Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I tried getting the swirls out of my hood with swirlx (using a LC 6.5" orange pad), followed by megs deep crystal polish (using black pad) using my PC 7424xp. I followed these up with wax applied with the LC blue pad. I chose these products because they were cheaper and easier to acquire than Megs 105 and 205.

Anyway, I cleaned the car, dried it and clayed the area before I started. After the swirlx application, the text area looked pretty good aside from a couple scratches that went deeper in to the clearcoat than the combo of swirlx and orange pad could cut to. Here`s what it looked like after the swirlx-

After using all of the products, I decided the test area looked good, so I did the whole hood. Everything looked good for a couple weeks but now the swirls are coming back. Was there filler in swirlx that was just concealing the swirls? I`m thinking that I should have used an IPA wipedown after using the swirlx.

Few questions

1. Should I go for a heavier cutting pad like a yellow bad and use Ultimate Compound or could I just use Ultimate Compound with the orange pad, since UC alone is more aggressive than swirlx?

2. Would it even be safe to go back over my hood with a more aggressive pad/UC after I`ve already buffed it once? Will I be in danger of burning through my clear coat?

3. If I`m going to use IPA wipedown, should I just mix one bottle of isopropyl alcohol and match that quantity with tap water in a squirt bottle? Just spray and wipe with a microfiber towel?

4. If it is safe to go over the hood again, should I just pony up the dough and get m105 and m205? That will probably yield better results, no?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Pony up for #105 and #205. Meguiars consumer products are designed with hand use in mind and typically aren`t effective at removing deeper swirls.

There could also be an issue with your washing technique causing swirls. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve thought about the washing technique causing the swirls and, while I do think my washing technique has caused some marring to some areas the swirls are not a product of that. I believe this to be so because the swirls that have come back are consistent with the rest of the swirls on the body that I have yet to detail. They basically have the exact same pattern and look of the original swirls.

I have however scratched my paint a little bit while washing it. I hate that. I think I need to wash my mitt more frequently than I do. I try to get too large of an area before I wash the mitt and that leads to me scratching the paint some with abrasives.

I use a two bucket method and a lambs wool mitt. I dry with The Absorber and spot try afterwords with a regular megs microfiber cloth. How important do you think a grit guard is if I inspect the mitt after I dip it in the dirty water bucket and rub the debris away with my other hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t use the Absorber, there is no nap so any dirt you might have missed gets worked back into the paint. Microfiber only, the thicker the better. Grit guards can definitely help keep gunk away from your wash mitt/pad.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I`m about to purchase m105, m205 and a Meguiar`s burgundy cutting pad. Would it be safe to go back over the hood area with the cutting pad without burning through the clear coat?

Also, I washed my LC pads with dawn dish soap and put a fan on them indirectly to dry them. They`ll be ok to reuse, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the swirls came back you didn`t remove much clear, that`s for sure. Read up on the KB method in the machine polishing forum, that will really help you out.

If you are sure you got all the old product out of the pads, they ought to be okay to reuse.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I`ll be reading up about the KB method. I know this will eventually probably be answered after I do more research, but do I have to use the surbuf pads he recommends or will the pads I already have do the job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leecm
    Ok, so I tried getting the swirls out of my hood with swirlx (using a LC 6.5" orange pad), followed by megs deep crystal polish

Was there filler in swirlx that was just concealing the swirls? I`m thinking that I should have used an IPA wipedown after using the swirlx.

I don`t know about swirlx, but the deep crystal polish is full of fillers. It is essentially the same product as #7 show car glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 I thought deep crystal polish was the shiz, then I wiped it with some IPA, then it became another useless product bottle.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Meguiars consumer products are designed with hand use in mind and typically aren`t effective at removing deeper swirls.

I am going to go ahead and disagree here, but I know what you`re saying. In general, you`re right. However, Megs products like Ultimate Compound/SwirlX/ColorX can do a fine job when used properly.

In fact, Ultimate Compound is my go to for quick swirl removal work. Does a nice job and finishes down pretty well for daily drivers. I`ll top that with Poli-Seal usually and that finishes things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    As the above post says, if you want OTC, get Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound.

It`s supposed to be very similar to M105, with decent cut. Others have had good success with it. And it`s pretty cheap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont even bother ordering anything else. Go get Megs UC and use it on your orange LC pad. That will take out everything you will want to take out, and just be careful with your washing. Dont forget Search Search Search.

- LI 85
    1985 Z-28 Camaro Black On Black 6speed 11.24 1/4 Mile --- All Guarded By ZAINO

2008 Tiburon GT

2002 Elantra GT

Post Thanks / Like
    the megs ultimate compound and the orange pad should do the trick.from what i read on here the ultimate compound is the consumer version of the #105 and the swirlx is just like 205.

i spray tinted then cleared an extra set of tail lights on my camaro(off the car lol)and then i used some uc and a 4in orange pad and after about 2 min of polishing they look perfect not a spot from wet sanding them with 1500 then 2k wet paper.

the uc is a very good product and some of the megs stuff has goten better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for responding. So, I guess I`ll try the Ultimate Compound with the orange pad, since I already own both. Would I be able to follow it up with SwirlX or Megs Deep Crystal Polish on a white or black pad as a finishing polish or would I need to purchase something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leecm
    Thank you all for responding. So, I guess I`ll try the Ultimate Compound with the orange pad, since I already own both. Would I be able to follow it up with SwirlX or Megs Deep Crystal Polish on a white or black pad as a finishing polish or would I need to purchase something else?

I`d use Meguiars #9 instead. Assuming UC leaves a nearly LSP ready finish, #9 will amp it up a bit more and it is designed specifically for machine use.
    www.scottwax.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information