Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking to buy some halogen stand lights. I`m thinking the ones that have two lights. What brand and what wattage is recommended?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got Craftsman 1000w halogens and its working great! If you can wait till black Friday, you can get them for $29.99 plus a work light for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you have too much light? Is anything over 1000 too much?

Post Thanks / Like
    My *really* crappy cheap ones actually show flaws *better* than my nice Craftsman ones for some reason, must have to do with the reflectors or something.

Don`t worry about too much light, most let you choose different levels of output. More is generally better, but it *can* be a bit too dazzling when dealing with metallics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    My *really* crappy cheap ones actually show flaws *better* than my nice Craftsman ones for some reason, must have to do with the reflectors or something.

Don`t worry about too much light, most let you choose different levels of output. More is generally better, but it *can* be a bit too dazzling when dealing with metallics.

Yeah, I just have a set of no name brand ones and they show a lot as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought these

and they should be in by the end of this week. I asked the same question with similar responses. They were $37 shipped =]
    i thank GOD a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: 1000W halogen lights.

I recently bought two different stands from Home Depot.

The first was a yellow halogen work light, w/two light heads totaling 1000W for $19.99. It was referenced on this forum in another thread a while back. Last I looked they were still available (but not sure of the price now). They don`t appear on the HD website. Total height is about 3 1/2 to 4ft high. 1-yr. warranty, 6ft. cord. While inexpensive and not heavy duty, it worked quite well this week when illuminating the garage for cabinet assembly. For 20 bucks, they are pretty good.

Second, is a better stand from HD for $38.99. HUSKY brand (HD owns/markets Husky), twin light heads mounted to a removable base (that can be used separately if you want the lights on the ground or any other surface). Total height, I believe if 6ft. 12ft. cord, 3-yr. warranty, spare bulb and multi-level illumination switches. Reddish-orange in color, much heavier duty/larger diameter pole tubing, etc.. I believe that HD was either discontinuing or selling off extra inventory as the price was marked down from $45 to $39. Again, this product is not on their website. The convertibility, height/tubing size, extra bulb, 3-yr. warranty, etc. for $39 is pretty good. I like it. Whether you can find it at your local HD is the issue. But, take a look. It is the only HUSKY, twin light, telescoping pole, 1000W work light they have.

That`s what I know - either will be bright enough for swirl/defect identification.

See ya. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

This. Im none to impressed with my $49 craftsmans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 250w and 500w pods but by far the best swirl lighter is my 100 watt equivelant and 150 watt eq CFL lights. My paint looks absolutely horrible with it! LOL. With everything else it looks great. I didn`t know I had that many water spots.

I`m in a small garage so that might be part of it but the 100w CFL on the wall always lit up the swirls on the front of the hood which I just figured was worse than the rest. But then I put a 150w eq CFL in a drop light and went around the car with it. If you look at an angle opposite the light, my god the paint looks awful... It shows every swirl and blemish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tenorplayer23

The first was a yellow halogen work light, w/two light heads totaling 1000W for $19.99. It was referenced on this forum in another thread a while back. Last I looked they were still available (but not sure of the price now). They don`t appear on the HD website. Total height is about 3 1/2 to 4ft high. 1-yr. warranty, 6ft. cord. While inexpensive and not heavy duty, it worked quite well this week when illuminating the garage for cabinet assembly. For 20 bucks, they are pretty good.

I`ve got this one too and so far I am really happy with it. It illuminates defects wonderfully and makes working at night much easier. My only complaint is thta they get hot really easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone use or have a set of wide angle halogen lights and does the angles help? i noticed big lots has a few halogen wide angle light stands (like the ones pictured below)as well as LED...

Post Thanks / Like
    BigAl3- Huh, I can see pros and cons to those :think:

Thread Information