Post Thanks / Like
    Can i use steel wool (0000) to clean the inside of some BMW wheels? I have used p21s gel cleaner and they are clean but has some rusted little spots all over the back side....i dont know if BMW wheels are coated on the back side.. Is it safe to use some p21s gel wheel cleaner with some steel wool to get them back to like new conditions only in the inside of the rim not on the outside? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    if the wheels are coated then no you shouldn`t be using steel wool on them. For the little spots try using a clay bar to get them off. would be a safer option than steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have used a clay bar with no sucess.... which is why i wanted to use the steel wool....

That is the thing I dont know if they are coated... how would i determine that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use #0000 with Megs #66 (I guess you could use ColorX) on very old or poorly maintained wheels. It knocks off the brake dust in a few strokes where hours of polishing with a heavy compound won`t. #0000 is equivalent to 1000-1500 grit. Does it damage the wheel coating? Yes. So does leaving the brake dust on the wheels. I follow with a light polish and it restores the shine.

Would I ever use it on new wheels, no. But when Meg`s Wheel Brightner doesn`t cut it, I reach for the steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    On coated wheels that have very, and I stress VERY light rusting, I have had success with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on a microfiber to remove the small rust spots; and it works very well.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    MaryP- Welcome to Autopia!

Note that the finish on the back sides of wheels is usually *VERY* thin and rather fragile; it`s easy to get too aggressive with it and expose the underlying (bare) aluminum.

When clay won`t work, I like using acidic products to take care of ferrous contamination, and may potent wheel cleaners are acidic anyhow. I`ll often clay while the acid is dwelling, but that does compromise the clay pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t try any type of padded abrasive, not even gray scotch brite. Any time I deal with rust on wheels or exhaust, the first thing I grab is EagleOne Neverdull. Yes, it`s rather old school and cheap, but amazes me every time. Just tare off a small piece of wad, work the rusted areas with the wad until the rust is gone, let the residue sit for a couple minutes and polish it with a MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Nev-r Dull work on finished surfaces though?

I have had amazing results with it on AC lines, and whatnot under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I like using acidic products to take care of ferrous contamination, and may potent wheel cleaners are acidic anyhow.

X2 - You`re speaking my language here. ^^^
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    post some pics up if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke
    Would Nev-r Dull work on finished surfaces though?

In the cases where it`s aggressive enough you have to be careful that it`s not *too* aggressive. I wouldn`t be leaning towards that for the back sides of wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acid can be your friend if used right... hard to find though... used to use it all the time when I worked at the dealerships... can`t find anywhere to get it now though...
    2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee

2006 Chrysler 300C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuySkye
    Acid can be your friend if used right... hard to find though... used to use it all the time when I worked at the dealerships... can`t find anywhere to get it now though...

You could always try the acidic part of a decontamination system from AutoInt/ValuGard or FK. Mild compared to something like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener, but mabye potent enough.

TOL`s Wheel Wash (I think that`s the name) is pretty good; they call it nonacidic for some reason but it seems like a good medium-strength acid to me, can cloud bare aluminum if you`re not careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuySkye

You are correct...I got lucky and ordered some off the internet. A few days later, I got a phone call from the company telling me that they could not ship the wheel acid due to regulations, however, since they already charged my credit card, she said that she will ship it anyway, but this time only...
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Thread Information