to ask it UC had any filling properties?

Should I IPA it before I wax?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    JCturboT- Glad to hear you picked products that are Cyclo-friendly; I wouldn`t be surpised if the UC is better for that than the M105 but that`s just a guess. Good that it "stays wet for a good long time", that`s what you want with the Cyclo.

While UC *MIGHT* do some filling (and I really don`t know...but most products do conceal at least a little bit), I dunno if I`d worry/care about it. I know it`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but I don`t always IPA/etc. and it`s never a problem. I`ve used 845 over stuff that fills with zero problems (the stuff stayed filled/looking good) but you just never know whether any fillers will prove long-lived until you try it and see; some do, some don`t.

On the Pilot, *I* would just wax it with no IPAing. Your wife`s thinnish-clear, soft-clear, daily driver SUV? I wouldn`t drive myself nuts getting all Autopian about it but would rather take the approach Mike Phillips has often advocated: "Does it look good? Then OK..". In othe words, keep it simple and don`t look for ways to make the job harder even if that means not attaining "true" perfection (scare-quotes intentional).

Post Thanks / Like
    To be quite honest, the new generation PCs (Meguiars G110, PC 7424 XP and the Griots) are all superior to the Cyclo. More versatile, more maneuverable, less expensive to operate (have you priced the Edge system and pads for the Cyclo yet?) and better correction power. About all I`d recommend one for is someone who has a large vehicle with flat surfaces that doesn`t need a lot of correction.

And yes, I need a new av! :lol
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    ....hey Jeff. I had a chance to use UC myself and was really impressed. I was actually surprised how well it finished via machine (both Flex 3401 and PC 7424 in this case). I would still follow up with a finishing/lighter polish but it is still nice to get that sort of result from a semi-aggressive product. I found it is also effective at spot-jobs by hand but it does leave visible micro marring.

As expected, I found UC had more corrective ability than M205 but wasn`t near as aggressive as M105. ....somewhere in between. I also like the fact the product stayed workable for a long time (didn`t dry out) and left relatively little dust (unlike my experience with M105). I don`t think it will replace my "M`s" but rather it will fill a niche between them. ....when I need something with a little more bite than M205 but not as harsh as M105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information