Post Thanks / Like
    I`m reading about cleaning chrome wheels from old threads. Wanna make sure of a couple of things.

The basic process is:

1.) Clean with your normal car wash or dedicated wheel cleaner or APC.

2.) clay

3.) polish with a metal polish

4.) protect w/ sealant or wax

Now, I don`t have any metal polish. I`ll probably get some next time I make an order.

So for now, I`m thinking using just a paint AIO, like Duragloss #501 (that`s what I have now). An AIO is safe? I`m guessing a metal polish would be a lot better because it`d be more abrasive. But, can give me an idea of "how much" better?

Before I take the wheels off and do a serious cleaning, I will get some metal polish.

Then also, any regular old sealant or wax that you would use on your paint is okay on chrome wheels? If I go so far as to seal them this time, I`ll probably use Duragloss #101, just because that`s what I have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by levander
    I`m reading about cleaning chrome wheels from old threads. Wanna make sure of a couple of things.

The basic process is:

1.) Clean with your normal car wash or dedicated wheel cleaner or APC.

2.) clay

3.) polish with a metal polish

4.) protect w/ sealant or wax

Now, I don`t have any metal polish. I`ll probably get some next time I make an order.

So for now, I`m thinking using just a paint AIO, like Duragloss #501 (that`s what I have now). An AIO is safe? I`m guessing a metal polish would be a lot better because it`d be more abrasive. But, can give me an idea of "how much" better?

Before I take the wheels off and do a serious cleaning, I will get some metal polish.

Then also, any regular old sealant or wax that you would use on your paint is okay on chrome wheels? If I go so far as to seal them this time, I`ll probably use Duragloss #101, just because that`s what I have on hand.

Chrome in good condition is easy, I`ve seen guys use Lemon Pledge on it and get great results. Assuming yours aren`t gunked up with crud and tar any AIO will work fine. For very light corrosion or spot cleaning even SOS or Brillo works fine although it leaves a bit of residue.

I don`t get too anal with chrome... you could even polish it with toothpaste and it`ll look great. I ran OEM chrome wheels on a truck for over 10 years in NE Ohio winters and they still looked great when I sold it. The key is keeping `em protected and although purists may disagree, almost any old wax will do. YMMV.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    One of our local sales reps that comes into our work place told me to try Star Spray Glass cleaner on mine before I wax them. I am going to try it and let you know. They say it will polish chrome to an outstanding shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since AIOs are generally less abrasive than metal polishes, they work well on not-bad chrome.

I always question how much protection metal polishes leave behind :think: I should think it`s a lot less than, say....a layered sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just using a regular sealant I would use on my paint on chrome wheels is what you guys are talking about when you say sealant?

I`ve already got some Duragloss #101 on hand, so I`m thinking I`ll use that for sealant.

I`d be horribly surprised if the wheels have been cleaned well in the last 10 years. This is my Mom`s car. Sometimes she`ll go to one of those 3 dollar places that you drive through and they have a machine that cleans it. Like, she`ll do that once every two years or something. But, even though the wheels haven`t been cleaned, they don`t look that bad at all. Nowhere near as bad as the clear coated aluminum wheels on my Maxima.

Sealing chrome wheels, that protects them from pitting as well as from dirt? E.g., pitting that could be caused by harsh weather.

I always question how much protection metal polishes leave behind I should think it`s a lot less than, say....a layered sealant.

I didn`t think metal polishes would leave any protection behind. Maybe there`s protection mixed in with the polish? I`ll have to look at the Optimum Metal Polish page to see if there`s any protectant in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just using a regular sealant I would use on my paint on chrome wheels is what you guys are talking about when you say sealant?

Yeah. I currently have layered KSG on the Jag`s chrome (not wheels, but still...).

Sealing chrome wheels, that protects them from pitting as well as from dirt? E.g., pitting that could be caused by harsh weather.

Pitting is caused by moisture getting into (often microscopic) cracks/compromises/etc. in the chromium plating and attacking the underlying metal(s). So if you seal up any of those "tiny holes in the chrome" you can prevent such problems.

I didn`t think metal polishes would leave any protection behind. Maybe there`s protection mixed in with the polish? I`ll have to look at the Optimum Metal Polish page to see if there`s any protectant in there.

Most do leave *something* behind, I just don`t know if it`d be enough for something like a wheel. Flitz/Maas/Simichrome/NXT Metyl (or however they spell it)/etc. products protect for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, thanks Accumulator. Think I`ve got everything I need to know.

You should really consider writing a book about this stuff. Aimed as much as possible towards making it as simple as possible. Because, that would get as wide a market as possible. E.g., what is the most basic stuff I can teach these people so they can better, and more easily, take care of their cars. Chapter 1 being the overview that really everyone should know. Then, Chapter 2 is either paint or interior fabrics. Whichever you think people should know first...

Yeah, there are plenty of guys as knowledgable, but you seem to be particularly adept at articulating. Just write the first chapter, do a table of contents, and send it out to a few publishers? Maybe you could make some money...

Post Thanks / Like
    You should really consider writing a book about this stuff. Aimed as much as possible towards making it as simple as possible....

Heh heh, some pals who at how much time I spend here at Autopia say the same thing But with guys like Mike Phillips basically writing "online books", well...I don`t think so.

Thanks for the compliments though. When I was teaching (Computer Programming), I used the required text as a negative example and wrote all my own course materials...yeah, I can do the knowledge-transfer thing OK

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m usually not one for OTC products, but I really like Mothers Chrome Polish.
    2003 Silverado SS

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always wondered, can i use Megs wheel brightener on chrome wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audi2.7t
    I`ve always wondered, can i use Megs wheel brightener on chrome wheels?

Unless somebody here has a BTDT opinion, I`d just ring up Meguiar`s and ask them; AFAIK, they generally err on the side of caution.

FWIW, chrome is usually fairly tolerant of acids, but if you overdo it you`re looking at a replate job.

Wonder how Griot`s Chrome Wheel Cleaner works :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use Meguiars Wheel Brightener on chrome wheels.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried using meguiars wheel brightener for my car and I could agree more that it really made my american racing wheels look really amazing.

Thread Information