Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible? I am buying a car with some bad airbrushing on it and I want to try and wet sand/buff it off asap. I was thinking sanding with an 800 if that pulls the airbrushing off I will move to a 2000 grit then go at it with the buffer for a while.

Do you think it will work? Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is on a Dark shadow gray ford lightning if that matters too.

There is a large wolf airbrushed on the hood, then lightning bolts all over it and the LA skyline airbrushed on the tailgate. It`s eventually getting a respray, but i want to get off what i can and see how it comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has their different views on wet sanding. I have a personal rule about going below 1000 grit without a repaint or spraying clear. In your case, I would bet that whoever airbrushed that sweet "Team Jacob" theme did so over the previous paint. I would also assume they used the airbrush to apply the clear coat and blended it either a few inches around the art or to the closest high crowned body line. Point being, start with 2000 grit and see where 2 passes gets you, then step down to 1500 if needed. When you dip below 1200, the sanding marks take more effort to get completely out. But, you may not notice it on gray as bad as, say black for example. Also, you won`t have much luck trying to get 800 out with 2000. I always go in increments of next highest grit, spending ruffly twice as long as the previous from 1000-2000. At 2500-4000, I mentally think of it as extra steps to help shorten buffing/polishing time, thus dividing the time spent on those stages in half with the next ascending grit. I know it`s not the only way, but that`s what fit best in my eyes while sanding black for months on end. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s going to get repainted anyway just wet sand it. Or try a thinner first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize this may be a little different, but 100 years ago a guy a knew bought an old police car that had stripes painted on the doors and I told him we would be able to just wetsand them off. Well, after the repaint the car looked fine

OTOH, I don`t remember if we were using a block or just by palm/finger. Since the factory clear should be fairly solvent resistant, I`d go with Danase`s suggestion and try some solvents and maybe you`ll be lucky. Start with something mild like Prep-sol, then go for the laquer thinner. Test a small spot somewhere on the factory clear to make sure nothing happens (wipe on, wipe off), then try a small spot on the art.

Post Thanks / Like
    <-----I`m sure the wolf isn`t as cool as the one I did in my avatar:lol

As a detailer and a painter my vote is to repaint it. Chances are the whole hood was cleared over the art, that`s what I would do. But give wet sanding a try, if it doesn`t work then you get it repainted, worth a shot I guess.

Good luck.....post pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I`ll have to take a good look at what I have then I will probalby try sanding it. I`ll try 2k with a block or pad then work down if it can`t get it off. Then 2000 to finish it then pull out the buffer.

I`ll get pics up of what happens. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try thinner first man. It might be come right off.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s worth a shot I guess, can I get any solvent I would need at a lowes or home depot?

Post Thanks / Like
    And I don`t know if they would have cleared everything. I guess so. The lightning bolts are all over the truck tho and that would mean they cleared the whole truck. We`ll have to see. I haven`t even bought the car yet, it`s suppossed to go down tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah or most parts stores even.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, fingers crossed. I`ll keep you guys updated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZONick
    And I don`t know if they would have cleared everything. I guess so. The lightning bolts are all over the truck tho and that would mean they cleared the whole truck. We`ll have to see. I haven`t even bought the car yet, it`s suppossed to go down tomorrow.

I re-clear every panel my airbrush work hits if not the whole car......I guess there are some half arse painters out there:down

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know where the mad face came from lol my bad.

Yeah so try a few things out and post progress pics

Thread Information