Post Thanks / Like
    So I *need* to finish prepping my car for winter by Friday AM. Problem being we are expecting some fairly cold weather between now and then (mid 30s for the daytime highs, high 20s overnight).

My garage hovers around 50 or so in that kind of weather. The last thing I have left to do is apply a wax. Either Collinite 845 or FleetWax (which one?)

Can it be done in cold temps like this? Im going to guess my garage will be mid 40s when I get started. I have a (very small) electric heater that doesnt do much, I might borrow another one and am thinking about a halogen set for heat and light.

Any other suggestions? I already have 2 coats of FK 2180 on it, so its sealed, but I wanted the most protection from the upcoming CT winter.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    2180 is a great product. You could follow up with either - Fleetwax as you may know is 476s doublecoat in a different container, but a super durable wax. I think the slickness imparted by the 2180 will make application(THIN) MUCH easier with applying your Fleetwax. 845 by itself is usually easier to apply and remove.

50 degrees shouldn`t pose much of a problem you will just have to wait slightly longer(which you shouldnt allow 885/476 to really dry or haze anyway) for the product to set up.

My vote is either! (885Fleetwax)

Post Thanks / Like
    as long as your in a dry environment, you`ll be ok. I waxed a car during twilight once and while applying the damn thing started to "dew" OMG i wanted to punch a baby after that.

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    not to hi jack the thread but to stay along the same wave length....

what`s the lowest temp to use OCW after a ONR wash ??? lots of snow coming already which means lots of salt....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by getcha
    ..50 degrees shouldn`t pose much of a problem you will just have to wait slightly longer (which you shouldnt allow 885/476 to really dry or haze anyway) for the product to set up...

Agree with the above, other than the bit about not letting it fully dry; I always wait until it`ll fully pass the finger-swipe test.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^same here. If you put it on thin enough, you can leave it sit on there `til `tssdetailing` is done roughin` up that toddler and not have an issue....except maybe with Social Services.

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHHAHAA...nice. Most todlers can take me...i`m about eye-level with them!

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chris01i30
    My garage hovers around 50 or so in that kind of weather. The last thing I have left to do is apply a wax. Either Collinite 845 or FleetWax (which one?)

I`d just use 845. Getting a thin layer of a hard wax in cold weather is not something I`ve ever mastered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d buy/rent/borrow a kerosene heater or something like that. I tend to work better when comfortable, and I`ve spent enough nights freezing my butt in patrol bases to know that it`s worth the $$$ to be comfortable when possible. I`ve never played with FleetWax but the collinite stuff is pretty tough...

If you have a machine I`d go with poli-seal, JDoria hit my last car up with that and it a) looked insanely easy to put on and b) lasted a LONG time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the tips.

After 2 coats of 2180 (when it was a little warmer out) I added a first coat of Collinite 845 last night. Unfortunately I think it took a little away in terms of looks (the "Royal Ruby Metallic" on my car doesnt POP as much as with 2180 only), but I can get used to it because of the extra protection with the 845.

Come spring time Ill wash the car with Dawn and reapply a few coats of 2180.

Post Thanks / Like
    after a winter, is the dawn wash really necessary ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe, maybe not....but since Id be applying sealant I wanted to be sure any carnuba (Collinite) was gone before putting the sealant back on.

If I was using another carnuba product Id just go right over the car after a good wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m going with 845 once winter is over and then have alot of layers by next winter

Thread Information