Post Thanks / Like
    Long story short, about a month ago, my wife backed into my truck in the driveway and caused damage to the front driver side bumper. (On a 04` Titan). The painted portion of the bumpers are separated by a piece of chrome plated metal, so there is a right and left bumper. Anyway, she also cracked a chrome plated fog light insert that I had. Anyway, I removed the chrome insert on both sides (which was held on with 3M tape), and when I did the passenger side, it peeled some of the paint off. A good friend of mine owns a body shop, so I asked him when I go on vacation, if he could paint both bumpers for me. I come home from vacation and the truck is in my driveway, and the bumpers look perfect! Ok, so the truck sits in the driveway until Wed, when I have to take it to the dealership for an oil change and inspection. I get the work done, and bring the truck home. It sits in the driveway until today when I am taking the dog out and getting the paper, I notice oil dripping down the front passenger side bumper and scratches in both bumpers (enough that your fingernail will catch on them). I contact the dealer, and he says bring it in right away. I bring it in and explain to the service manager (whom I have a good relationship with) that they were just repainted, and the truck has not gone anywhere except to there for the oil change and inspection. He says he wants to make it right and calls over his detailer.

Now for the "things that make you go hmmm.... part. The service manager asks the detailer if he could get out the scratches, and he says yeah, no problem...I won`t even have to use a buffer on them. I kept my mouth shut and looked on in astonishment, thinking that there must be some new trick to getting out deep scratches without a buffer...lol. So, the service manager asks me to sit in the waiting room, which I do. It is nice, because they have large glass windows that look out into the service department to see everything that is going on. First I see him apply something to a MF towel and begin to wipe away (not even washing the front of the truck to get the little dirt/etc off the bumpers. After wiping for a short time, I then see him go over a rotary with a wool pad, apply the same product to the wool pad and begin to buff the bumper. After about 3-4 minutes, he comes into the waiting room to get me and tells me that he couldn`t get them out and wanted to know if I could bring the truck back next week after the paint "cures" a little more so he can wetsand the scratches and then re-buff them out. So, here was are from not using a buffer to wetsanding???? lol. Anwyay, I told him I would bring it back because I want it in the condition it was after the fresh paint and before the damage. I could easily wetsand it myself, and buff it out, but it is their problem, let them deal with it, and if it comes to the point of having to repaint it, I told my buddy that owns the repair shop to prep me an estimate to hand to them. I don`t have one already because he painted the bumpers for free, however, feeling guilty and not taking advantage of a good friendship, I gave him $200.00 for his efforts.

Anyway, back to my point...."I can get those out without even using a buffer"...all the way to "Can you bring it back next week after the paint cures so I can wet sand the scratches out".... HMMMMM. lol We`ll see what happens next week.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What became of the oil drip? Don`t even mess around with the detailer guy, tell the manager the solution for your problem is for them to pay for you to get the bumpers resprayed, AGAIN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the oil drip was just sloppiness on their part.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Thread Information