Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys.. I need some help.

I`am working at a body shop currently, and we do wetsanding obviously..

Say we spray a hood, and it needs to be cut down a bit, we tackle it with 1500.

We have wool/foam pads, nothing to extravagant.. because it is a body shop..

We have 3M`s Perfect it 2 polish to cut the scratches out with(wool pad), then some random glazes in which we follow up with using a foam pad. For the dark colored cars, I myself purchased 3M`s superfina I beleive it`s called? Along with their baby blue foam pad to go along.

Here are my concerns. I want things changed up a bit, I need for you guys to provide me with a good cutting compound (Nothing to harsh, but good enough to take out the 1500 scratches w/o too many passes) With the 3M Perfect it, I have to pass the bufffer over numerous times. This is very time consuming. And of course I risk burning the clear. So please reccomend me something (a compound that doesn`t dust too much, that can cut 1500 fairly easy, and won`t put a million holograms inside the clear) And heck, a another pad you guys could tie together with it wouldn`t hurt either.

I will frequently check this thread for responses so we can share feedback, I`am doing ok with what I have, but there has to be some other method to attack this.

Thanks all! And keep in mind this is a body shop, not a detail shop! I just need some decent up to par items to better get things done. Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap, did you do a presentation at atlantic technical center with those 3m products???

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Meguiar`s M105 compound on Lake Country purple foamed wool pad to take out 2000 grit sanding marks on OEM clearcoat. I`d recommend this, but then again, I know how hard body shop clear coats are compared to OEM. Did you try 3M rubbing compound? I`ve used that before on 1500 sanding marks and leveled the clear nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope - Maroone Collison in Margate ~ Auto Nation.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it must have been another guy, but 3m came to ATC a couple months ago when I was there. He presented the same line to us. And I received a diploma, that says I completed the class. Pretty neat stuff I must say. ATC is 5 minutes from Maroone.

And david, one more thing since the body shop I`am at doesn`t have DA`s to wetsand with, could us going from 1500 to 3000 (Like you did) using hand sanding produce the same semi-gloss you achieved using the 3000 on your DA?

I think the 3000 looks as if it is key, but it could take more time.. It looks a million times easier to buff obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I may chime in, the PRESTA works great on 1500 scratches. Its called chroma polish, use with the PRESTA green wool nylon blend pad. You will certainly CHUCK all you 3m products out. I guarantee that. Just my opinion. The Ardex for black is body shop safe but it spatters if your not careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paintxpert
    If I may chime in, the PRESTA works great on 1500 scratches. Its called chroma polish, use with the PRESTA green wool nylon blend pad. You will certainly CHUCK all you 3m products out. I guarantee that. Just my opinion. The Ardex for black is body shop safe but it spatters if your not careful.

Anyone else have feedback on this product? And where can I find this btw? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solekeeper
    Well it must have been another guy, but 3m came to ATC a couple months ago when I was there. He presented the same line to us. And I received a diploma, that says I completed the class. Pretty neat stuff I must say. ATC is 5 minutes from Maroone.

Probably a guy named Luis Federico? He`s the Broward 3M Rep.

And david, one more thing since the body shop I`am at doesn`t have DA`s to wetsand with, could us going from 1500 to 3000 (Like you did) using hand sanding produce the same semi-gloss you achieved using the 3000 on your DA?

I think the 3000 looks as if it is key, but it could take more time.. It looks a million times easier to buff obviously.

How can a body shop not have a DA? How do they sand body work/prepfor paint? Doing it by hand won`t do the same thing. It`s so much easier to buzz down your 1500 grit scratches with 3000 Trizact. It absolutely makes a critical difference in the final finish. Call in your 3M rep and have them convert you over. You`ll never look back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

How can a body shop not have a DA? How do they sand body work/prepfor paint? Doing it by hand won`t do the same thing. It`s so much easier to buzz down your 1500 grit scratches with 3000 Trizact. It absolutely makes a critical difference in the final finish. Call in your 3M rep and have them convert you over. You`ll never look back.

Words of pure wisdom right here....

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else have feedback on this product? And where can I find this btw? Thanks!

Presta has always been my go to product. You should also check out their "Fast Wax", It has very limited silicone resins and is body shop safe. Also very easy to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a small body shop and i understand what you`re looking for. I`ll keep it brief...

Do NOT get the Lake Country Purple wool pads shown below.

This IS the wool pad to get. And the backing plate.

Must have at least 3 different compounds/polishes...

Compound: Mark-V MV350 and Meguiars M105

Middle Polish: Menzerna Intensive Polish and Meguiars M205

Final Polish: Menzerna Final Polish II and 3M Ultrafina

Must have at least 3 different pads. Get as many as you can of these...

Micro-Surface Black Lambs wool

Lake Country White foam

Lake Country Black foam

Finish sand to at least 2000 grit. Meguairs Unigrit, Nikkens and/or Eagle brand.

Yes, i`ve spent countless hours (dollars too) trying all sorts of stuff (clears and primers too).

The products I listed above are excellent. And despite the recommended rpms to work the

products, you can be extremely efficient working around 900 - 1200 rpm (max) on fresh paint (hard or soft).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Probably a guy named Luis Federico? He`s the Broward 3M Rep.

We have DA`s obviously, I didn`t know that the regular DA`s could be used for the wetsanding as well though?

And yes the name Luis does sound familiar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a lot to say, really... And I`ll answer your questions shortly with a few tips

that should interest you. I know someone using the new 3M line and dry sanding

all his jobs with Trizact. And if he like s the system, then it`s good enough for

everyone. However, I still wet sand as it`s mostly dust nibs I`m dealing with...

Are you sanding down dust nibs? Or are you sanding complete to reduce orange peel?

How long does it take you to sand and polish a hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of dust most of the time....

Once in awhile we sand to reduce OP

I`d say to completely sand a hood for reduced OP/Buff/Glaze it takes about an an hour and half? I can`t even tell you to be honest... i never keep track, but it is very Time consuming. (Knocking out the sandscratches) Which is 1st step..

Thread Information