Post Thanks / Like
    Can you put Sealers over Cleaner waxes? I know sealers generally aren`t supposed to be put over waxes, but I wasn`t sure if the same applied to cleaner waxes. What about cleaner wax over a sealer? Will the cleaner wax remove the sealer? I`m usually detail in this order:

1) wash/dry vehicle

2) polish

3) cleaner wax

4) wax

I never really used many sealers, but after reading so many threads about them, I was thinking about trying sealers out. But I`m confused about the two. IS it basically a choice between using either a sealer or a cleaner wax? Or can a sealer be an added step to my routine? I just don`t want to put a layer of sealer, just to be removed by the cleaner wax.

Flex 3401 VRG / DeWalt 849, CSS Pads / Collinite Products

2006 Pontiac GTO , 2001 Dodge Durango R/T, 2002 Pontiac GrandAm

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    True polymer sealants-no synthetic waxes should work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s7n7a7k7e
    Can you put Sealers over Cleaner waxes? I know sealers generally aren`t supposed to be put over waxes, but I wasn`t sure if the same applied to cleaner waxes. What about cleaner wax over a sealer? Will the cleaner wax remove the sealer? I`m usually detail in this order:

1) wash/dry vehicle

2) polish

3) cleaner wax

4) wax

I never really used many sealers, but after reading so many threads about them, I was thinking about trying sealers out. But I`m confused about the two. IS it basically a choice between using either a sealer or a cleaner wax? Or can a sealer be an added step to my routine? I just don`t want to put a layer of sealer, just to be removed by the cleaner wax.
    If you just polished a cleaner wax is not necessary. Just do an IPA wipe down and apply sealant or wax or both. A cleaner wax is normally used when no polishing is done and you want to remove the old lsp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    If you just polished a cleaner wax is not necessary. Just do an IPA wipe down and apply sealant or wax or both. A cleaner wax is normally used when no polishing is done and you want to remove the old lsp.

But if you use a cleaner wax to remove the old LSP, wouldn`t it remove the old sealer as well? Wouldn`t that also mean that a new sealant couldn`t be put back on since, you just used a cleaner wax on it? Sorry for the barrage of questions. Just trying to get my facts straight, lol.

:think2

Flex 3401 VRG / DeWalt 849, CSS Pads / Collinite Products

2006 Pontiac GTO , 2001 Dodge Durango R/T, 2002 Pontiac GrandAm

Post Thanks / Like
    But if you use a cleaner wax to remove the old LSP, wouldn`t it remove the old sealer as well? Wouldn`t that also mean that a new sealant couldn`t be put back on since, you just used a cleaner wax on it? Sorry for the barrage of questions. Just trying to get my facts straight, lol.

I`m not an expert, but here`s what I am thinking:

1) I would presume that a "cleaner wax" would remove at least some or all of the sealant. Its product dependent to some extent.

2) I wouldn`t put sealant over any type of wax. You can layer wax over a sealant, but to my knowledge, you cannot do the reverse.

In your routine, even as it stands, I don`t think that you need the cleaner wax. If you have polish residue, you can get rid of it with IPA. Then you would apply a sealant if you`re itching to.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it will probably remove the sealant too. You may or maynot have some bonding issues with a sealant over a cleaner wax. That`s why it`s best just to do an IPA wipe down before sealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were gonna use a sealant, I`d use a sealant-friendly AIO first.

If I used a cleaner-wax, I`d top it with a wax.

Guess I`m just missing the point...why try to mix-and-match basically incompatible approaches :nixweiss

And yeah, a decent cleaner-wax will "clean off" whatever`s already on the paint, including a sealant. Otherwise it wouldn`t be much of a cleaner-wax IMO.

If you want to clean your LSP beyond a regular wash, I`d just use Sonus green Ultra-fine clay (very gently).

Thread Information