Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to tint my tail lights. Other than some very mild, mild orange peel they looked pretty good. They were a rich dark black color. I wet sanded them down, got rid of all the shiny spots so the surface was totally level. Then I used my pc with some 3m compound to take out the scratches from the 2000 grit. Then I hit it with some Optimum polish. It was smooth as glass, and shiny, but it after further inspection it appeared sort of cloudy. Do I need to go over it again with the compound? What could be the cause of this cloudiness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eoneel
    I decided to tint my tail lights. Other than some very mild, mild orange peel they looked pretty good. They were a rich dark black color. I wet sanded them down, got rid of all the shiny spots so the surface was totally level. Then I used my pc with some 3m compound to take out the scratches from the 2000 grit. Then I hit it with some Optimum polish. It was smooth as glass, and shiny, but it after further inspection it appeared sort of cloudy. Do I need to go over it again with the compound? What could be the cause of this cloudiness?
    Go over it with a finishing polish like Menz. 85rd or Power Finish with a finishing pad. BTW what pad did you use? Going over with a compound will yield you the same results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, thanks for replying. The last step I did was Optimum finish polish with a Lake Country foam blue pad. Could it be that I didn`t work the compound in good enough?

When you say it will yield the same results, do you mean that the compound will give me the same results as the finishing polish?

Here are the exact steps: I started with 3m Rubbing Compound with a white pad. Then went to a black pad with Optimum Polish II, then did a blue pad with Optimum final polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the exact steps: I started with 3m Rubbing Compound with a white pad. Then went to a black pad with Optimum Polish II, then did a blue pad with Optimum final polish.

Noting that there are a zillion different 3M compounds....most of them will leave a very nice finish and the subsequent polishing with milder stuff will usually just bring up the gloss more than anything else. I think people often switch to milder products too soon.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks for the welcome, good folks here.

The 3m rubbing compound I`m using is 39002. I just went over it again with the 3m and still am having hazy/cloudy troubles. I am really not sure what to do at this point. Maybe try sanding the clear coat down again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pictures so you could get a better idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks for the welcome, good folks here.

The 3m rubbing compound I`m using is 39002. I just went over it again with the 3m and still am having hazy/cloudy troubles. I am really not sure what to do at this point. Maybe try sanding the clear coat down again?

Be careful with that 39002, it has silica-based abrasives that can kill you dead just like asbestos (check out the warning on the bottle). I wouldn`t run out and buy a respirator, but don`t breathe the dust either. It oughta finish out pretty nice.

But it`s a bit mild for dealing with 2K scratches, it`ll work better on 3-4K ones. I`d probably resand with one of those milder grits, and I`d be sure to use some *VERY* good paper that won`t leave tracers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the advice.

I can`t even find anything above 2000 grit. Would I be able to use a compound with more cut? Maybe like Meguiars m105 perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the advice.

I can`t even find anything above 2000 grit. Would I be able to use a compound with more cut? Maybe like Meguiars m105 perhaps?

Yeah. M105 *can* remove 2K scratches (BTDT), but you have to work at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`ll try the m105. I found a place that sells the Meguiars 3000 grit but it`s pricey! I really only have the cash for one or the other right now. If I can get away with just really working in the 105 I think I would rather do that. Maybe I can scrounge around for some pennies and get both.

Thread Information