Post Thanks / Like
    I kindly offered my services to a friend to help him sell his Cobalt, as he has a baby and another on the way and was laid off work last month, so it`s bye-bye sporty coupe. Little did I know that the car had NEVER been washed in its life! Strangely, he did all the oil changes on time, but never thought to hose down his car.

I`ve washed it, did the interior, all that was peachy. Getting husky hair out of the back bench seat was hours of fun, I tell you!

But the paint has me stumped. I tried Meg #83, nothing. Been trying my 3M PerfectIt 6064 on a rotary with the 3M 8" pad, but it just takes out the lightest of swirls. There are still major scratches and hologramming I need to get out.

Any thoughts? I have a pretty wide range of products at hand, just no Menzerna since that`s hard to get here in Vancouver. At this point I`m willing to try pretty much anything though I would prefer a 1 step, as this is a pro bono deal and it`s already eaten up a lot of my time.

Post Thanks / Like
    don`t think you will find a 1 step product to get the results you desire. I would suggest hitting it with M105 and then a medium or finishing polish that you might have to get some good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    GM clear is pretty hard. OTC products that would help are Meguiars UC / SwirlX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently fighting the clear on my 06 supercharged with SwirlX to no avail.

I really didn`t expect the clear to be this hard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, folks. I`m going to take a lunch and come back to it in a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah +1 on trying some M105, and still probably take you a good few hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M 06064 is a Machine Polish with very little cut to it. It`s designed to be used with a foam pad, and in the Auto body industry is usually used as a last step on fresh paint.

You need to step up to 3M 06060 with a white 3M wool pad. That fallowed with the 06064 would get you the results you want. If you can get access to it, 3M 08085 is the latest and greatest for 3M Rubbing Compounds.

3M 08085 got me these results with only one or two passes. Took me 15 minutes to do that whole hood from 1500 grit to a flawless reflection.

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus

--4.7l V8 SOHC

2004 Dodge SRT-4

--2.4l L4 DOHC Turbo

1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby

--2.2l L4 SOHC Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous
    3M 06064 is a Machine Polish with very little cut to it. It`s designed to be used with a foam pad, and in the Auto body industry is usually used as a last step on fresh paint.

You need to step up to 3M 06060 with a white 3M wool pad. That fallowed with the 06064 would get you the results you want. If you can get access to it, 3M 08085 is the latest and greatest for 3M Rubbing Compounds.

3M 08085 got me these results with only one or two passes. Took me 15 minutes to do that whole hood from 1500 grit to a flawless reflection.

Thanks so much, Stratous. Couldn`t figure out what I was doing wrong. I ended up finishing the whole car as it was with the 6064 and then collinite 845 and it was `good enough` but I really prefer a better result on my paid jobs. I`ll have to get my products in the right order next time!

Thread Information