Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all. I`ve read through much of the forum this morning and so far have not been able to find the answers to 2 questions. I`m a complete newbie to car care and in the past have always just gone to regular car washes and never done any sort of waxing, etc... But now I have a nice, new, black, Audi Q5 and would like to take better care of it. That being said, while I understand I should do this all myself if possible, and that going to a car wash/detail center is not always the best idea, I don`t really have the ability/inclination to do much of this myself as I live in an apartment building with a crowded, indoor parking garage (and am just not that comfortable doing it myself anyway).

I`m just looking for something that will help keep my new car nice and shiny and help protect it from the elements. I don`t need my car looking perfect week-in and week-out, but every few months I`d like to do `something`...

I apologize in advance for my long post, and here are my 2 questions:

1. After doing anything to a car in the way of waxing, clear coat protecting, etc... does it then HAVE to be re-applied every x weeks/months or else the car starts looking worse than it had before anything was done? In other words, by doing any of these things to a car, does the car start to look `dull` as the product wears off? Or does it simply go back to looking `normal` as if nothing was ever done? I would prefer to do something every few months w/o worrying that the car will look `bad` if I don`t maintain it in between.

2. As noted in #1, whatever I do will most likely (99% certain) be done by someone else. That being the case, I`ve found a few places near me that have good reviews. However, I`m finding that they offer so many different items (i.e. different types of waxes, polishes, sealants...), that my head is spinning. I`m trying to avoid a full-on professional detailing as that seems unnecessary and expensive since my car is new and in great shape, and isn`t really something I`m going to pay for once or twice a year. I`ve read through many of the recommended items on this forum, but of course those aren`t mentioned in most of the places I`m looking at (though some do use Simoniz, Mother`s & Meguiars). So I`m looking for your thoughts to see if any of the items listed below are worth doing every few months? I assume that I want to stay away from any of the services that are simply sprayed on during the wash itself, but perhaps the services that are done by hand are ok?

Here are some examples of what I can choose from:

Location #1: independent car wash/detailing center

DELUXE ULTRA EXPERIENCE - $34.95

* Super Express Wax

* Super Express Rain-X

* Super Express Black Magic

* Full Service Wash (not a hand wash)

THE WORKS - $23.15

* RainX

* Triple Foam Polish

* Rim Cleaner

* Tire Shine

* Polysealant

* Undercarriage Wash

* Clear Coat Protectant

SHINE-N-PROTECT $16.65

* Clear Coat Protectant

* Polysealant

* Undercarriage Wash

EXTERIOR SPECIAL $13.88

* Undercarriage Bath and Rust Inhibitor

* Buff & Polish Wax

* Sealer Wax

* Tire Shine and Rim Cleaner

Professional Carnuba Paste Wax $69.95

Keep your new car looking like its just come out of the show room with the highest quality wax available. The wax is applied and buffed by hand, lasting for months to protect your new investment from the elements in the environment. A Full Service Wash is included.

Light Compound & Wax $ 69.95, Some vehicles need a little more than a Simoniz Express Wax. This service provides light compound that will remove those light scratches and swirl marks and increases the gloss of the base coat. Our Simoniz Express Wax is included with this service (a $37.95 value).

Express Polish, $ 44.99

* Protects Clearcoat Finishes

* Delivers a deep, durable shine

* Includes Full Service Car Wash

Location #2: chain of car washes (hand wash available)/detailing center

EXTERIOR DETAIL, $125 (again, this is probably overkill but just listing it for comparison purposes)

Phase One focuses on the exterior and begins with a 100% lambswool hands-only car wash, followed by a thorough cleaning and conditioning of all surfaces on the entire vehicle.

* Complete Engine Cleaning

* Meguiar`s 3 Step Polishing Process

* Compound

* Glaze

* 2 Coats of Meguiar`s Hand Wax

* Bug and Tar Removed

* Chrome and Trim Polished and Dressed

* Tires Shined

* Wheel Shield

Express Polish - $49.99

* Delivers Deep Durable Simoniz Shine

* Protects Clearcoat Finishes

* Money Back Guarantee

* Includes FREE Full Service Wash, Wheel Brite & Tire Shine

Location #3: independent hand wash/detailing center

Mini Detail - Exterior......$125.00, Exterior Compound / Polish & Hand Wax

Location #4: independent hand wash/detailing center

QUICK WAX: High Quality liquid Carnuaba wax, applied by hand. Provides shine and protection from the elements. Includes the Full Service Wash. $84.99

IMPERIAL WAX: The best wax for dark / bright colored cars. This hard wax has a built in glaze that greatly reduces small scratches and swirls common to darker cars. Superior gloss and protection. Starting @ $79.99

MOTHERS HARD WAX,The ULTIMATE: 100% Pure Brazillian Paste Wax. Offers unparralelled protection and beauty. This is the best. Recommended for special cars. Full Service Wash included. Starting @ $84.99

MACHINE BUFF & WAX: Recommended for Finishes that need extra work. Greatly reduces oxidation scratches and swirls . Starting @ $99.99 & up.

GLAZE & WAX: For darkcolored cars.Eliminates swirl marks. This two step process gives professional results. Starting at $89.99 & up.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the car will not look "worse" after your wax wears off, it will only go back to looking like it did.

Be careful about those places that you have looked up--96-99% of those kind of "detail" places are NOT like the people you find on this forum, no matter how they sound. Where are you located? You may be able to find a member that can do your washes for you and may be affordable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    No, the car will not look "worse" after your wax wears off, it will only go back to looking like it did.

Be careful about those places that you have looked up--96-99% of those kind of "detail" places are NOT like the people you find on this forum, no matter how they sound. Where are you located? You may be able to find a member that can do your washes for you and may be affordable.

Thanks for the info. I`m in the White Plains, NY area.

Post Thanks / Like
    jdoria is in that area, I don`t think he`s looking for regular wash customers, but he may be able to steer you to someone.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/member.php?u=26352

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    H again. I was doing more research and came across these products which I figure I can probably do myself (even in my apartment building`s garage):

Optimum No Rinse

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE

The AIO seems like what I`m looking for (something I can do just a couple of times a year to help maintain the look of my car). I would either do it myself, or perhaps see if one of the `professionals` near me would do it.

But I have a question regarding the AIO which so far I have not been able to find on the forum or the web. The application guide that I found online says to: "Lightly dampen a terry cloth or a microfiber applicator pad." It then says, "Tip: To dampen your applicator pad, try using a spray wax such as Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz. The lubricants in the spray will make application even easier." Any thoughts on whether I can use something like Meguiar`s G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax or Meguiar`s G14422 Ultimate Quick Detailer or Meguiar`s A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe Spray instead of the Wolfgang product? And is it really ok to `mix` products like this, or am I better off just using a little water to dampen the microfiber?

Thanks!!

Thread Information