Thread: mobile vs. shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hey need some insight on my mobile detailing business. I recently had back surgery and now looking at opening a shop to do the detailing. What r the pros and cons:nixweiss please help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mobile is better because if you don`t have work you don`t pay rent. I think it`s easier to get work, because if people see you and can see you`re paying attention and doing good work you`ll get a chance to talk with them.

A shop is better because you have control of your environment and legitimacy. It`s easier to manage a real business if it`s a shop because you can watch everything.

Either will work if you can make it work.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been discussed ad nosium. Run a search and find a lot of information that will give you some more specific questions to ask.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/search....archid=3481908
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard
    Mobile is better because if you don`t have work you don`t pay rent. I think it`s easier to get work, because if people see you and can see you`re paying attention and doing good work you`ll get a chance to talk with them.

A shop is better because you have control of your environment and legitimacy. It`s easier to manage a real business if it`s a shop because you can watch everything.

Either will work if you can make it work.

Robert

Mobile 24 years now, have had a shops over the years as well....

Mobile for convenience factors is very desireable, although I would never think about it in terms of no work, no rent to pay. Everyday I walk out the door, whether I have work or not I have a cost of living. Being that I have a home office (mortgage) truck payment and equipment, insurance, supplies, licenses and permits.....it all adds up to a daily $$ amount. If I have no work, then it eats into the postive cash flow which I have accumulated, therefore reducing profit. I do this full time 5-6 days a week 10 hours a day and I also have to calculate those rainy days in the equation, fortunately we do not have many of them out here in CA.

Also with the new laws coming into effect for 2010 regarding NPDES, mobile detailers to be legitimate (Contain watewater which we do) must step up their game or face heavy fines......regarding wastewater containment.....

CWA Enforcement Action Plan | Civil Enforcement | Compliance and Enforcement | U.S. EPA.

Shops are a plus, not as convenient but definately able to control your enviroment better. It is great to have a home base, but heavy start up costs including rent and clarifyer/seperator and...... Demographics can be very important to have an impact on local customers, or you will have no traffic and will need to advertise heavily

You need to definately look at both very closely, as I believe mobile is the best choice, and has definately worked for me....JMO
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for the insight. Me and my wife have been looking and one of our concerns is pricing as per a shop and the overhead thats associated with a shop. I guess we`ll keep reserching and make the best decision.

Thread Information