Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the thread title says, lately I`ve been getting this nasty, greasy film forming on the inside of the windshield of both of my vehicles. It`s so bad that I have to clean the inside of the windshield thoroughly every other day, or else I can hardly see out of it. No one smokes in either vehicle, so I`m not sure what could be causing it. I use Stoner`s Invisible Glass to clean the windshield. Is there another product I can use to clean with that might prevent this film build-up?
    - 2008 Mazda3s Grand Touring 5-door

- 2009 Toyota Highlander Sport V6 4WD

- 1994 Mazda RX-7 R2 ( - LS3 coming soon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have antifreeze getting blown on there.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try some stop leak and see if it helps-it might be the heater core.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always get a film build up on the inside of the windscreen when using the A/C

Post Thanks / Like
    I went and checked it out & wiped some of the film off...again. It doesn`t smell like antifreeze & is very greasy. It`s almost as if someone smeared cooking grease or Crisco all over the inside of the windshield. The stuff streaks pretty bad at first when you try to clean it, but eventually comes clean the 2nd or 3rd time around with a microfiber cloth and glass cleaner. I just kinda doubt that I`d be having coolant issues with two vehicles at the exact same time, the odds of that are extremely small.

I was just thinking of something...I have a little bit of Clear Kote Quik Shine left in a bottle & I was wondering if I used that on the inside of the windshield if it might help repel some of this grime since Quik Shine does seem to repel dust & grime on paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    Sounds like you have antifreeze getting blown on there.

Unlikely that two relatively new cars, assuming he`s referring to the 08 and 09, would both have coolant leaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be the vinyl in your car is still out-gassing. Silicone based interior dressings can cause problems too. Parking in the sun on hot days just makes it worse.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Could be the vinyl in your car is still out-gassing. Silicone based interior dressings can cause problems too. Parking in the sun on hot days just makes it worse.

You could be right. I try to limit the amount of time both vehicles are in the sun, but every now and then it can be all day. I use 303 on the interior, I`m not sure if that contains silicone or not. I don`t apply it often, twice a year at most.

I used the Quik Shine on the inside of both windshields and the grime came right off easily. The glass looks great now, I`ll just have to see how long it will stay that way.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s possible that it could be from traffic exhaust if you drive in high congestion areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it spread to any of the interior trim? Would hate to be breathing that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

This would have been my guess...I occasionally use Meguiars Interior QD VERY sparingly, but usually wipe down the interior with a water dampened microfiber. My car sits in the sun on a car lot all day and I do not get a lot of fogging. I also use a mix of Eagle One 20/20 and distilled water (I spray both on a cloth and then wipe the glass) and this seems to minimize fogging as well. Straight 20/20 seems to fog more for some reason.

By the way...ZoomZoom, what part of St Louis are you from? I grew up a little upriver from Alton and last lived in Spanish Lake before I moved here. I miss the area, but i hear it has changed a lot since I left back in 93!

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with scottwax about the outgassing. trying cracking the windows or even a windsheild screen to decrease the heat inside, and possibly tinting the windows
    Setting The Standard Higher

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also try the interior version of RainX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with cracking the windows. That may help a lot. Have you cleaned the carpets in your cars recently. Sometimes the chems aren`t completely extracted out and with closed windows it heats the inside so much the moisture has no where to go and the chems dry on the windshield as the water steams out.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhatHoodDetail
    i agree with scottwax about the outgassing. trying cracking the windows or even a windsheild screen to decrease the heat inside, and possibly tinting the windows

+3 on the problem beeing your leather is still breathing/gassing out and also for keeping your windows cracked about an inch

Quote Originally Posted by edwardBe
    You could also try the interior version of RainX.

Are you reffering to FoggX? I used this junk once and it caused the windows to fogg like crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information