Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first post here but I have lurked here often checking for tips on my detailing needs.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone here does for washing their microfibers. I am sure it has been discussed, but I searched with a few different terms and no results.

I work in a body shop and often bring home our microfibers we use for cleaning/detailing cars. First I keep them split up with ones that are used for the dirtier stuff (like door jams, under hood, etc.), and those that are used to apply final finishes like a final hand glaze.

My washing process usually goes something like 2 cycles of (dawn + hot/cold setting) and a final rinse on a hot/cold cycle.

Still after that 3 wash process I am not happy with how clean they are coming out. Anyone got any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn + Simplegreen + All Free

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WMD-DFW
    Dawn + Simplegreen + All Free

Thanks. Any other ideas? Just trying to get some options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Any other options? I would like to try a few different methods if anyone has any different ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn - Tide - APC (purple power etc) ... Give it a extra rinse. Then another rinse with vinegar couple oz,`s.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    There were quite of recent threads on cleaning microfiber.

It sounds like you want to remove stains. You will probably have to soak them in a detergent or all purpose cleaner for an extended period. I like the mf specific detergents (very watery compared to Dawn) since they seem to rinse better.

Some seem to want to boil them which is essentially pre-soaking them in very hot water. You can achieve the same result safer by just heating the water, remove from heat, and let soak. The water temp should not drop significantly. I have seen towels lose their shape, shrink, etc. with heat -- remember these towels are 100% plastic.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    clintj- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d guess you might need to do some more by-hand prewashing, using either the Dawn or some APC.

FWIW, I`m not convinced that it really matters whether you get all the stains out or not. Just because a MF is discolored I don`t think that means it`s necessarily contaminated in a way that`ll matter.

And, well...sometimes I get something nasty on a "good" MF and then it`s just not a "good" one any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, Iv been using Dawn/APC or Citrus Degreaser just a cap. mixed and hot water soak. Then a soak in Hot water and Dawn in the washer, followed by wash in same mix. Rinsed twice and a final rinse with a few splashes of Vinegar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man oh man, some people take better care of their MF`s then the clothes they wear....MF`s are not made of anything fancy that needs special laundering. Toss them in the washer with your detergent of choice, & hot water. Dry on medium heat, remove while still slightly damp. Personally, i use any detergent on sale! usually Tide or Wisk, non bleaching, no fabric softener........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thread Information