Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently I`m working on my own personal car my 98` vette, while using a medium compound today to remove some lighter to heaver scratches from my finish I ran into a problem.... Micro marring everywhere, what did I do wrong, I never had a problem with compounding with 105 and 205. Is it the flex, compound or the towels?

Products used:

Chemical Guys Laser Buff

Orange CSS Pad Flat

Flex DA

Pro Force Microfiber Towels (80% 20%)
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    were you putting a lot of pressure down on the machine while buffing? That may do it. Sometime you`ll get that if its too aggresive of a product on a soft clear but vettes aren`t soft. Not sure man, maybe too much pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you keeping the machine flat? Pressure might be the other issue, or possibly overworking the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    if the only pad you are using is the orange pad then you are gonna get some marring. yoiu need to step down to a less aggressive pad and polish combo to remove what the orange pad left

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keep_it_clean
    if the only pad you are using is the orange pad then you are gonna get some marring. yoiu need to step down to a less aggressive pad and polish combo to remove what the orange pad left

yeah I use medium pressure with the orange pad, do you use pressure with the flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Euro
    Are you keeping the machine flat? Pressure might be the other issue, or possibly overworking the product.

yeah, with no vibration other than the machine oscillating.

Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    were you putting a lot of pressure down on the machine while buffing? That may do it. Sometime you`ll get that if its too aggresive of a product on a soft clear but vettes aren`t soft. Not sure man, maybe too much pressure?

the clear on the corvette are insane, the littlest of scratches are so hard to get out with a da polisher
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`DetailnByDustn`]yeah I use medium pressure with the orange pad, do you use pressure with the flex?

i dont have a Flex i have a PC and DeWalt rotay. i never have and not sure if anyone has finished with an orange pad to a swilr/marring free finish. use a finishing pad and finishing polish

\

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keep_it_clean
    [quote name=`DetailnByDustn`]yeah I use medium pressure with the orange pad, do you use pressure with the flex?

i dont have a Flex i have a PC and DeWalt rotay. i never have and not sure if anyone has finished with an orange pad to a swilr/marring free finish. use a finishing pad and finishing polish

\

Well I used a white css pad with pro polish/ pcxp after compounding the finish no luck
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    After 105 and an orange pad, move down to 205 and a white pad and then move down to 85rd and a gray pad. If you want the ultimate finish move down to Ultrafina and a blue pad (jeweling).

Post Thanks / Like
    ProPolish is mostly a chemical cleaner, you need to step back up to something with some cut to take that marring out. Either that or you`re not breaking down the Laser Buff long enough, I find that stuff usually finishes out pretty well. That`s the purple stuff, right? Try the pink. Bottom line, is you`re not doing enough steps, you need to step down from the coarser steps to finer. If you skip too many steps, what you are finishing with won`t remove the previous marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    After 105 and an orange pad, move down to 205 and a white pad and then move down to 85rd and a gray pad. If you want the ultimate finish move down to Ultrafina and a blue pad (jeweling).

Well, I sold all my stuff because most of chemical guy`s chemicals and products are twice to three times as cheap as the competitors and most of them can be diluted. I order some menzerna products from detailed image and they should be here tuesday. When I get a little more money Im going to buy 105 and 205 again because it was so easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    ProPolish is mostly a chemical cleaner, you need to step back up to something with some cut to take that marring out. Either that or you`re not breaking down the Laser Buff long enough, I find that stuff usually finishes out pretty well. That`s the purple stuff, right? Try the pink. Bottom line, is you`re not doing enough steps, you need to step down from the coarser steps to finer. If you skip too many steps, what you are finishing with won`t remove the previous marring.

Yeah, it has a light purple color to it. Ill post a video on youtube showing the exact process I was using when buffing and see if you guys can pick up what Im doing wrong. Your right on the pink compound after the laser buff.

Quote Originally Posted by juicejuice
    Thank you for sharing!

?
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Dustin, there`s been a few times where I put micro marring in to very hard clear coats with a DA that I could then *not* get out without using a rotary. Of course, that was before the days of 105 and 205, but I guess the main point is on really hard clears, DA`s can cause micro marring that is a huge, huge, PITA to get out.

When I had this problem, I switched over to PFW and SIP via rotary, and it got the micro marring out in a hurry.

If you don`t have a rotary as an option, I`d definitely got some M205 and see how it goes. I would also highly recommend using an LC white pad or even a no bite pad to do this. DA`s and cutting foam just do not play well on hard clears. Micro marring nightmare. Use as gentle of a pad as you have, then change the polish as needed to get the job done. You might even consider using the polish that caused this problem with a zero bite pad and see how it goes (in a small section, of course).

You might find yourself surprised at how aggressive you have to get to get rid of DA induced micro marring on hard clear. I sure was.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Dustin, there`s been a few times where I put micro marring in to very hard clear coats with a DA that I could then *not* get out without using a rotary. Of course, that was before the days of 105 and 205, but I guess the main point is on really hard clears, DA`s can cause micro marring that is a huge, huge, PITA to get out.

When I had this problem, I switched over to PFW and SIP via rotary, and it got the micro marring out in a hurry.

If you don`t have a rotary as an option, I`d definitely got some M205 and see how it goes. I would also highly recommend using an LC white pad or even a no bite pad to do this. DA`s and cutting foam just do not play well on hard clears. Micro marring nightmare. Use as gentle of a pad as you have, then change the polish as needed to get the job done. You might even consider using the polish that caused this problem with a zero bite pad and see how it goes (in a small section, of course).

You might find yourself surprised at how aggressive you have to get to get rid of DA induced micro marring on hard clear. I sure was.

Thats what I ended up doing, using power finish with an orange pad 95% of all imperfection were removed and 100% of micro marring eliminated and the gloss looks killer!
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes Random Deep Scratches (RDS) can look very much like micromarring. It`s hard to tell sometimes until you start working on removing it.

I had a couple of scratches that looked very shallow, thin, and small. From eyeballing it using a double 500w halogen and a Brinkmann swirl gun, I thought those scratches were micro-marring, and proceeded to removing it with PO106FA. However it didn`t budge. Turns out that they were actually much deeper than they appeared. Those micro-marring were caused by my Hugo Boss jacket rubbing on the rear quarter panel. To top it off, I had to spend $20 to have the suit dry cleaned because the car was soo dirty.

Ironically, swirls that LOOK deeper and are more irritating to look at are much easier to remove than some scratches that look like micro-marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the_invisible
    Sometimes Random Deep Scratches (RDS) can look very much like micromarring. It`s hard to tell sometimes until you start working on removing it.

I had a couple of scratches that looked very shallow, thin, and small. From eyeballing it using a double 500w halogen and a Brinkmann swirl gun, I thought those scratches were micro-marring, and proceeded to removing it with PO106FA. However it didn`t budge. Turns out that they were actually much deeper than they appeared. Those micro-marring were caused by my Hugo Boss jacket rubbing on the rear quarter panel. To top it off, I had to spend $20 to have the suit dry cleaned because the car was soo dirty.

Ironically, swirls that LOOK deeper and are more irritating to look at are much easier to remove than some scratches that look like micro-marring.

Very true, the micro marring was not there when I started detailing my car, so it had to be either the compound/pad/or polisher. When I switch to menzerna PO the micro marring disappeared and I was lift with utter amazement , not to fond of chemical guys line of compounds not the best Ive worked with, it takes more time to get rid of all the swirls left in the paint after one pass with a medium compound. Menzerna breaks down just like a polish and the results are impeccable by far the best Ive used.
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information