Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using a Diamondite Zip Sponge to get bugs off of my windshield, and the AutoGeek site seems to imply that this thing is safe on paint. I`ve used it a couple of times on the lower front fascia of my vehicle with good results, but worry that I might be scratching the paint. I guess I`m not TERRIBLY worried about slightly marring this much-abused area of my car (it`s a bit hopeless, really), but would like to know if anyone considers this bad practice.

Pinnacle makes a "Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Sponge" that is supposed to be paint-safe, but it looks exactly like the Diamondite product to my eyes. Anyone with any experience with either product?

I like to get the bugs off my car within an hour or so of a long trip, and would like to use something in conjunction with my Bug Squash solution - MF doesn`t really seem viable. Thanks for any tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using a microfiber for some time now that I got from Poorboy. It looks like a piece from gym shorts or something of the like, but I`ve never gotten any marring using it for stubborn spots.

Small picture, but I hope it conveys the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the honeycomb sponge available from autogeek, looks terrible but works great
    Bo Davenport

Evolution Detail

Elizabeth City NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the yellow bug scrubber from AG all the time and i love it!! I let it sit in my wash bucket for a few minutes before i use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddysDetail
    I use the yellow bug scrubber from AG all the time and i love it!! I let it sit in my wash bucket for a few minutes before i use it.

Right, but are you guys using the Pinnacle one or the Diamondite one? Is there a difference? And how is it that this thing is safe on paint, given that traditional sponges are a no-no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
    ....given that traditional sponges are a no-no?

I think a lot of folks here use sponges - either natural sea sponges or the grout sponges. They`re definitely not all bad.

While I don`t feel comfortable using a "bug sponge" (generalizing the genre and all), I think several folks whose opinions I respect have used the Pinnacle bug scrubber sponge with good results.

Other thing(s) you could always do is let a soapy solution soak and soften the bug remains up (i.e. soak a towel, cloth, etc and let it sit) or use some other type of pre-wash to treat the bug remains.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the Pinnacle one without any issues at all. Just make sure you let it soak in the bucket for a few minutes before using.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a few from different sources, and they all seem to be the same. I`m currently using the Pinnacle one.

My Pinnacle Bug Sponge is *NOT* something I`m gonna touch my paint with. Period.

Other people can do what they like....good luck with that.

I *do* use it for getting bugs off windshields though, works great.

I also use it for aggressive scrubbing jobs on the backsides of neglected wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

My Pinnacle Bug Sponge is *NOT* something I`m gonna touch my paint with. Period.

I felt the same way at first but after trying it once I have no problems using it on my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the chance to use the Pinnacle sponge for the first time yesterday, and I have to say I was surprised how well it worked. I did have to soak it and squeeze it pretty hard to get it to soak up the wash, but after gently scrubbing the bugs off, I was surprised at how gentle it felt. It seems odd, but I`m sure those who have used it know what I`m talking about.

Thread Information