Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    After 2 or 3washes I usually soak my ONR microfibers with palmolive to remove all the trapped dirt. Works like a charm (after soaking them, they tend to release a surprising amout of dirt that I didn`t think was there, btu is, and doesn`t come out just rubbing under water).

Soooo the question, is there some reason I can`t use palmolive (no scent/phophates/etc..etc...) to remove stubborn dirt? I`ve been doing ti for 2yrs so far without any problems.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my MF with Dawn and have been for years. Cleans the MF better than anything else I have tried and rinses out well. I find regular soaps don`t clean as well and don`t rinse out well either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing that concerns me is that the residual Palmolive/Dawn in the wash media (if any) is transferred back to the paint when you`re ONRing the car. And we all know what a little bit of Palmolive or Dawn can do to LSP. This conjecture is untested by me...just thoughts.

Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSpoots
    Only thing that concerns me is that the residual Palmolive/Dawn in the wash media (if any) is transferred back to the paint when you`re ONRing the car. And we all know what a little bit of Palmolive or Dawn can do to LSP. This conjecture is untested by me...just thoughts.

Your thoughts?
    As I said in my post Dawn rinses out far better than Tide or other detergents. I came to this conclusion when I was running a load of MF through a rinse cycle and noticed the large amount of suds in the rinse water using Tide. I than decided to keep running rinse cycles until the water was clear. On the tenth cycle I said enough of this. I always used a very little amount of soap to.

That was a few years ago. I have been using Dawn since then and notice the towels are fluffier, softer, and my drying towels absorb water as good as when they were new.

Post Thanks / Like
    After I do my post-buffing/pre-LSP Dawn wash I always make sure to do a full bucket mix and soak my MF`s in the left over water(clean) as pre-soak. Works great are breaking down all the polishing oils before throwing them in the washer.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    I wash my MF with Dawn and have been for years. Cleans the MF better than anything else I have tried and rinses out well. I find regular soaps don`t clean as well and don`t rinse out well either.

You can use dish soap in the washing machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Man
    You can use dish soap in the washing machine?

Why not? I have been doing it for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be a *little* careful using outside-the-box products in the washing machine. I do it too, and no...no problems. But some stuff will suds up more than you might expect.

Does Palmolive still have palm and olive oils in it (whence came the name)? "You`re soaking in it"...I`d want an oil-free/clean-rinsing dish soap for something like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....I typically use a dedicated MF detergent like Micro Restore and don`t have rinsing issues. I will also presoak & rinse heavier soiled items to help release product/contamination if needed. I have used Dawn during the presoak in some cases but resort back to the MF detergent during the final wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    For clarification, I`m not talking about buffing cloths w/ polishes and waxes in them - those are easy enough to soak and remove the stuff from them with standard MF products.

I`m talking about cloths I`m using for ONR washing - the ONR really seems to trap (encapsulate) dirt in there and not easily release it, and most of my MF products arn`t really able to remove all of it. I`ve tried like crazy to rub them out, and they`re just not as effecting at forcing the ONR to release the dirt as something like palmolive is....one little squirt, a bunch of rubbing,t hen rinsing out for 3minutes and my cloths are literally brand new, no matter how soiled they were after ONR`ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Does Palmolive still have palm and olive oils in it (whence came the name)? "You`re soaking in it"...I`d want an oil-free/clean-rinsing dish soap for something like this.

I don`t know, but that may be worth looking into....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Regular blue Dawn is what I use. Leaves the dishes squeaky and grabby so it`s not leaving anything behind.

I`m comfortable that it rinses out because after the rinse cycle I usually run the MF through a full wash cycle again but without any soap as a sort of super rinse cycle and the water is very clear on this second run through. With regular detergent I could do this many times and still have sudsy rinse water.

Your right about the sudsing. You don`t need much Dawn in the wash just a little and you get some serious suds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regular blue Dawn is what I use..

Yeah...while I did like the scent of the "Baking Soda Fresh Scent" version of AJAX, which rinsed clean but is not longer available in my area, I just buy a big jug of regular blue Dawn and fill my kitchen soap dispenser and little garage/shop bottle from that. Those big jugs last us for ages.

I have some used-for-washing MFs that simply don`t come clean. Period. Stains that seem permanent. I just don`t worry about it :nixweiss But I`m not wiping down my hood with `em either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a dedicated MF detergent on all my towels and foam polishing pads. For ones that are very dirty or that I know will be hard to remove I add a little 303 Fabric and Vinyl cleaner. This has gotten every stain/dirt out everytime I have used it. The 303 cleaner is such a strong but delicate cleaner/degreaser it is wonderful

I have found when I use a dedicated MF detergent the towels are fluffy and absorbe water as if they were new, but when I use dawn or something like that the towels seem to be almost flattened out and not fluffy they also do not absorbe water as well. Maybe I was adding too much dawn or doing something wrong I am unsure. For the price of the microfiber detergent I use it all the time Autogeek has a BOGO alot with microfiber detergents and thats when I stock up on them.

- LI 85
    1985 Z-28 Camaro Black On Black 6speed 11.24 1/4 Mile --- All Guarded By ZAINO

2008 Tiburon GT

2002 Elantra GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Regular blue Dawn is what I use. Leaves the dishes squeaky and grabby so it`s not leaving anything behind.

I`m comfortable that it rinses out because after the rinse cycle I usually run the MF through a full wash cycle again but without any soap as a sort of super rinse cycle and the water is very clear on this second run through. With regular detergent I could do this many times and still have sudsy rinse water.

Your right about the sudsing. You don`t need much Dawn in the wash just a little and you get some serious suds.

How much do you think I should use for a full load of MFs? About a Teaspoon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Man
    How much do you think I should use for a full load of MFs? About a Teaspoon?

You have to experiment but I tea spoon is not enough for my full loads. I still use a top load washer so I just open the lid and look in and if it`s not enough I add a little more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information