Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I just got my car back from getting detailed yesterday. Before taking it in I let the detailer know that I had a few horizontal hariline scratches on the hood. These scratches had a faint white appearance and were visible from most angles (still not sure how they got there, although my car is black). After I got my car back, it initailly appeared that the scratches were gone. However, when I got the car home and inspected it further, I noticed that the scratches were still visible, but only at certain angles, in certain light. They now had a shadowy appearance (if that makes sense). Does anyone know what this might mean?

I followed up with the detailer and he said that the paint on the hood was inordinately thin (about 60 microns), so he didn`t want to get too aggressive.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, if it indeed is 60 microns, then yeah, there isn`t much paint to work with. You really don`t want to go below 80.

Post Thanks / Like
    It just seems like owning a black car is like fighting a losing battle. In 6 months I have 3 chips on the hood, 2 on the fenders, and several in the wheel arch area. None of these are huge (more like little white dots), but they are bothersome to me. Is this something I`m just going to have to live with having a black car? Or am I in the minority on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkme323
    It just seems like owning a black car is like fighting a losing battle. In 6 months I have 3 chips on the hood, 2 on the fenders, and several in the wheel arch area. None of these are huge (more like little white dots), but they are bothersome to me. Is this something I`m just going to have to live with having a black car? Or am I in the minority on this?

Black is a full time job!

Don`t feel bad though, my car is red and full of chips too.....AND I EVEN HAVE A CLEA BRA! :hairpull

Post Thanks / Like

People like you should buy light colored cars.

PS: I am like you.

Post Thanks / Like
    blinkme323- Some people are more bothered by chips than other people (they generally just don`t bother *me*). And/but..yeah, they can look worse on black than on some other colors.

That 60 microns *is* thin...good thing he measured it. Is that on a Mazda?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s actually a Nissan. The rest of the car is fine @ 100 microns and above. I just wonder how I`m going to get these water spots off without being able to buff. Someone suggested a 50/50 vinegar and water mix, maybe I`ll give that a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s actually a Nissan. The rest of the car is fine @ 100 microns and above. I just wonder how I`m going to get these water spots off without being able to buff. Someone suggested a 50/50 vinegar and water mix, maybe I`ll give that a shot.

OK, sounds like you`ve done a good job of evaluating the paint thickness :xyxthumbs

The acid might help with the waterspots. I wouldn`t bother cutting it with water as it`s probably not strong enough to begin with (I use *much* stronger acidic products in decontamination systems). In fact, I`d try to find Heinz "Cleaning Vinegar", which is a bit stronger than the normal stuff.

KAIO can do some impressive cleaning too, and it`s almost always functionally nonabrasive. I wouldn`t hesitate to try it on your thin paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing dealers and their work, I have to ask... When exactly was the paint measured, both the 60 and 100? Also, what exactly does the scratch look like now? How does the paint around look? It`s possible he removed a lot of clear trying to get the scratch out...

I`m just pissed at dealer detailing work haha
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Thread Information