Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s up to the individual states. We aren`t Kalifornia, thankfully.

Auto washes that recycle their water have been allowed to continue operating even in our drought. It`s not a question of being eco-friendly, it`s a question of convienence.

Hate to be the one to break it to you. The importance of being overly eco-friendly is only important to people when it doesn`t interrupt convienence or practicality.

But that`s not the focus of this thread, is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re right. The topic of this thread is future Turtle Wax consumer products... Not commercial car washes, bashing other people`s home state, or having your head in the ground about saving water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
    That`s up to the individual states. We aren`t Kalifornia, thankfully.

Auto washes that recycle their water have been allowed to continue operating even in our drought. It`s not a question of being eco-friendly, it`s a question of convienence.

Hate to be the one to break it to you. The importance of being overly eco-friendly is only important to people when it doesn`t interrupt convienence or practicality.

But that`s not the focus of this thread, is it?

You`re right. The topic of this thread is future Turtle Wax consumer products... Not commercial car washes, bashing other people`s home state, or having your head in the ground about saving water.

Post Thanks / Like
    All this off-topic conversation must have scared Mr. Turtle Wax away from our forum? I thought he was going to stick around to contribute a little more to our community.....put another log on the fire I guess. :geez
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

What I said wasn`t a question of saving water. What I stated, and you even quoted, was that eco-friendly wasn`t what most people think of. Marketing and sales of products from aspirin to zebra brushes bears that out. And like I said before, if you don`t believe that, just look at products marketed to parents for kids. Facts, my friend.

I`m all about preserving the environment (three kids, hello). But the simple facts are, until companies can put eco-friendly products out there that do not compromise convienence or price, the general public will not elevate them to sales above and beyond the standard products.

Jane Doe isn`t going to buy a product that`s 20% more effective at saving the environment when it`s 50% more expensive and takes 25% more time. That`s just how our country is, chief. People buy products because it A) saves money, or saves time. For the majority, anything outside of that is well down the line of priorities.

If you don`t believe that, then I can`t help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    All this off-topic conversation must have scared Mr. Turtle Wax away from our forum?

I suspect he`s pretty busy... we are coming up on SEMA time.

Speaking of that, did y`all see this: SEMA Show Enthusiast Research Program | Specialty Equipment Market Association

Post Thanks / Like
    I think TW gets a bad image from some of their products back in the day. It`s kind of like Hyundai in a way. Even though they make some good cars today, people are still reminded of the poor quality cars that were made when they first came out and they simply won`t buy one.

Just my $.02

BTW, welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Takes time to change public perception. I have no doubt that TW has the ability to produce great products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    I think TW gets a bad image from some of their products back in the day. It`s kind of like Hyundai in a way. Even though they make some good cars today, people are still reminded of the poor quality cars that were made when they first came out and they simply won`t buy one.

Just my $.02

BTW, welcome to Autopia!

You know, that`s probably the best analogy I`ve seen yet. Imagine how many people would drool over the Genesis Coupe if it were from Lexus or Honda.

If there`s an equiv of a `Under New Ownership` banner for a mega corporation like TW, they need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    TWax,

First... I think that it`s incredibly smart to come to the detailing forums looking for input. Second, FWIW, I think that there is a greater opportunity for market penetration than going toe to toe with Zaino, et al. (Don`t get me wrong, when you`ve truly invented the ten-year, swirl-free, one-application sealant, [and someone will] we`ll all buy it.)

But why not target the "unwashed masses" (pun intended)? How many cars on the road are never washed or waxed.... 75%, 90%? Put together a clever marketing/educational campaign making it cool to take care of your car.

How effective do you think Mark Martin, Beyonce, some MMA dude, Danica Patrick!, or the celebrity du jour, would be convincing the uninitiated to increase their vehicle`s trade-in value, make it last longer, be like Tiger, pick up chicks, hang out with the badass car guys, etc., by using Turtle Wax?

Best of luck, TW.

off topic: I had a genuine coke-through-the-nose moment when I read the snapper post. Very funny!
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like
    I used TW exclusively in the early 70`s. I hated the abundance of white powder when I buffed it off. The turtle`s "hard shell" only lasted a few washings, but I "waxed" every 3 or 4 washings, anyway. Back then, I tried the "new" Minute Wax silicone liquid formula. Very disappointing. I quit using Turtle Wax when Dupont introduced the first generation of Rain Dance in 1975. Ancient history. Fast forward 30 years. I tried TW Platinum Series "Ultra Gloss" and found it to be surprisingly good. Didn`t come close to Collinite, though, so I still have most of the bottle left.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is one of THE best threads I have read on here. Seriously.

For my own personal cars, I stick with Poorboys, Zaino & Meguiars. When I detail for customers, it`s usually Malco Rejuvenator, 3M Ultrafina & Collinite.

I know those products last. I want the customers to wash their cars and know the durability will last. Thats what keeps them coming back to me.

If TW can come out with long lasting, durable, easy to use, and high shine,

I will buy some and see for myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Welcome to autopia. Now I have read all the posts and there is allot that I agree with and there is allot that David fermani and Scottwax have put very well said. When I was much younger the very first wax I ever used on my car was turtle wax. I think it was carnauba cleaner wax. I tried it on a friends red grand am that was oxidized and it made it look a whole lot better. Ever since then i have grown and tried to learn as much as i possible can about detaling and the products involved in its process. Now i have been thinking and what I would suggest to turtle wax AND what many others on here have said is

1. What I believe and what others have said find experienced detailers to demonstrate your products and to teach how to properly use them. Also people that could also show how to properly use the products you have in production like the green compound for example. Maybe there is a trick to doing it or something I don’t know. It would be good for them to do some sort of write up on here or something on you tube to get people to see first hand what can be achieved with turtle wax’s products. David Fermani had it right on the money with his post about that.

2. If you want to appeal to the Detailers /pro’s you need to have some kind of Professional line that can achieve the goals we set for correcting paints. Kind of like how meguiars has its mirror glaze line or how 3M has its perfect it 3000 series line. With like others have said a compound Polish and perhaps final polish and wax.

3. Like others have said you need to say on the product exactly what it does. And also don’t give it misleading names.. I kind of wonder if there was a bunch of people sitting around and saying what should we call this? One speaks up and says "Oh well it looks like the paint is like polished ICE maybe we should call it Turtle wax Ice polish cus it looks like polished ice." which its cool to have creative names but sometimes you have to say exactly what it is.

4. What we autopians are looking for to get that perfect finish is like what someone said is a defect free finish from a polish or compound or both together that will not create more problems. Then to top it off with a good wax.

On another note. I would be very interested to see a car that has been corrected properly to the max on a black car and just using the Black Box step 2 Black Carnauba Blend Wax as a lsp just to see how it looks…. I think that would be kind of interesting

I also just want to wish you guys good luck and we hope to hear more from you. I think it would be very cool to have a job like yours to be around stuff like that all the time and see how things come along in the labs and production. Hope this helps from all of us and have a good one.
    down here in colorful colorado!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to bring back a dying thread, but this is the kind of thing that TW needs to fix if they even want a chance.

Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant is the worst product ever***8207; - E46Fanatics

Hopefully Mr Turtle Wax can help this guy out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo
    Hate to bring back a dying thread, but this is the kind of thing that TW needs to fix if they even want a chance.

Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant is the worst product ever***8207; - E46Fanatics

Hopefully Mr Turtle Wax can help this guy out.

To my untrained and slightly stupid eye, it looks like all the F21 did there was expose existing damage. I`d be interested to see what he pulled up with his MF towel (hopefully that`s what he used, but i find it unlikely). I`m thinking that a previous owner or seller had to "fix" some defects in the interior with something like shoe polish.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information