Post Thanks / Like
    I washed my new car for the 1st time the other day. I tried to take what I learned on here to guide me in doing a good job. I do have some questions though.

First off, my new car is black. I returned the Meg`s Deep Crystal wash I had bought and picked up the Meg`s Gold Class wash. I bought 2 buckets and picked up a MF washmitt and some extra MF towels.

I used 4 capfuls of the Gold Class wash to a gallon of water. I then filled up the other bucket with just water. I started on the roof first. After washing a section going back and forth, NOT using a circular motion, I put the washmitt in the plain water bucket and hosed off the roof section. When I went back to the mitt, I squeezed it out and shook it, to try and get any dirt particles on it to come off. The thing is, by the time I was done with this, the plain water bucket looked almost like the soap bucket, meaning there was just as many bubbles in it as the soap bucket. Is this normal?

Haven`t waxed the car yet, but plan to this weekend possibly(barring any rain) before it gets too hot. I bought Meg`s Tech Wax and was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on applying this wax to my car? What kind of applicator should I use? How should I apply? Rub back and forth or in circular motion? How should I take the wax off?

Also picked up some Mothers Back to Black for my mirrors, bumper protector, and mud flaps(all made out of a flat black material--plastic, hard rubber maybe?)...is this ok to use on those surfaces? How should I apply?

I really want to do a good job and keep my new car looking as good as it can for as long as I have it(I`m an amateur and this is a daily driver, so please keep that in mind....I don`t need show car great, but average person great LOL).

Thanks for all of the help, tips, advice. This site is great!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by globe9
    ..by the time I was done [rinsing the mitt].., the plain water bucket looked almost like the soap bucket, meaning there was just as many bubbles in it as the soap bucket. Is this normal?

Yes. I have my rinse buckets clearly IDed so I can tell which is which.

Haven`t waxed the car yet, but plan to this weekend possibly(barring any rain) before it gets too hot. I bought Meg`s Tech Wax and was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on applying this wax to my car? What kind of applicator should I use? How should I apply? Rub back and forth or in circular motion? How should I take the wax off?

I have minimal experience with NXT, but I just applied it like any other LSP. Foam "wax applicator pad", circular/overlapping motions, let dry to a haze, buff off, fog surface with my breath, final buff.

Also picked up some Mothers Back to Black..

Sorry, no experience with that product; I`ve basically gotten away from the dressing approach on such surfaces in favor of LSP-based approaches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no experience with that product; I`ve basically gotten away from the dressing approach on such surfaces in favor of LSP-based approaches.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I`m a noob, so bear with me. What is an LSP-based approach and why have you chosen this over the dressing approach on these kinds of surfaces?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by globe9
    "Sorry, no experience with that product; I`ve basically gotten away from the dressing approach on such surfaces in favor of LSP-based approaches."

Ok, I`m a noob, so bear with me. What is an LSP-based approach and why have you chosen this over the dressing approach on these kinds of surfaces?

Thanks!
    LSP = last step product (i.e. sealant/wax)

I can’t speak for Accum but I prefer using something like a non-staining LSP or an AIO/all-in-one sealant (if needed) for most of the trim pieces on my cars mainly because I find they are faster/cleaner to use (vs. a dressing/protectant), typically last longer and the right product will leave a nice finish. Granted, there are a number of factors to consider though. ….including the type of product you use, the characteristics of the piece(s) you are applying the LSP to, etc. For me it’s a bit of experimentation to see what works best for my own application. I still use protectants on some bits, but I switched to “LSP’s” for the rest a while back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Kean has it right :xyxthumbs

On almost all exterior plastic (and even rubber) trim, I use something like the Klasse twins. That`s a pretty-likely-to-work-OK combo, but I also use other such combinations of polish/AIO and sealant/wax.

I`ve been doing this on some of my vehicles for a long, *LONG* time and it works like a charm for me. There are occasional, rare instances where it doesn`t work out, and in those cases I do use Exterior Vinyl Rubber ("ERV") dressings (almost always Autoglym Bumper Care), but those are pretty few and far between.

What`s the specific vehicle? Maybe it`s something I`ve tried this stuff on, in which case I could maybe suggest something specific.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a 2010 Nissan Rogue in Wicked Black. The mirrors are made of that flat matte black plastic, as is the bumper protecter by the back hatch door. On my first car, a 1992 Mazda Protege, also black, I always used Armor All on the matte plastic mirrors, door handles, and bumper(it wasn`t painted, just matte black plastic). It did a good job, or so I thought, but I was a kid back then and Armor All was pretty much it in the stores. So many more choices now.

I`ll use something besides the Mother`s Back to Black if that isn`t that great, but is there anything I can purchase locally at like a Pep Boys, Advance Auto, O`Reilly, Autozone, Wal-Mart, etc. that will work?

Thanks!!!

Thread Information