Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As some of you may have read in recent threads, Infiniti has developed a new "scratch shield" paint which self corrects. The heat of the sun seems to melt the clear coat removing mild marring. Or something like that.

Anyways, it seems this CC is notoriously soft and difficult to work with. Who better than to take on this challenge than the guy who`s never done any real polishing in his life and just bought a new, JET BLACK g37! Wooo!

Ok, so I obviously have quite a challenge ahead of me. I`ve already purchased as much product as I will ever so its now time to put together a game plan. This is where I need your help.

Available products for polishing w/PC:

Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish

D151

Meguiar`s Scratch X

KAIO

ZAIO

So, I`m thinking D151 via LC CCS White/Green. What would you guys recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the paint is swirl free right now, you should be able to keep it that way by using proper washing techniques. I have a customer with a black EX35 with the self healing paint and it is pretty swirl free-and it is an outside car. It does have some scratches that are pretty deep and I guess they are beyond the limits of the self correction ability of the paint. I used Optimum Poli-Seal with a yellow Meguiars polishing pad with pretty good results on that car.

Quite honestly, as a detailer, I`d never get a jet black Infiniti or BMW. After detailing several of them, it would be too much to maintain after detailing other people`s cars all day.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If the paint is swirl free right now, you should be able to keep it that way by using proper washing techniques. I have a customer with a black EX35 with the self healing paint and it is pretty swirl free-and it is an outside car. It does have some scratches that are pretty deep and I guess they are beyond the limits of the self correction ability of the paint. I used Optimum Poli-Seal with a yellow Meguiars polishing pad with pretty good results on that car.

Quite honestly, as a detailer, I`d never get a jet black Infiniti or BMW. After detailing several of them, it would be too much to maintain after detailing other people`s cars all day.

Lol thanks Scott :nervous2:

My previous car was BMW Space Gray and showed very little marring or the effort I put into my details. I`m looking forward to a black car because I believe it`ll allow me to really learn polishing and see the fruits of my labor.

How strong is Meguiar`s yellow polishing pad? I only ask because I`d assume a CCS Green/White should have enough teeth for this job. But if I`m using a product like D151 (which I want to become familiar with) I`m thinking a pad with ZERO bite (Blue?) may just be enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought... But if the sun`s heat "Corrects" the CC can one just use a heat gun to do a correction on one of these? Be an interested write up..

"Tools used..... Heat gun... Yep just a heat gun and I got perfect results" HAHA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danforz
    Lol thanks Scott :nervous2:

My previous car was BMW Space Gray and showed very little marring or the effort I put into my details. I`m looking forward to a black car because I believe it`ll allow me to really learn polishing and see the fruits of my labor.

Be careful for what you wish for...

How strong is Meguiar`s yellow polishing pad? I only ask because I`d assume a CCS Green/White should have enough teeth for this job. But if I`m using a product like D151 (which I want to become familiar with) I`m thinking a pad with ZERO bite (Blue?) may just be enough.

The yellow Meguiars polishing pad isn`t aggressive enough to haze any paint I`ve used it on.

Without the car in front of me, it is really hard to tell you where to start.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Just a thought... But if the sun`s heat "Corrects" the CC can one just use a heat gun to do a correction on one of these? Be an interested write up..

"Tools used..... Heat gun... Yep just a heat gun and I got perfect results" HAHA!

i tried to correct one with a hair dryer lol but i had it on the cool settings accidentily I couldn`t get no where! :LOLOL
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry
    i tried to correct one with a hair dryer lol but i had it on the cool settings accidentily I couldn`t get no where! :LOLOL

Cool setting is for jeweling only. What kind of air were you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were you I would NOT experiment on a new G37, especially since you are new to correction. The clear coat is extremely hard to work with and avoid it since there isnt "tools" (polish) to effectively correct the paint.

Like Scott said, just avoid it at the moment. It isnt worth it. And if you really want to get that marring or light scratches, the best you can do (even though I hate saying this) is to cover it with a glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NotZeroSix
    If I were you I would NOT experiment on a new G37, especially since you are new to correction. The clear coat is extremely hard to work with and avoid it since there isnt "tools" (polish) to effectively correct the paint.

Like Scott said, just avoid it at the moment. It isnt worth it. And if you really want to get that marring or light scratches, the best you can do (even though I hate saying this) is to cover it with a glaze.

So are you suggesting no ones effectively come up with a process to do these vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Danforz - Does you paint need correction or do you just want to bump up the gloss? Kinda important when you`re selecting products/processes.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Danforz - Does you paint need correction or do you just want to bump up the gloss? Kinda important when you`re selecting products/processes.

Primarily the later. Though the paint could use a dabble of correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Infiniti has a solvent based clearcoat that takes 3 years to cure. If this car is not at least 3 years old I would not recommend doing a heavy correction on it. If you use a machine make sure it`s a DA, a rotary can get too hot and warp the clear putting waves in it which is very hard to fix and may eventually lead to re-painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgersmith
    Infiniti has a solvent based clearcoat that takes 3 years to cure. If this car is not at least 3 years old I would not recommend doing a heavy correction on it. If you use a machine make sure it`s a DA, a rotary can get too hot and warp the clear putting waves in it which is very hard to fix and may eventually lead to re-painting.

I will be using a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the products you listed, your best bet would be the Blackfire. I`d try a couple of pads like LC white/black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Out of the products you listed, your best bet would be the Blackfire. I`d try a couple of pads like LC white/black.

So you`re going as far as to recommend a pad with no cut (black)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information