Post Thanks / Like
    OT or not....but is *oil* of any variant, whether it be cooking oil or motor oil acceptable for trim from a professional detailer.

Threw me for a curve ball when I saw a C&B of some sorts - using Peanut Cooking Oil on the lower trim...

Post Thanks / Like
    Were I will not condone the use of any household or cooking products to be used on a car, its not to say that they don`t work in some cases.

In the case of PO on plastic, sure it works fine, but because it is OIL the long term effects on plastic would be my concern. Most all car care products are water based for this reason.

When Oil comes in contact with water it tends to bleed and cause streaking and can turn gray. If you are old enough to remember Armorall of the 60`s &70`s when the product was introduce it was an oil based product, over time that oil cracked dashes, caused by heat and the reaction of the oil on the surface.

There are a number of water based plastic trim product on the market that are tested for the use on cars, the cost of them maybe slightly higher than a holdhouse or cooking product but at the risk of ruining something on a car and having to replace it, the cost is nil.

I should also add that I know of a detailer in NYC that used / uses PO for plastic trim, IMO, those are called hackers:thx

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    OT or not....but is *oil* of any variant, whether it be cooking oil or motor oil acceptable for trim from a professional detailer.

Threw me for a curve ball when I saw a C&B of some sorts - using Peanut Cooking Oil on the lower trim...

Post Thanks / Like
    No comment on oil in general, but peanut oil would be about the last thing I would want to spread anywhere in a car. Aside from the stink, there are just too many people around who are deathly allergic to peanuts. Whatever possible advantages it might have are more than outweighed by the possibility it might put some customer`s kid into anaphylactic shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not have threw a stink if it was a weekend warrior on using ~cheap products~ to achieve the look he wants, but we are talking a professional paid detail which did so many wrongs when I 1st read the C&B

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not have threw a stink if it was a weekend warrior on using ~cheap products~ to achieve the look he wants, but we are talking a professional paid detail which did so many wrongs when I 1st read the C&B

C&B?

I have a weekend detail biz and haven`t cut corner what so ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`ll use what is intended for trim. Kinda like using tranny fluid for your vinyl top. No thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    when i owned my old GTI (with plastic bumpers, moldings etc), some people used peanut oil. worked ok except for some animals that always wanted a taste lol

what i used is black kiwi shoe polish (spit shine i believe it`s called). worked really well and i didnt have to reapply for maybe a year or more. youll notice it will start to fade (until reapplied) but never to what it used to be like.

this is the stuff i used:

Post Thanks / Like
    chef, I think you refer to the linseed oil thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerboy1
    C&B?

click & brag I believe

Post Thanks / Like
    hi bence -

let me look at that linseed thread. I did not see it or read it...

It was just seeing the peanut oil used that pushed me come post a question...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I think when Oil comes in contact with water it tends to bleed and cause streaking and can turn gray.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mean to hijack this thread but peanut butter is very effective at removing wax from trim, especily if the trim is grainy. Wipe it on (messy) wipe it off, wax is gone. Dress it with whatever you want. I`ve tried the dab on wax remover stuff and it is much better.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the link bence. And no...the OP (so called pro detailer) of the C&B I read proudly showed a pic of a bottle of supermarket variety peanut cooking oil...he used

Thread Information