Post Thanks / Like
    Lately I have noticed a couple creases in my leather, and I want to keep them from wearing out into the seat. I don`t sit directly on these areas and don`t make contact with them when getting out, so I have no idea how they got there to being with. I have been using Zaino both Z9 and Z10 on them at least once a month. To provide the best proection and prolong the life of my seats, should I keep using the same products applied at the same intervals, apply them more frequently, or start using other products?

Once thing that I have noticed is that the Z9 seems to noticably dry out the seats I guess you could say. After wiping off the Z9 I can feel the leather and it seems much stiffer than before the initial application. After appling Z10 though, they go back to feeling really soft. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I avoid using Z9 as frequently in the creased areas, and just go straight to Z10 to keep everything soft? Thanks for any help on this

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have ideas on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Creases are basically the breakdown of your leather finish. The only thing you can do is clean it with the proper cleaners(LeatherMaster perhaps) and keep it clean and protected. Avoid using products that attract dirt/oils. That`s most likely what caused it in the 1st place.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pretty much used Zaino Z9 and Z10 on the leather since day 1 on them, and used both on a monthly basis since. It doesn`t seem to me that these products attract dirt, since they are not greasy at all if the leather is wiped after using them. Do you all think it is compared to other leather produts? The reason I have used the Z9 and Z10 was from the good reviews on it in the past, but if there are products out there that are much better, maybe it is time to switch.

I am pretty meticiulous when it comes to things, so I avoid rubbing across the seats when getting in and out and I position myself in between the side bolster when getting in and out. So this kind of confuses me in the first place on how they got there

Post Thanks / Like
    I really love the smell of Z10, but I`ve heard some say that a strong smelling product coupled with a "soft feeling" isn`t the best traits to healthy leather? Do a test my wiping your seats down with a damp white cotton towel and see if any dirt comes off. If so, that might mean that the product is trapping dirt in and creating premature wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno....try leatherique....it`s pretty remarkable, at least - it`s results have been for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The quality of leather is probably the greatest factor here. What model car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I really love the smell of Z10, but I`ve heard some say that a strong smelling product coupled with a "soft feeling" isn`t the best traits to healthy leather? Do a test my wiping your seats down with a damp white cotton towel and see if any dirt comes off. If so, that might mean that the product is trapping dirt in and creating premature wear.
    Actually, I take white cotton undershirt t shirts and cut them up to apply both Z9 and Z10, along with wiping everything off. I don`t know if that`s really the best way to apply leather produts, but it seems to work the best so far for me since I can get in all of the spaces on the seats. Whenever using the Z9 annd the white t shirts to wipe it in and off, I have never seen any dirt or change in color on the cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by kenleekenlee
    The quality of leather is probably the greatest factor here. What model car?
    They are Recaro leather seats, same ones used in the Chevy Cobalt SS

Quote Originally Posted by sb765t
    I dunno....try leatherique....it`s pretty remarkable, at least - it`s results have been for me.
    I always though that Leahterique was more a a leather restorer for seats that are in need of more than traditional cleaners and conditioners. Mine are not near that point, but I just want to keep the creases from turining into rips and tears and to keep the leather looking new the best I can

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering on a related note, is apply leather cleaners and conditioners too often harmful to the leather? I usually try to clean and condition once a month. Does that seem too frequent to you all, or is it good habit to clean and conidition them frequently?

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the base is clean, application of a conditioner can`t hurt unless it`s attracting dirt. Keep it clean 1st and foremost. You want to avoid the regular use of heavy cleaners, but many conditioners(because they are oily) require deep cleaning to remove the dirt embedded to it. Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    As long as the base is clean, application of a conditioner can`t hurt unless it`s attracting dirt. Keep it clean 1st and foremost. You want to avoid the regular use of heavy cleaners, but many conditioners(because they are oily) require deep cleaning to remove the dirt embedded to it. Make sense?
    Yep, keeping evenything clean is the key then

By heavy cleaners, are referring to those such as the ones that many use before using Leatherique, such as Pristine Clean? Not ones such as Z9, which I believe is supposed to be water based anyways, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Creases in leather are natural and will depend greatly on the area of the hide the leather has been cut from. Panels cut from the belly hide will stretch more readily than those cut from the backbone area.

You cannot get rid of creases with any amount of product application but these areas are more prone to wear and abrassion so the key is to keep them very clean. Use a water based foam cleaner (as this will get down into the creases much better than a liquid cleaner) then use a protector (not a conditioner) as this will keep the area cleaner, conditioners will only attract more dirt which will then cause more abrasion and damage in the long run.

Hope this helps

Thread Information