Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I`m really having a hard time dealing with auto service people and could really use some advice/help.

I`ll try to keep this brief. First, my car was vandalized a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (black) - the rear glass was smashed with a beer bottle. I took it to Glass Shop #1. Shop #1 temporarily patched the window with plastic. I assumed shop #1 would not do anything detrimental while patching the rear. I was wrong. The manager ordered his employee to put tonnes and i mean TONNES of duct tape on my brand-new vehicle to hold the plastic in place. I`m not very car savvy and even I know not to use duct tape for this, but I was not in the garage and was unaware they were doing this. I fired him on account of this, plus he was rude and the patch job leaked in the first rain shower anyway. Fired mid-insurance claim.

I took my car to Shop #2. It was about 1 hour before close when they finally got around to servicing my car. The employee looked tired and like he wanted to go home. He hastily, ripped, and I mean I saw him RIP that duct tape from my vehicle right in front of me. Not gently at all, not careful at all, just complete brute-forced it off. I was shocked. Couldn`t believe what I just saw, but it happend so fast, nothing I can do at this point. Apparently the employee tried to remove the glue residue from the duct tape with some varsol and a paper towel. In doing so he may have permanently damaged my clear coat, but I can`t tell for sure.

So, sorry that was so long, but now I`m really stuck. There is some obvious glue residue left, but in some places it you can see "rip marks" from the tape. What I cannot tell is whether these are left over glue or if he actually ripped my clear coat right off.

So my first questions that I really need answers to are: is the strength of duct tape enough to rip the clear coat right off? and how can I tell for sure? or maybe the Varsol discoloured my clear coat in some places? Can Varsol do this? I really need to know this before I decide on my next course of action. They also damaged the rubber molding that is around the edges of the rear glass. The manager offered to take 50% off my deductible as compensation. He assured me I could get a body shop to fix the damages and that I could add it to the claim as "hidden damage` as a result of the vandalim. It seemed reasonable so I believed him. I`m really doubting this now though.

2nd question, any recommendations on my next course of action?

If you graciously took the time through all that, thank-you. ANY advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

GenGuy

Post Thanks / Like
    Duct tape should not rip off the clearcoat. Without pictures, it`s hard to tell. A quick trip to a good local detail shop, and they should be able to take care of this for you.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    duct tape always leaves alot of soft sticky residue behind. Id try a decent adhesive remover. It shouldnt hurt the clear coat at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Duct tape shouldn`t remove clear, but if there was a chip or paint missing it might.

Varsol is a fairly mild solvent and is what I usually try first to remove tape glue, with a Micro Fibre though.

Also don`t let the Duct tape residue sit on the car, it becomes a bear to remove when it dries out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenGuy
    They also damaged the rubber molding that is around the edges of the rear glass. The manager offered to take 50% off my deductible as compensation. He assured me I could get a body shop to fix the damages and that I could add it to the claim as "hidden damage` as a result of the vandalim. It seemed reasonable so I believed him. I`m really doubting this now though.

Since they caused the damage then they need to pay for it. If you go turning that into the insurance company its call fraud since it isn`t a "hidden damage" from the vandalism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the suggestions, going to post a pic if I can`t get this removed soon. I think the clear coat may have been stained, but I didn`t think duct tape or varsol could cause it to stain. maybe the glass shop #2 did something they are not telling me.

Dubbin1: you are absolutely right and I realized this shortly after I made the post. I kid you not, the manager was suggesting that I commit insurance fraud. People are unbelievable these days.

Thread Information