Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys I recently had my MacBook Pro unibody in the shop for a screen replacement, and now that it is pretty much perfect, I want to protect it. I want to protect the outside, which is pretty much silver paint, but I also want to limit the dust attraction on my screen, as well as make it easier to clean. The screen is an LED glass display, so I know KSG will have to problems on it, but I want to know if it will effect how things are seen? If not KSG, are there any other products that you guys can suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d think and sort of wax or sealant would give you a bad glare.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend putting Venture Shield on similar paint protection film. That should help protect the screen.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t recommend waxing the outside of a MacBook Pro. They`re already slick enough as it is without wax. If you wax it I can guarantee you that at some point it`s going to fly out of your hands onto the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you wouldn`t suggest anything then? Just leave it as is? And wouldn`t a screen protector also induce glare? The only thing I am using right now to clean it is an ONR qd mix with target vroom microfiber towels, but overtime I am afraid that the screen will begin to show swirls in it from it being rubbed. Would you say that I shouldn`t really be worried about swirling the glass as long as i`m pretty careful, as usual? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the glass I just use two Waffle Weave Microfibers. One of them damped with just water and a dry one. Wipe with the damp one with light pressure but enough to remove any oils and smudges, then wipe after with the dry one. Screen is nice and clear without any chemicals used. On the exterior I also just use a damp MF.

Although if you want to really protect the outside of it you can get one of those clear acrylic cases or use some Shield adhesive material. In both cases I think you get the benefit of improved "grippiness." The MBP`s painted aluminum case can be very slippery to the hands, especially if the skin on your hands is dry. That`s why I would avoid anything that makes the surface any more slippery. I was going to put an adhesive film protector on mine but I never got around to it and I don`t travel with it enough to warrant it. But if I were going to try to protect my MBP, that`s what I`d use. It obviously doesn`t help against impacts but it prevents scraping and scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx8 Fanatic
    So you wouldn`t suggest anything then? Just leave it as is? And wouldn`t a screen protector also induce glare? The only thing I am using right now to clean it is an ONR qd mix with target vroom microfiber towels, but overtime I am afraid that the screen will begin to show swirls in it from it being rubbed. Would you say that I shouldn`t really be worried about swirling the glass as long as i`m pretty careful, as usual? Thanks.

Might be better to use a lens cloth than a microfibre to clean the screen. Also, you might want to stick with a LCD/Plasma screen cleaning solution as an APC might remove the anti-glare finish.
    BMW E34 530i

BMW E38 740i Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    they sell very nice sleeves and cases for macbooks why not just get one along with a screen protector. ksg wont protect against any real damage.

also i agree with mhuie, i wouldnt use apc or even onr on the screen because the finish is sensitive. and i wouldnt use waffle weaves either, use a lens cloth or screen cloth that comes with a screen cleaning solution. i got a lifetime supply at costco or sams club for under 20 bucks. came with 2 high quality soft plush mf screen towels and 2 bottles of gel screen cleaner. it helps to keep the screen dustfree too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, what do you people do to your screens? I just don`t touch it and it stays pretty much clean. The one with my desktop hasn`t been cleaned in about a year and you can only see things if you turn it off and let the light hit it just right.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d protect it with some type of self adhesive clear vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by My5ABaby
    Geez, what do you people do to your screens? I just don`t touch it and it stays pretty much clean. The one with my desktop hasn`t been cleaned in about a year and you can only see things if you turn it off and let the light hit it just right.

sneezing and spittle from yelling at the screen when your team screws up the big game. :secret lol

Post Thanks / Like
    i give my macbook an 50:50 IPA wipedown every once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use opti seal on mine all the time. helps keeps the keys from getting glossy. I will try the KSG next.

i put it on the the screen and everythign else, it looks great you can also get the apple cleaner iklear it is pretty nice but i don thtink it offers any protection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyman
    i use opti seal on mine all the time. helps keeps the keys from getting glossy. I will try the KSG next.

i put it on the the screen and everythign else, it looks great you can also get the apple cleaner iklear it is pretty nice but i don thtink it offers any protection

Thanks. The iKlear with the included polishing pad works very well on the glass. I`m still using ONR QD strength for the rest of the computer though, which works nicely.

Regarding the KSG... when I came home from school for two weekends ago, I decided that I would try and apply some to only the Apple Logo on the outside, since i had gotten the screen replaced a month and a half ago, and wanted to keep the outside logo from getting scratched. Anyways, I carefully taped up the edges surrounding the logo and then applied one layer of KSG and it looks great! Now that I am home again for the President`s day weekend, I wanted to try applying KSG to the keyboard keys since I`m sick of them getting all oily even after I clean them to be spotless. Could there be any negative effects of applying the KSG to the keys? I don`t want them to be so slippery that I can`t even type. Also, I`ve been wondering this, but how would I remove KSG from something as delicate as my MacBook Pro? I want to have a backup plan to remove it if I don`t like the effects of the KSG, but at the same time I don`t want to sacrifice the finish to remove it. The only thing I can think of is a 50/50 IPA wipedown, but would that risk scratching the finish or fading anything? Same for the glass display if I decide to experiment with the effects of KSG on the monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can try this before I leave on Monday. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting topic. I`m a newbie at the auto detail stuff, but I`ve dealt with LCD/LED screen technology for some time.... For the screen, you might try looking at the Photodon products (LCD Protective Film, Improved Display Function & Use | Photodon.com). They have a generally good reputation, and I know a couple friends who are happy with the results. They have clear and anti-glare protector products.

You want to be real careful with the screen, since the glass has multiple and some rather fragile films applied to it for glare reduction. These films are highly suceptible to chemical abrasion, which is why most of the recommended cleaning solutions are mostly de-ionized water. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information