Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Scott I can`t believe you use ANY Meguires products as a professional detailer. It just really amazes me.

I use a chemist to make all of my compounds sealants etc. If you want to be on the cutting edge in this business you have to have what the other guy down the street doesn`t have or can do.

Hence the word Professional.....not week end warrior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoysautospa
    Well Scott I can`t believe you use ANY Meguires products as a professional detailer. It just really amazes me.

I use a chemist to make all of my compounds sealants etc. If you want to be on the cutting edge in this business you have to have what the other guy down the street doesn`t have or can do.

Oh, I guess you don`t know him, he just says he uses 105/205 but actually has aliens bring down a formula custom made for him from their planet.:chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff man..as one of the new guys on the block I haven`t even reached a point where something I`m thinking about hasn`t been addressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of US cant slell Maguire`s Either way!

Hence the Name!

: Þ
    OK she not the best Detailer! but SOOOO !

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post!!! Wheather you are using a dual action or a rotory, I suggest for a new guy to start with 3 levels of pads, 1 compound, and 1 polish. Compounding pad, medium polishing pad, light polishing pad. You cant go wrong with 3M white, grey, blue pads.

Anyways, get really good and comfortable with these. Get to know how they feel, how the pad grips the paint as it heats up, how the compound and polish breaks down. Start off by grabing an old panel from a junk yard. I always suggest for a new guy to take a junk panel from go at it. Let the paint heat up. In fact, burn the paint so you can feel it through your polisher. Paint correction is about feeling the paint in your hands. Whether your wet sanding, buffing, or polishing, you need to be able to feel the paint.

So just get really really good at using 3 pads, 1 compound, and 1 polish. Spend the next 6 months practicing a lot. Then, if you want to start trying new products, only try one product at a time. Maybe try a different polish but keep using the same compound and pads. Or maybe try one different polishing pad but keep using the other polishing pad, compound pad, polish, and compound. Slowly add products to your arsenal and master each product one by one.

My two cents.

Business URL removed by moderator. Please don`t do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with everything here! great post

Post Thanks / Like

It isn`t necessarily the product but how the detailer uses the product. Besides, the guy down the street isn`t using $90 a gallon Meguiars #105 or #205.

Meguiars turned this:

Into this...

www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

ahahaahaha best smiley evar!

Post Thanks / Like

Is this guy for real? Hire a CHEMIST to do what Meguiar`s has been doing and perfecting for over 100 years?!? That`s really what makes him a Professional (notice the capitalization)? Eight posts and he`s banned- guess we know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea...succeeding in this business takes a lot more than "having what the guy down the street doesn`t have." There`s so many more aspects to running a business.

Sorry to bring this back. I was just browsing around (I read but rarely post) and saw this and had to comment on it. I really respect that you share what it is you know Scott, thank you for all and especially the sticky lol...made me laugh!
    ~Tyler C.

T.C. Detailing L.L.C

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything you said. Detailing is still an art and not a science. Detailing requires three key elements; knowledge, practice, realistic goals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize this is an old thread...but as a newbie I would like to say that I actually appreciate this as well. I wish I had found it sooner and as matter of fact I would appreciate seeing this list expanded upon along with links to threads and perhaps even other sites for answers.

One couple more things... oftentimes what is considered common sense by the knowledgeable and experienced is not common to the general public especially if they have nothing to reference in there daily lives that compares to the topic they are seeking information regarding.

Secondly though I have used the search function and have read many posts I and I suspect many other people new to serious or would it be better to say real detailing am not familliar with most of the commonly used abbreviations within the forum. Therefore it would also be help if included in an expanded version of this original post someone could include a list of the common abbreviations with definitions.
    -Tom

"We are the first nation in the history of the world to go to the poorhouse in an automobile." -Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    ?? TAllyn, howd you find this thread. Back on the main page right below this thread is the list to decode all the acronyms being used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, my mom`s side of the family lives in Minnesota, and I am really close with one of my aunts who lives there. I am also close with the rest of my relatives who live there, but not nearly as close... My mom is very close to them, and she always talks with her sister (the one that`s my favorite aunt) at least once a week, so I get to talk to her then, and other times I want to talk to her I just call her. Sometimes I e-mail her if I am unable to use the phone. I suggest e-mailing, if your relatives do have e-mail, it may not be as nice as talking to them face to face but it still helps me feel connected to them. As for the rest of my relatives who live in Minnesota, I do not get to talk to them so much, but my mom lets me talk to them on the phone sometimes after she is done.

My dad`s side of the family lives in Seattle, which is relatively close to where I live (well... pretty far, but still), and they come down to visit sometimes.

So I suggest e-mails and phone calls... sometimes I have even written letters--not the quickest way, but it gets the point across.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alex john
    Yes, my mom`s side of the family lives in Minnesota, and I am really close with one of my aunts who lives there. I am also close with the rest of my relatives who live there, but not nearly as close... My mom is very close to them, and she always talks with her sister (the one that`s my favorite aunt) at least once a week, so I get to talk to her then, and other times I want to talk to her I just call her. Sometimes I e-mail her if I am unable to use the phone. I suggest e-mailing, if your relatives do have e-mail, it may not be as nice as talking to them face to face but it still helps me feel connected to them. As for the rest of my relatives who live in Minnesota, I do not get to talk to them so much, but my mom lets me talk to them on the phone sometimes after she is done.

My dad`s side of the family lives in Seattle, which is relatively close to where I live (well... pretty far, but still), and they come down to visit sometimes.

So I suggest e-mails and phone calls... sometimes I have even written letters--not the quickest way, but it gets the point across.

Um......really? Relativity?

This is a great thread. As a noob I had to read it. I am getting ready to apply some of what I have read here and some of my previous experience to my wifes 98 Regal. If I screw up the paint it really won`t matter that much since it will need a paint job soon anyway. I`ll document my learning experience with some photos.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information