Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Unless TW just became a sponsor here this thread is going to be pretty short-lived. I`m actually surprised it`s lasted all day.

This is the first in a very long time that a national brand has reached out to the community in a way that was truly asking what we want/trying to understand what we want, and not secretly pushing what they have to offer. This is one of the many "right ways" for a commercial entity to be involved with the community without exploiting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^Agreed ^^

Only time will tell if they learn from this site or fade away knowing that their existence here was a lose/lose. I wish more companies and their leaders would be involved here. Every time they try, their attempt is purely for their own commission.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    i think alot of us used turtle wax early on in the car care stages when we didnt know what we do now

myself..i used it back in the day , slappped on with a old t shirt ,nice n thick for extra shine , then mumbled about the dusting and how it was hard to remove

i guess we might find it better than we imagine if we gave it another go

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    This is the first in a very long time that a national brand has reached out to the community in a way that was truly asking what we want/trying to understand what we want, and not secretly pushing what they have to offer. This is one of the many "right ways" for a commercial entity to be involved with the community without exploiting it.

Well said and I agree!
    Brilliant Black 2001 Audi S4 - 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know if Turtle Wax Europe is a separate entity or not, but there used to be very positive reviews on the main UK detailing site about a Turtle Wax product called "Paint Guard" or something like that. My understanding is that its no longer available over there. It was NEVER available here, so far as I know. It was a thin liquid with incredible durability, 6 months or more, very easy to use. Supposedly left a great shine as well. Perhaps non-VOC compliant? I have always been puzzled when an outstanding product is discontinued, or never brought to a market such as the US. If VOC was an issue, why not reformulate? Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, on one hand he says he wants to cater to us, on the other hand he says TW Platinum was discontinued due to low demand. That was a nationally marketed product available just about anywhere. I don`t think they are going to be happy with sales numbers to the autopian crowd.

Why even listen to us, we represent such a small crowd, fractions of 1%. They would be much better served tapping into a new market or doing research on their typical wal-mart or target customer.

Time will tell, but it seems to me, the motive is more to encourage us to try their CURRENT products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel
    I just came across this history of the Turtle Wax company. It makes for an interesting read.

Good read. Kind of shows you that they are a big company after market share. Most interesting thing I read was the Deep Crystal was an attempt at a product that was completely detached from the TW brand. I used that stuff back in the early 90`s, it wasn`t bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Meguiars is doing their job at educating the general public about the proper steps to detailing, but it might take a company like Turtle Wax to take it over the top and educate the average Joe that an old T-shirt wash and wax is not detailing.

With the right products and some insight into what it takes to produce and maintain a detailed vehicle, TW might be in a good position to change some average Joes views on the detailing industy and we would all gain from that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    ... it might take a company like Turtle Wax to take it over the top and educate the average Joe that an old T-shirt wash and wax is not detailing.

Detailing will always be the art of the Few, the Proud, the Detailers! BUT, that does not mean the top 3 national brand (Armor All, Turtle Wax & Meguiar`s) should not bring great "car detailing" products to market for enthusiasts and good car care products to market for everyone else. Armor All and Turtle Wax are squarely targeted at "car care", not detailing, because car care is the larger audience.

What I`d like to know is when will one of the national brands change their typical "American Marketing" habit of BIGGER IS BETTER! If the professional detailer is being forced to belly up to the ecology, why not the makers of the products?

This is not a knock on TW -- although I wish at least one of the top 3 would wake up -- it`s a knock on consumers. Bigger is not better, it`s just wasteful. Frankly, I don`t even want to think about how many gallons of car wash soap the top three produce. Why? Because eventually, the majority of that soap goes back into the water I drink or take food from.

On the household side, Clorox is making a change (Powerful & Natural Cleaning Products & Household Cleaners | Green Works). The new CEO of Clorox is no dummy. Green Works is already very successful. You`ve got to know that this same line of thinking is coming to car care.

My advice to all of the top national brands is to wake up and drink the KoolAid. Creating better products means you need to be brave enough to kick what you`ve got to the curb and start over. Clorox did it by starting a new division. That worked for them... kind of like GM did with Saturn. Whatever it takes, just make the change.

What consumers don`t need is MORE for LESS. What consumers need is products that are so easy to use they WILL use them. Products that last LONGER so they don`t have to use them as often. Products that meet a one-time need, and then don`t sit around taking up shelf space in the garage. Products that don`t POLLUTE (regardless of what the VOC regulations allow)!

Maybe TW would like to tackle these issues. :2thumbs:

P.S., My guess is that a brand like Simple Green will come to mass market with an eco-friendly car cleaning solution first and kick the snot out of the top three, while they (top 3 car care brands) all stand around wondering how it happened!

:sosad

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started reading detail forums and talking to members here and elsewhere - I figured you HAD to get this boutique stuff no one ever heard of to be a detailer, so I did and I detailed many cars to pay for my gotta try everything attitude. Now, older, wiser and actually making a few bucks I realize you don`t need a bunch of products, you really don`t and I`m eliminating stuff all the time. I see you have OTC, Boutique and Body Shop lines - you could get the same stuff (except over priced carnuba) from any one of them, yeah, some are better than others but not a lot. So if TW wants to get into the detailer market - then come up with a "Detailer Line" like Megs did, but do it one better - have a compound like 105, a middle polish like Menzerna 106 or even IP, and just a fine polish - glaze, then a sealer, wax, APC, leather-vinyl cleaner, carpet cleaner, and glass and BINGO - you have something interesting. Next, start offering it from On-line stores first with a tech support line, then go to the Auto zones, Orielys etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re Platinum: It was unfortunate that the line was disco`d. It was a good product and successful until our the auto chains and Wal-Mart like stores d-listed it. Obviously not something we were pleased with. We simply did not and do not have the distribution network set up to maintain product lines which have such limited distribution.

We`ve had to eliminate many products which were amazing products, but couldn`t justify selling them to such a limited customer base.

The point of me choosing this forum, is that most of you are experienced detailers who enjoy taking care of your car. This is a resource full of experts who TW can learn a great deal from. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Pootoo12000, The UK product was called Gloss Guard. UK / Europe weather requires some unique formulations. The reformulated ICE liquid is similar but more durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m one of the guys that started off with TW, but could never get my car to look like that "really shiny one" that just passed by. No matter that I followed the instructions, my car just looked clean - not stunning. This was before I learned what makes a car shine...

Meg`s has the 3-step Deep Crystal system. I threw away my TW when Meg`s made me realize there`s more to it than just putting a coat of wax on your car. Bad first impression, I`ll never go back...even though the bad results were my own ignorance. The results after the 3-step system was stunning compared to the TW, because they told me what was needed and how to get the results i wanted.

TW ICE series came out, with the liquid clay bar - so i tried it. Results don`t compare to a real clay bar and was actually more difficult to use (to me). Another loser, despite having thinking TW ICE was the enthusiast line.

My last attempt at TW was the ICE liquid polish - it was ok, but it attracted dust like a swiffer and honestly there wasn`t much change in looks. I gave it to my mom since it`s easy to use and is better than nothing. Besides, it`s NOT A POLISH!!! Think about how OCD you have to be to keep your car immaculate - bad terminology kills me and I`m sure several others.

I still use a lot of Meg`s products, despite their mass-market name. Their products function well in a multi-step process clearly and perform well. And they tell you what their stuff is doing when you put product to paint. Anal Retentive heaven!

If you want to get rid of the brand stigma, youtube a TW vs competitor video with visible and documented results. Somebody`ll try it and if it really does stand up, it`ll get it`s due of hype.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TWax
    We`ve had to eliminate many products which were amazing products, but couldn`t justify selling them to such a limited customer base.

And this may be one of the reasons we don`t see a high end line, or many new products from you guys targeted toward us.

Many of us on here are the limited customer base. Speaking on the scale of how big you guys are and who your regular buyers are. We like something just a little different. Like no rinse car washes, or higher end wax & sealants and other products mentioned in this discussion.

You said TW couldn`t justify selling those products mentioned because of a "limited customer" base.

You have to remember a limited customer base in sales for TW for those products discontinued would likely still be more sales than many of the companies we do business with combined. jmo

If TW targeted the users on this board, and others like us, it wouldn`t be the sales you normally experience in Walmart, or other retailers. Like i said yesterday it would be more of a niche product line than anything.

If your company is looking for the maximum amount of profits, and sales that you enjoy in the large box retailers (selling to the masses) you`re likely to be disappointed targeting a line toward us and many like us.

Post Thanks / Like
    another good example of a consumer brand (other than megs) that also have a forum and can give some good advice would be Mothers...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information