Thread: Check Engine!

Post Thanks / Like
    today I washed the engine on my 97 200sx and the check engine light came on and I scanned it code p130 came up which is the oxygen sensor. Can I work around to not replace the sensor? Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    o2 sensors are a finicky beast man... i have a 2000 dodge Dakota and my power steering sensor sprung a leak (common problem) well the fluid ran down the wires and fried my driver side sensor... easy fix, about 80 bucks and a half hour. be sure to use a good penetrating lube, it will save you from cussing out your car...on second thought you might want to unhook the battery and let it sit for 10 min then plug it back up...the light might go off

Post Thanks / Like
    P0130 is not an oxygen sensor. It is an O2 Circuit Malfunction. The O2 sensor is the most replaced sensor, most times out of ignorance. The trouble code sounds more related to wiring. I`d wait it out a few days and see if it doesn`t dry out before you do anything as drastic as replacing a part that you have not tested.

If you still want to play along, take a look here:

Oxygen Sensor Codes - Online Auto Repair | Diy Car Repairs | Automobile Information

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you blow any of the water out of the engine compartment? If not, you better. Either with an air compressor and/or leaf blower. Don`t leave water there. Take a proactive approach to mitigate further damage and possibly correct the problem at hand now.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    take the battery cable off and let the ecu reset. If the code disappeared then it wasn`t a serious issue, if the CEL comes back on it is something that needs to be addressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my mistake was letting soap from the foam gun sit for about 5 min. I did blow out with air compressed air turned on the engine left it on for five. I did take out the battery cable and let it sit but light still on never went off.

Post Thanks / Like
    i believe i was argued with a while ago about this very topic.. that washing. even pressure washing cant possibly damage wiring. i would say to remove your ground battery cable terminal. leave it off for a bit. put it back on and see if that clears it.. if not. sometimes a code can be a one time thing.. could have been from water getting somewhere it shouldnt have, and may no longer be an issue. your engines computer should delete the code itself after a certian amount of drive cycles. i cant see an oxygen sensor being damaged by washing an engine. it is more than likley wiring related. or just a coincidence that it failed right after you washed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I did a blow out where the o2 sensor clips to the other end and reset check engine and bam no more light. Thank you for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it helped! It never hurts to use as much air as possible. Water may dry on it`s own, but will continue to cause damage while it`s doing it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    if i were you. i would take that connector apart. make sure the little rubber seal is in there. if not replace it.. and put sum dielectric grease in the connector so the metal doesnt rust more than it already has.. itll keep water out for next time

Thread Information