Post Thanks / Like
    I am a newbie and based on my readings so far the exterior car detail steps are as follows:

Wash

Polish

Wax

Am I correct?

I have a one month old 2010 BLACK Hyundai Santa Fe, is there any specific products you recommend for a newbie for each of the above steps? Car already has swirl marks and a long surface scratch.

What is the layering like on a brand new car - wax, clear coat, paint, metal?

Washing - So far I am using microfiber sponge to wash, microfiber cloth to dry. Is this ok?

Any advice is appreciated.

As for now I will continue to read the forums.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and/or respond to my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    you have the microfiber part down pat. (Kudos!!!). I am not sure on which product line your familiar with, but the wash-polish(at least with an orbital) and then wax sounds like it`ll work well.

As for the deeper sctatch, depending on if you carry a rotary in your garage that may need to be removed by a pro (nothing against you).

Like I said I dont know which products you have so its hard to say much

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax to wash the car.

How do I wash the car? I have been rinsing the car off first with my garden hose, then wash with the Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax, rinse with the garden hose again and then drying with the microfiber. I have been washing and drying starting from he top of the vehicle to the bottom. Washing and drying in a horizontal direction.

Unsure what cause the scratches/swirls on a one month old vehicle? Not sure if I got it like that from the dealer OR it was my fault during my washing process?

I am not familiar with what products to use in each of the detailing steps. Any recommendations? Just trying to read all the info that is on this forum and it becomes alot for a newbie.

Orbital polish? What is that? Do you polish and wax using your hand or a machine? What type of cloth do you recommend for hand? What machine do you recommend also?

Everything costs. Am I in over my head or is the true costs of detailing worth it in the long run? Should I become a DIY guy or pay someone else to do it? Would rather be a DIY guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Autogeek`s Show Car Garage

Scroll to the bottom and start watching the videos Start with the Washing-Drying video first.

Thread Information