Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting ready to detail a black pt cruiser (not sure what year, but it looks like early 2000`s model), and I need some advice on the process that I`m planning to use. This will be done by hand. I have already washed the car thoroughly and dried it with a chamois. I inspected the paint, and it looks like there are some scratches (not too deep, though), and some white scuffs of paint where it looks like someone bumped the car. The paint also has swirls and holograms in it. The paint has definitely been neglected. I don`t have time to clay it, so I hope it will still look good without that step. The paint doesn`t feel rough when I felt it.

1. Megs Ultimate compound,

2. Klasse AIO, or Megs 81 hand polish (not sure which one is best),

3. Collinite 845 for the LSP.

I`m also going to use AIO on the windows because they have lots of water spots. I`ll use megs trim detailier for the plastic bumper on the back of the car, and wheel wax on the chrome wheels.

Do you have any better advice for me about what products to use? I`d appreciate any help you can give me. This is my first time with a black car, and I want the paint to pop as much as can be done by hand. Thanks!!

:heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Add clay and maybe use some #7 to cover the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would find time to clay the car. The paint may not feel rough, however, you might be surprised at what the clay actually removes. Other than that, your other steps are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zjm8
    I would find time to clay the car. The paint may not feel rough, however, you might be surprised at what the clay actually removes. Other than that, your other steps are good.

OK.....I`ve never clayed a car before, and since I`m a newbie, I`m afraid of screwing up my friend`s car. Does clay really make that much of a difference? And if I clay, is there a step in my process (in previous post) that I can skip? Need more muscle endurance power in the ol` arms to do this big of a job....

:faint:

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay will turn your detailing world upside down. It makes a huge difference. If you want to skip a step, go:

Wash

Clay

UC or AIO

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay is unlikely to hurt anything - just make sure to use plenty of lube. You want the clay to move smoothly without "catching" at all. Makes a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    YES! Success! As good of a finish as I could get by hand. But it took FOREVER!!

Clayed for the first time, and it works great! But the only thing is that it is a PITA to wipe all the lube off after you clay a panel. Other than that, it`s easy. The clay picked up a lot of junk on the trunk of the pt cruiser. The roof and hood weren`t too bad.

After all this work, I have concluded 2 things:

1. Megs Ultimate compound works great, but it is a royal pain in the arm to take off. I CAN"T WAIT for my flex polisher that I`m getting for Christmas. Polishing by hand sucks! And Wolfgang products should be great to use.

2. I see why people love black cars. It was so nice to detail this car! I could really see the results of my efforts. The paint looks great, even by hand. I have always detailed light colored cars, and this was my first time with black paint. I really loved seeing it pop! But I guess the trade-off in owning a black car is you have to wash it all the time.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate your knowledge very much.

:woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, what did you end up using in the end?

Totally agree, black is the best and worst colour!!!

Getting the polisher is going to take your work to the next level, good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spooks
    Well done, what did you end up using in the end?

Totally agree, black is the best and worst colour!!!

Getting the polisher is going to take your work to the next level, good luck

I ended up using the products I listed in my first post, but added clay step 1st on the horizontal surfaces after thoroughly washing the car.

1. Megs Ultimate compound,

2. Klasse AIO,

3. Collinite 845 for the LSP.

Turned out pretty good for work by hand.

Thread Information