Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Autopia! I`ve been spending countless hours on this forum over the last couple weeks and it seems like I`m learning something new every minute. Thanks for all the amazing information!

I recently purchased a used Jet Black (flat black) 2008 BMW M3. This will be the first vehicle that I plan on washing / detailing myself on an on-going basis. As most of you might have experienced when first started, all of information on this site great but a bit overwhelming. So, I just wanted to get your input on my product selection and plan.

I`ve already purchased some items (mostly from Chemical Guys since their showroom is relatively close to me).

Car Wash - ONR

Clay Bar - CG blue clay bar (light), diluted ONR for lube

Is ONR good for clay lube or do you recommend another option?

Polish - None yet

I`m ordering a PC this weekend. However, I don`t know which direction to go for the polish and pads. I read countless threads on M105/205, but also read this might not be idea for beginners. Any suggestions for a beginner polishing a flat black car for the first time? I`m willing to spend a little bit of money on some good polish and pads, but I don`t know what to start off with.

Also, what recommendations do you have for pads? I`m thinking of going with LC 5" flat pads. I read suggestions of going 5" instead of 6" and flat pads instead of CCS for beginners. Do you agree?

Also, what color pads do I need for the polish you recommend?

Glaze - CG EZ-Creme

Is the glaze step necessary? I`ve already tested the EZ Creme, Jetseal 109 and 5050 combo on my girlfriend`s car and the EZ Creme step is the most time consuming part. Does it make a noticable difference or can I remove it from the process?

Sealant - CG Jetseal 109

Since I purchased the JS109, I`ve read a lot of great things about Optimum Opti-Seal. Should I return the JS109 and get the Opti-Seal?

Wax - CG 5050

Quick Detailer - Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detailer

I had this lying around from before. Is this good enough or should I purchase some FK 425 or Optimum Instant Detailer (as these 2 seem to be the most popular and high recommended QD)?

Also, when do I use the quick-detailer? Do I use it after I seal / wax or only after a normal wash?

Wheels - P21S, Swissvax Autobahn Wheel Wax

I just purchased a nice set of HRE wheels in brushed aluminum finish with clear coat. Given that I spent a good sum of money on these wheels, I`d like to protect them. Do you recommend the Swissvax or is there something else you recommend? Can I just use Jetseal / Opti-seal?

Interior - Leather Masters Strong Cleaner, Leather Masters Protection Cream, 303, 1Z Cockpit Premium

Would the 1Z Cockpit and 303 be redundant?

Misc. Items - Megs APC+, Black Wow, Stoner Invisible Glass, a bunch of MF towels / applicators / mitts

Items I feel like I`m missing:

1. Something to do routine cleaning on my leather seats. Can I just use 303 or 1Z Cockpit or do I need something else?
    2. Something for the wheel wells. Can I just use the Meg APC+ for this?
    3. Something to clean the engine compartment

Here`s my plan going forward:

Weekly or biweekly: Wash, QD, interior wipedown

Every 1 - 3 months: Wash, glaze, seal, wax, QD, interior with 303 / 1Z cockpit

Every 4 - 6 months: Wash, clay, polish as necessary, glaze, seal, wax, QD, interior clean / protect

Am I missing anything? Are there any products you think I should add to the list or remove / replace? How about my plan going forward? Sorry for throwing so much at you. I wanted to put everything in one thread so I can get advice on my overall plan.

Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Johnny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black M3

Car Wash - ONR Great

Clay Bar - CG blue clay bar (light), diluted ONR for lube

Is ONR good for clay lube or do you recommend another option? Fine.

Polish -Get the 105/205 and orange, white and black pads, probably in 4" for a PC. Dont be afraid.

Glaze - CG EZ-Creme If you polish your car to your satisfaction, a glaze really shouldnt be necessary, unless you want a little more "look". If I were you, Id skip it.

Sealant - CG Jetseal 109

Since I purchased the JS109, I`ve read a lot of great things about Optimum Opti-Seal. Should I return the JS109 and get the Opti-Seal? No. you can never have enough sealants. Keep it and buy the OS, or my fave, UPGP.

Wax - CG 5050 Lovely. Many love this wax. Although, I will still put a plug in for Poorboys Nattys Blue

Quick Detailer - Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detailer

I had this lying around from before. Is this good enough or should I purchase some FK 425 or Optimum Instant Detailer (as these 2 seem to be the most popular and high recommended QD)? Ive never been a fan of UQD. FK425 and Clearkote Quickshine are probably some of the best out there.

Also, when do I use the quick-detailer? Do I use it after I seal / wax or only after a normal wash? In between washes to bring the shines back up a bit. I have started using the ONR more and more in the place of the QD for safety reasons.

Wheels - Can I just use Jetseal / Opti-seal? Yes. You will love OS on your wheels

Interior - Leather Masters Strong Cleaner, Leather Masters Protection Cream, 303, 1Z Cockpit Premium

Would the 1Z Cockpit and 303 be redundant? Not a big interior guy, so im no help here.

Misc. Items - Megs APC+, Black Wow, Stoner Invisible Glass, a bunch of MF towels / applicators / mitts Wonderful. Cant have enough towels.

Items I feel like I`m missing:

1. Something for the wheel wells. Can I just use the Meg APC+ for this? Yes
    2. Something to clean the engine compartment APC+

Here`s my plan going forward:

Weekly or biweekly: Wash, QD, interior wipedown

Every 1 - 3 months: Wash, glaze, seal, wax, QD, interior with 303 / 1Z cockpit

Every 4 - 6 months: Wash, clay, polish as necessary, glaze, seal, wax, QD, interior clean / protect

Am I missing anything? Are there any products you think I should add to the list or remove / replace? How about my plan going forward? Sorry for throwing so much at you. I wanted to put everything in one thread so I can get advice on my overall plan.

Overall, sounds like a good plan. But dont be afraid to switch up your routine or plan as conditions warrant.

Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Johnny

Best wishes

Post Thanks / Like

Polish - None yet

I`m ordering a PC this weekend. However, I don`t know which direction to go for the polish and pads. I read countless threads on M105/205, but also read this might not be idea for beginners. Any suggestions for a beginner polishing a flat black car for the first time? I`m willing to spend a little bit of money on some good polish and pads, but I don`t know what to start off with.

Also, what recommendations do you have for pads? I`m thinking of going with LC 5" flat pads. I read suggestions of going 5" instead of 6" and flat pads instead of CCS for beginners. Do you agree?

Also, what color pads do I need for the polish you recommend?

For someone new to machine polishing I recommend a kit from Adam`s Polishes. They have made it "puddin` simple": Use the orange product (Swirl and Haze Remover - most aggressive) on an orange pad (most aggressive), the white product (Fine Machine Polish) on the white pad, and to finish, the black product (Super Machine Wax - really a sealant) on the black pads.

When you get comfortable with the products, pads, and machine you can mix them up a little for different cut levels. After you`re past the newbie stage, try other vendor`s products and pads, and you`ll already have a 6" backing plate.

Glaze - CG EZ-Creme

Is the glaze step necessary? I`ve already tested the EZ Creme, Jetseal 109 and 5050 combo on my girlfriend`s car and the EZ Creme step is the most time consuming part. Does it make a noticable difference or can I remove it from the process?

IMO, if you correct the finish you will not need the glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    craigdt

Thanks for all you advice. And thanks for the suggestion on UPGP. After I read your post, I spent a few hours reading up on UPGP and it seems like there is a lot of positive reviews on the product, especially when coupled with DWG or EZ-Crème (which I already have).

I have several follow-up questions. If I go with UPGP, do I still apply 5050 over it? It seems like I should since UPGP would be replacing JS109 and the folks at CG recommended using the 5050 over the JS109. However, I`ve read that if I apply carnuba over a sealant, I would have to remove the carnuba when it comes time to apply sealant again or new layer of sealant would not bond (not sure if this the correct word) properly. Is this true, because the folks at CG did not mention this? If yes, how do I remove the nuba?

mc2hill

Thanks for the Adam`s suggestion. I`ve reading mostly about Megs and Menzerna. I`ll look in Adams.

Any other comments or suggestions from others would be greatly appreciated.

-Johnny

Thread Information