Post Thanks / Like
    I searched for a good half and hour and couldn`t find the answer I was looking for, I am interested in purchasing this kit,

Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer

but am at a loss as to which pads to choose? I am a complete beginner to using a machine, my car is loaded with swirls but other than that is in really good shape for a 96 camaro. I was planning on using menzerna 106 nano polish, but was going to get the next step up just in case (I forget exactly which it is), then seal with UPGP and top with something like natty blue.

If you were starting over, which pads would you start with?
    1996 Z28 A4 - Stock : (

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    More importantly than brand is the size of the pad. I would not go 6.5 with the PC, especially since your car is loaded w/swirls. 4 inch to cut and no bigger than 5.5 to finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Uber pads from Detailed Image. 5.5 inch. Work great for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    And if they`re 1" pads forget about it..............
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was asking about specifically which type, in this case orange, yellow, green, etc... I would rather double up on what I will probably use a lot than have 1 of everything

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinL67
    I was asking about specifically which type, in this case orange, yellow, green, etc... I would rather double up on what I will probably use a lot than have 1 of everything

Get some orange pads for serious correction.

I`d skip the yellow foam cutting pads, preferring PFW if the orange isn`t aggressive enough (big "if" when you`re just starting out IMO).

There are too many different green pads for me to keep them all straight, but you`ll need to find the right polishing pads, regardless of color, for your paint.

You might benefit from some finishing pads but most of the work will probably be done with more aggressive pads than that.

I too find 4" pads essential for timely/efficient correction via PC. I`d probably look into the Menzerna 203 (think that`s it... :think: ) if you want to use their stuff instead of, say, Meguiar`s M105.

If the clear on your `96 F-body is anything like the clear on my same-vintage B-bodies was, you`ll need something more aggressive than the 106 do do the correction. Give that some thought, I`d do almost all the work with something more aggressive and then finish up with the 106. Trying to do serious correction via 106 can lead to concealing and other issues, besides taking forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    The price break they give you on the pads by buying them as part of the over all kit is very small. You could get *exactly* the right pads (versus compromising on the size, which is what you`d be doing if you bought the kit in the link you provided), by buying them in a six-pack special price available from pretty much all the popular etailers.

The 6.5" pads *are* too big for the PC. If you are planning on using M105 and M205 as your primary polishes, then you could probably get by with just getting 5.5" (or smaller) pads, and calling it good. If you`re going to use other polishes, then you`ll want to consider using even smaller (down to 4") pads in order to get decent results.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    JustinL67:

Detailed image sells some LC 4" pad kits. Yes, these seem like "small" pads, and, yes, it will take a fair amount of time to polish out a vehicle, but for a beginner it`s probably the best way to start. You really need either the green or orange pad to start with. If those seem to take too long or don`t work to take out the swirls, then go to the yellow pad. As a last resort, the purple wool pad in those pad kits may be used, but that`s rather extreme.

If the Nano106 doesn`t work as a polish, try Megs M105 on a orange pad, then work your way up. I think it`s wise to start with the LEAST aggressive polish/pad and work you way up. Experience with polish and pads on your PC7424 will tell you in the future what you can start with in the future to work your way down with less aggressive polish and pads to get the finish you want. Yes, this advice seems counter-intuitive to what you should do in the beginning, but I am sure you`ve seen "hack" jobs on cars where the buffer swirls look worse than the car washing-user-induced swirls on "detailed" cars done byinexperienced do-it-yourselfers (and professed pro detailers!)

One more thing that may disappoint you is having your car look like those in click-n-brag. Again, those that do have ALOT of experience in machine polishing. Your first attempt may not be perfect, but with time and effort, you can get good, maybe even great. There is nothing like experience with good tools and materials.

One other word of advice: don`t place your polisher on its side to allow the pad to contact the on the floor or driveway. Have a cart or even a folding table or a sheet of CLEAN plastic (like a large kitchen cutting board) to place your PC7424 on. Sounds like common sense, but you`d be suprised how easy it is to "forget" this when you`re polishing to just place the PC down on the floor and have it fall over on the pad and get it dirty. Clean, uncontaminated pads are one of key to achieving a swirl-free finish.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    I use Uber pads from Detailed Image. 5.5 inch. Work great for me.

They`re from Detailers Domain, and yea, they work great. My favorite pads.

Their yellow is soft and cuts like a monster and finishes much better than the orange, it is nothing like the LC Yellow cutting pad.

Green- Good cut, finishes pretty well but sometimes needs a follow up step.

Blue- Finishing pad, works very well.

Black- Waxes/glazes, jeweling. I prefer to wax by hand so I never use it.

So OP, I would get Uber Green and Blue, unless the scratches are really deep, then pick up a couple yellows too. My main 3 polishes are M105, P203S(Power Finish), and PO85RD, that`s what I would recommend. Get the 4" sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found good luck keeping it simple

black for jewling (not needed for you) (106)

a lot of white for most of my polishings (sip/106)

orange for heavier compounding (sip)

pfw (purple foamed wool) for really heavy compounding where you don`t want to build up much heat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will check out the other options.

A little more on the car, I was looking at it today and it is really just COVERED in swirls, like it`s only seen machine washers for its 13 years, BUT aside from that it it really doesn`t have anything else. It`s either just swirls, or something a buffer could never fix to begin with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information