Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some of you might know how this works and have seen results but I just thought I would post up some before and after pictures to help other people out. I know I had somewhat of a hard time finding good posts with pictures when I was doing research on this stuff.

After finally getting fed up with all the little white specs all over the front end of my car, I decided to do something about em. After doing some research on the internet it looked like Dr. Colorchip was my best bet. There was another choice I was considering called langka I think, but the dr. colorchip looked like it worked better, and it had better reviews from what I read. The paint is also color matched to your car so that makes it a little bit more believable (you give them your paint code, found on the inside of your trunk). It was pretty simple to use it, just clean your car, especially the area where the chips are, and then apply the paint. The instructions say to let it sit for atleast 2 minutes, but I waited for a couple hours to let it set up more. After that there is a special solution that you use to wipe of the excess paint. This is what makes this kit unique. You don`t have to worry about getting the touch up paint on the rest of your vehicle because it just wipes off. The touch up paint only sticks to the areas where chips are. Pretty convenient if I do say so myself.

On their website there are 3 different "kits" to choose from. They say like up to a dozen chips for the smallest size one and like more than 2 dozen for the largest size. The prices are $39-$59 if I believe and shipping was another 10 bucks. I just ordered the smallest size kit cause I wasn`t 100% sure this was gonna work. In the end, I had exactly half of the paint and solution left to do more chips if I wanted. I had wayyyyyy more than a dozen chips haha. Although they weren`t that deep of chips, there were tons of them! At least 100 little spots that I corrected. I took before, during, and after pics. Keep in mind there were almost as many chips on the driver side as on the passenger side. The pictures are just from the passenger side (which was worse) just to get the point across. Both sides turned out great. Here are the results:

Mirror

Before:

During:

After:

Bumper

Before:

During:

After:

This one is very close, a couple inches away, just to show it doesn`t eliminate the chips completely.

Big chip before:

Big chip after (very close):

End result:

Overall I think this stuff did a great job. It was exactly what I was expecting out of it. As you can see from the pictures, it doesn`t work great on deep chips or big scratches. Although I did put another quick coat on the big chip next to the bumper, and it covered it up alot better. I think that multiple coats will help to hide chips and scratches even more. A couple of the pics show the chips and how you can still see them. They are just filled in with paint so they aren`t as visible. Keep in mind that those pictures that show the chips still are within a couple inches from the car. Going and looking at the car now, I have a hard time finding most of the chips that were there before. Like I said, it`s not perfect and it`s not gonna make everything go look perfect again, but it did do an amazing job. I can`t see any of the chips anymore unless I get within a foot or 6 inches from them. I know for some people that`s not good enough, but hey, look at what it was like before I used this stuff. If you got alot of little specs like this on your car try this stuff out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been trying to remember the name of this stuff for a customer!! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Man do you just follow dump trucks around ? That`s a lot o chips!

Looks like dr. colorchip did ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux

The customer of mine who I was talking to about this lived in north Alberta for a few years, and his grey metallic Mazda 6 has probably 5x more chips than this did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jono20
    The customer of mine who I was talking to about this lived in north Alberta for a few years, and his grey metallic Mazda 6 has probably 5x more chips than this did.

Oh god. Tell him to go drive that thing off a steep cliff.

:ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if the car is driven in an area that gets snow and they use sand on the roads, you will get rock chips. Basically two options in these places 1) rock chips 2) 3M clear bra.

In Alberta we use sand, not pretty!
    Auto Obsessed

Online Reseller of Premium Detailing Products

Edmonton, AB Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by autoobsessed
    Well if the car is driven in an area that gets snow and they use sand on the roads, you will get rock chips. Basically two options in these places 1) rock chips 2) 3M clear bra.

In Alberta we use sand, not pretty!

Yeah, I used to live in Colorado. Used lots of sand/salt.. when I left they started using chemicals.. but I never had rock chips that bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have used the Dr. Chips, and works pretty good. You can fill the chips all the way, but takes several layers and patience. In case like you just did, no way you would go to that extreme.

I did it on an exotic and it only had 2, and it needed to be the best it could and it worked well for paint touch up without sanding/buffing.
    Auto Obsessed

Online Reseller of Premium Detailing Products

Edmonton, AB Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job and GREAT timing!! I have a customer who is wanting me to do the front of his car with this stuff and I was aching to see how it worked. He is buying the kit and I am doing the work.

Did you do any buffing after the paint dried?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux

Haha unfortunately sometimes that happens. It seems that every time I get on the interstate I`m frantically trying to pass a semi before I get rocks and crap thrown all over me. And going back and forth between college and home I have to take alot of back/country roads where the same thing happens. After going through all this work I don`t even get close to big trucks haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mose
    Good job and GREAT timing!! I have a customer who is wanting me to do the front of his car with this stuff and I was aching to see how it worked. He is buying the kit and I am doing the work.

Did you do any buffing after the paint dried?

Unfortunately I haven`t had a chance to do so yet. The instructions that came with the stuff said to wait at least 3 days before applying wax. It`s been exactly a week now and it`s held up really well.

I`ve been wanting to get out and give it a good wash and polish and wax but it`s been raining practically every day the past week. Today I finally had the chance with the nice weather, but after getting my cracked windshield replaced they said not to take it to a car wash for a couple days. I figured I could probably hand wash it and it would be find but I didn`t want to risk it.

Next week hopefully I`ll get a chance to do a full exterior detail. I`ve already done the interior because I`ve been itching to do something with my car haha. I`ll get some more pics up when I get the detail done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. I hope it lasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I hope it lasts too haha. So far it`s done pretty well. I`ve driven alot in the rain and it looks like it`s holding up pretty well. I think it`ll hold up pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    keep us updated of durability! Looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beatiful share there, thank you.

Guys,

Do you think polishing out swirls after Dr. Colorchipping would undo the painted chips?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information