Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Marketing thoughts.

Build a better mousetrap. You have the resources to build a better product and one of the best communication tools in history, use them. I have looked at rows upon rows of product and decided I don`t care about packaging, I want results and this is the place I chose to find results. You show me side by side comparisons of your product to a known performer and I will buy it, period. The caveat is that I must be able to achieve similar results or know why.

I suspect small batch runs would be counter to your current process, mess with profitability and irritate Don, but trickle down marketing can work.

Take a product and know its the best out there, offer it only through the estore in a plain brown wrapper at a price that allows product sustainability and I suspect it will be bought and recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar

If TW wants to attract enthusiat`s attention, they should develop a high end line and not call it Turtle Wax.

They already tried that = Zymol liquid Cleaner Wax. :har:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

And before that, Liquid Crystal (which wasn`t half bad).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Yeah, that was lame. Actually to be fair, if you compared it to Meg`s #6, which was right next to it on the shelf when it came out, the "Zymol" wasn`t bad. Seriously, I was thinking something that would compete with the $50-$100 waxes. I`m sure Turtle Wax has the development background to make better products, they just don`t. Instead, they go for silly junk:

Extra deep cleaning power for chumps that don`t want to spring the extra $5 for a brush!

and products made to hide problems, rather than fix them:

Post Thanks / Like
    That stuff makes me cringe just looking at the pictures.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill bet if that black box said menzerna on it, people would be all over it. To me the packing on the black box looks great along with the bottles and labels. its just the name turtle wax!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry
    Ill bet if that black box said menzerna on it, people would be all over it. To me the packing on the black box looks great along with the bottles and labels. its just the name turtle wax!

Big effing dot.

Every time I see that, I`m tempted to pick it up and look at it. Good marketing right there, just too bad it`s got the negative connotation to the name.

One last suggestion to me - start (or begin again) to market products that fix, not ones that hide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Barry, some people see TW and go into hysterics. Hey, if they`re serious about getting into the detailing line, I`m sure they have the resources for it. I`ve been trying to weed out my cabinent and just reduce the number of products to the ones I truely use, but I`m open minded enough to try something new if it looks like it fits my "bang for the buck" critia.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I don`t think you`ll find many of them here, there is a huge market of folks who are not interested in correcting. For them, stuff like the Black Box is probably great. I personally think that kit looks like an absolutely great example of marketing.

As far as this "bad attachment" to the Turtle Wax name - I don`t really see that. Yeah, I know most of "us" have a bad thought about TW, but we`re most likely a fraction of a percent of the people who buy car care products on a yearly basis. I think the average folks probably think TW is a recognized, and most likely trusted brand. Sometimes we seem to forget that we - people who frequent these detailing forums - are in a very small minority.

I think it is great that a large company like TW wants to better their product by researching and getting opinions from a place like this. But with their position in the car care market and their business plan/design, I doubt they could ever be profitable by making products that compete with the products a lot of us choose to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone thought about Black Majic Car Wax? It was rated No. 1 by Consumer Reports recently. Now I don`t beleive everything CR says. But that will attract many average Joe blow buyers.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    Has anyone thought about Black Majic Car Wax? It was rated No. 1 by Consumer Reports recently. Now I don`t beleive everything CR says. But that will attract many average Joe blow buyers.

Ever since the Jeep incident, I pretty much don`t believe anything they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8

The thing so many hobbist/pro detailers forget is CR`s criteria. They test for the average Joe, just like TW sells products to the average Joe. We don`t matter to either as we represent less than 1%. Their criteria wasn`t "the best wax" it was the best OTC product for your average car, to which I can`t say I`d disagree, Black Magic is pretty nice compromise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
    And it will still only be a small segment of the sales. Eco-friendly isn`t something most people think of.

And when local ordinance says "no car washing..." you will sing a different tune.

Why wait to be told?

Lead, follow or get out of the way! :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    And when local ordinance says "no car washing..." you will sing a different tune.

Thankfully, I live in an area where that will never happen due to crap politicians/policies.

And when water is in short supply, that`s what stuff like ONR is for. I still use it even when there is no restriction. Nothing eco about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    EPA Clean Water Act of 1972 already says you will. It`s a matter of enforcement.

Never say never.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information