Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    As I just posted on a similar thread yesterday, IME it`s not the brightness that makes a light good/bad for swirl-spotting. And I usually do my best inspections (especially on that kind of color) with a cheap little incandescent light anyhow.

What would you say makes a light good for swirl spotting if not the brightness in your opinion?

To Slant...Yeah i saw that same exact light the other day when i was in H.D...i didnt know it had the option of 4 different settings thou...i think thats pretty cool...bet that pulls a lot of power thou....just wanna be careful not to pull power away from my buffer ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlantS
    I just bought one of these Husky 1400w halogens.

I was going to buy two, $64.00 is pretty inexpensive, but I wanted to give the first one a run before investing in another.

The lamps are detachable with the pull of a lever, and each lamp is adjustable from 200w, 500w, &700w. This makes for an unbelievable number of lighting combinations.

Husky Husky 1400W Twin Head Halogen Work Light - 635-337 at The Home Depot

This is similar to the one I use. Works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking for an inexpensive option, I posted this in the deal`s section: http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...ight-20-a.html

1000 watt dual halogen work lights with a tripod for $20.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought one of these Husky 1400w halogens.

I was going to buy two, $64.00 is pretty inexpensive, but I wanted to give the first one a run before investing in another.

The lamps are detachable with the pull of a lever, and each lamp is adjustable from 200w, 500w, &700w. This makes for an unbelievable number of lighting combinations.

Husky Husky 1400W Twin Head Halogen Work Light - 635-337 at The Home Depot

nice choice, i would rather pay more for these (built better) than get ones at sears for $20...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure if you`re talking about the tripod, or the halogens themselves.

Assuming the tripod, it`s not like it`s just going to fall apart... I don`t really see how people abuse these things, it just sits there when you detail.

At $20, I could buy three sets and still have some $ left over.

Some people just like to waste money I guess?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal

bajesus thats big...and expensive...damn. Guess it would be cool to have if the room was available..but the house im livin at with a 3 car garage currently has....3 cars in it lol...not a lot of storage space....*dreams* one day ill own my own home and have the most kick *** garage in all the land:woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpufreak3
    Some people just like to waste money I guess?

Some people don`t mind paying sixty whole dollars for a quality tool when they`re going to rely on it to get a job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry Theal- Oh jeeze you...OK, sigh...I gott hear how that works out for you, even though my VISA card is cringing in fear.

MrWillsi3- First off, if you don`t already have some halogen setup, buy one. Simple as that. They`re simply good to have and work pretty well for the swirl spotting.

But for really good inspection (always done in an otherwise dark room), I like the cheap little hand-held incandescent trouble lights that Lowe`s/etc. sell for around $25. I sorta like the high-wattage ones, and I have 300w bulbs in both of mine.

But I also see flaws *VERY* well under the simple 60w bare bulbs I have in the garage ceiling. Heh heh, those are about the most minimalist lights I can think of, but man do they show flaws, even with silver paint. If you have a garagedoor opener with a light, try taking off the plastic lens/light cover and see if there`s a bare light bulb in there. Try looking at the vehicle under that and I think you`ll see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Barry Theal- Oh jeeze you...OK, sigh...I gott hear how that works out for you, even though my VISA card is cringing in fear.

MrWillsi3- First off, if you don`t already have some halogen setup, buy one. Simple as that. They`re simply good to have and work pretty well for the swirl spotting.

But for really good inspection (always done in an otherwise dark room), I like the cheap little hand-held incandescent trouble lights that Lowe`s/etc. sell for around $25. I sorta like the high-wattage ones, and I have 300w bulbs in both of mine.

But I also see flaws *VERY* well under the simple 60w bare bulbs I have in the garage ceiling. Heh heh, those are about the most minimalist lights I can think of, but man do they show flaws, even with silver paint. If you have a garagedoor opener with a light, try taking off the plastic lens/light cover and see if there`s a bare light bulb in there. Try looking at the vehicle under that and I think you`ll see what I mean.

You are def. right about the garage lights...the poor van has no chance of getting in there...but there is another silver vehicle in there and you can see any imperfection under the lights up top..gotta move around like a fool trying to get the light in the right spot for some areas lol...not like i can reach up and move it around in the ceiling! But im on my way to sears now, give this $20 gig a go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWillsi3
    You are def. right about the garage lights...you can see any imperfection under the lights up top..gotta move around like a fool trying to get the light in the right spot for some areas lol...

Ah, I see you`ve discovered the real secret- getting the viewing angle/distance just right. Yeah, it can be a hassle. It gets a little easier with the hand-held trouble lights, and you can clamp their squeez-clamp handles onto different things to position them just right. I often clamp them to HVAC grates or electrical conduits.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:

20 hours in, one light bulb blown on the 1400w Husky from Home Depot.

And I wore synthetic gloves while installing the light... Luckily it came with extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:

20 hours in, one light bulb blown on the 1400w Husky from Home Depot.

And I wore synthetic gloves while installing the light... Luckily it came with extras.

Dang..that sucks. I`d take it back or go tell them `my light didnt come with the extra bulb like the package said` and get another bulb free at least lol

My Craftsman is donig well so far. Only have maybe 5 or 6 hours on it so far (man arnt the bugs those things attract a PAIN?!) but it hasnt blown. I love the fact you can detach the 2 lamps and move them around freely as well

I see the upped the price to $40 again...guess i got mine just in time :woot:

(watch it`ll blow next time i use it lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Craftsman halogen eats bulbs like I can`t believe, while my crappy old cheapie never needs new ones :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Used the Craftsman over the weekend and it worked perfectly.

The point was for me to detail the car myself and save $$ by not going to a pro.

Worked out nicely for my low budget.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information