Post Thanks / Like
    Go my hood and left side painted repainted due to a two deer collision.

Body shop left a ton of holograms. Must have used a rotary and not bothered with proper steps or did not know what they were doing. Paint job looks good otherwise. Did not notice until after-the-fact when their glaze wore off. They offered $150 towards repair, but since I don’t trust them they gave me $150 towards a PC and pads.

I just ordered up a bunch of pads and a PC. Watched all the vids on what to do and read up a lot here.

However, I get conflicting statements on pads/product for holograms.

I have read orange pad and M105 followed by black/grey pad and M205.

I have read orange pad and M105 followed by white pad and M205.

I have read white pad only with M205 which I am thinking of starting with as a test panel as it is not very aggressive and go to orange and M105 if need be.

Besides holograms car has light swirls where it was painted and moderate swirls on old paint, but no holograms there. No serious defects otherwise.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d start off with M205/white first. That combo will more than likely remove those holograms as they are pretty easy to remove. If that doesnt work and you need something a bit strong than the next step would be M105/white.

Use the same combo on the factory paint and if you like the results and finish up the whole car. If not, just move up again.

M205/white

M105/white

M105/orange

Just make sure if you have to use M105/orange make sure you step down afterwards and finish up with M205/white to remove any hazing/marring M105/orange can sometimes leave behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Wasn`t sure about M105 on white, but I will make that my second route if need be.

Should I use different white pads for M205 to M105 (if need be), just clean the white pad in between or can you just apply the M105 over the M205 on the pad since it has a stronger cut?

Post Thanks / Like
    Always use a new clean pad with a different product so you dont cross contaminate polishes. It can be a fresh pad or you can clean the white pad you just used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg19103
    Wasn`t sure about M105 on white, but I will make that my second route if need be...

I don`t do as well with that combo as I`d expected to. Any more, I pretty much just reach for an orange pad when a job calls for M105, but that`s just me (or rather, the paints I`m working on).

Should I use different white pads for M205 to M105 (if need be), just clean the white pad in between or can you just apply the M105 over the M205 on the pad since it has a stronger cut?

That "switching to a stronger cut on the same pad" works OK.

What you`ll need just depends on how severe the holograms are and how hard the paint is. While holograms are usually pretty shallow (say, compared to RIDS), sometimes it`s surprisingly hard to get rid of them. I`ve had to absolutely *hammer* some paints to remove seemingly light holograms :nixweiss

Thread Information