Post Thanks / Like
    I just did my first ever hood with a PC. I`m using Menzerna micro polish on a 2 year old Altima. The paint`s not that bad and was pro detailed once over the summer (not great). How long should it take to get the polish broken down? I`m going very slow ( 1"per sec) moderate pressure on 4.5 with a white CCM pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    what`s the speed like on the PC? It will differ a tiny bit from person to person because things like the weather and humidity have a lot to do with how long a product can be worked until it flashes over.

When the polish has broke down it will look very light and almost oily looking. At that point you can stop and wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jump around this link and you`ll find some good videos that show good techique and a video display of breakdown stages.

Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Some Menzerna users (SuperBee364 comes to mind), like to keep working the product *past* the "oily appearance" stage. The trick is to do this without drying out the product too much.

Speed 4.5 is lower than I use, but I have very limited experience with Menzerna stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK here`s my problem in pictures from the above link: If you look at the two pictures at the below link of the polish being spread and then being all broken down, they look pretty much the same. That was my problem, I didn`t know when to stop!

Look at pics 4 and 5:

Polish Break Down Stages - Menzerna PO85RD

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m curious about this process as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    simple answer the polish breaks down with the surface is slick like glass...and the remainder or the polish is dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, the area of operation in the pics is larger than I like to work, but maybe that`s just me :nixweiss

While I buff some finishing polishes until they`re basically gone (and I don`t have enough experience with Menzerna to say how to use *that*), in some cases there can be a risk of micromarring when you "dry buff" by keeping at it until the product turns to powder.

I`d search out SuperBee364`s post on how he uses Menzerna.

Post Thanks / Like
    My ears are burning.

Note that this is with a rotary, but it should work the same with a PC, and this is primarily RyDawg`s fault, as he`s the one that told me about working Menzerna finishing polishes longer than, um, "normal". But when was the last time we accused RyDawg of being "normal"?

This works best if you are working under direct halogen lighting, otherwise it`s hard to really see the appearance of the polish.

Most guys stop working diminishing abrasive polishes as soon as they turn clear, and that`s good, that`s normally when you`d want to stop. Menzerna *finishing* polishes (this does *not* apply for SIP, IP, or Power Gloss) have two different levels of "clear", though. The first stage is what you`d see with other diminishing abrasives: the polish goes "clear". Don`t stop at this point. Continue working the polish (as long as it hasn`t dried on you. If it dries, stop and re-apply) until it looks like you just put vegetable oil on your paint. It will look very glossy and very oily.

It may take you a couple of applications to get the polish to give you this long of a working time. I don`t know why (maybe the accumulation of lubes?), but the more applications you do of a Menz finishing polish, the longer your available working time. Just remember that you do need to stop if the polish dries up on you. Just stop, remove the residue with an MF, re-apply some more polish, and start the break down process over again. Having a very well primed pad helps a lot, too.

Also, don`t use a lot of pressure when you do this. The more pressure you use, the more heat build up you`ll get, the quicker the polish will dry up on you. On a PC, use speed six and light pressure.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    My ears are burning.

Note that this is with a rotary, but it should work the same with a PC, and this is primarily RyDawg`s fault, as he`s the one that told me about working Menzerna finishing polishes longer than, um, "normal". But when was the last time we accused RyDawg of being "normal"?

This works best if you are working under direct halogen lighting, otherwise it`s hard to really see the appearance of the polish.

Most guys stop working diminishing abrasive polishes as soon as they turn clear, and that`s good, that`s normally when you`d want to stop. Menzerna *finishing* polishes (this does *not* apply for SIP, IP, or Power Gloss) have two different levels of "clear", though. The first stage is what you`d see with other diminishing abrasives: the polish goes "clear". Don`t stop at this point. Continue working the polish (as long as it hasn`t dried on you. If it dries, stop and re-apply) until it looks like you just put vegetable oil on your paint. It will look very glossy and very oily.

It may take you a couple of applications to get the polish to give you this long of a working time. I don`t know why (maybe the accumulation of lubes?), but the more applications you do of a Menz finishing polish, the longer your available working time. Just remember that you do need to stop if the polish dries up on you. Just stop, remove the residue with an MF, re-apply some more polish, and start the break down process over again. Having a very well primed pad helps a lot, too.

Also, don`t use a lot of pressure when you do this. The more pressure you use, the more heat build up you`ll get, the quicker the polish will dry up on you. On a PC, use speed six and light pressure.

Nice post Bee! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    My ears are burning.

I was hoping you`d chime in Thanks for rehashing this again.

... Having a very well primed pad helps a lot, too...

Yeah, I primed my pad almost KBM-style, which might seem counter-intuitive with a diminishing-abrasive polish.

Yeah, that does make for more pad changes/cleaning, but not as much as you might think.

Thread Information