Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice so far .... I`ll add another one if I`m allowed.

Reading about detailing, while helpful and informative, will only get you so far ... to get good at it you need to actually practice it.

I often see posts from people who say they have a plethora of polishes, compounds, pads, etc and they want people 1000 miles away to tell them what pad/product combination will remove their defect. If you have the defect and product at your own fingertips and under your own 2 eyes, start with the least aggressive approach you think might be effective and start learning how to correct paint by actually DOING it. Hands on practice using common sense is often the best teacher. :buffing:

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about not putting "56k no way!" in the title? Who still uses dial up to access a picture heavy detailing forum anyway?:nomore:

And how about not asking for advice for problems without at least adding a picture of what you are working with? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of my favorite posts here for a long time :-) The same questions are being asked here over and over again, so I think making this a sticky and even obligatory to read for new members, is a good idea :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    it`s probably been mentioned (i`ll say it again), but the "search " function needs to be used more...

Post Thanks / Like
    if only i had seen this post earlier... :blush :guilty look:

could have helped to reduce or curb my spending on detailing products. as well as minimize my inane posts.

very useful and helpful. great post scott .

Post Thanks / Like
    ....great post Scott. I especially agree with points 1, 2, 3 & 6. ....unfortunately, there seems to be no shortage of armchair detailers that are willing to provide specific answers to relatively complex situations without ever seeing the vehicle in question. It also seems you folks are having to correct the bad advice of others these days rather than actually spending that time sharing your experience.

If folks don’t know (or are unsure of) what they are talking about, then don’t make definitive, unfounded remarks. There are plenty of other members here with the answers & experience that can help the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, insisting that you must order super high priced products online to get good results. I assure you, I don`t need a crystal case of Zymol Royale to be a good detailer/have a head turning car. Thumbing one`s nose at OTC supply users.

"Every time I drive at 20+ MPH large chunks of this clear stuff flies of my car, is this clearcoat failure?" Yes, it probably is. No amount of wax or compound will fix this.

"What wax will last for (x-amount of time) indefinitely?" None.

"I wash my car with a rock and an old broom, why am I getting swirls?" Gee, I wonder...

Post Thanks / Like
    can i do a full detail on a car even if there is a paint cracking and some chipped areas

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this thread! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Your command is my wish!

LOL. :har:

Everything one needs to know about auto detailing is located somewhere on this magnanimous site. David B has eruditely instilled the “Autopia Learning Library” for those who wish to have a solid foundation in this constant search for perfection we call Auto Detailing.

Many who where educated correctly in the ALL, went on to become weekend warriors/experts/masters/ professionals in detailing, whereas those who jumped ahead continue to suffer, do to the lack of knowledge. For once you master the basics, the products are just an extension of your applied work. True, some products are superior than others, but would often still fail the undisciplined.

Considerate new members, those needing the proper prerequisite and those having questions, should read through the articles (then act) in the ALL first, for there is always a Master Detailer on there 24/7, who will answer most of your questions, he does not sleep, nor asks payment for his precious time, and you will never embarrass yourself in asking your many questions.

If you want your vehicle to be a jaw dropping, head turning, chick/dude magnet, (for you ladies out there.) or you desire the repeat business etc., then master the basics in the ALL….. Learn from the Master Professionals before you.

~Soarer V
    You learn to become Great by doing what other Great people have done before you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree its hard to be patient, when the obviouse is lurking within...a total lack of knowledge for paint surface correction. I admit after 38 years sometimes people bring me BLACK, full of wheel marks after every novice in the state had a whack at it. I tell people its very hard to remove wheel marks in old paint. Many times after a month or so the marks will come back. I tell customers...I will do the best I can and it depends how they maintain the protection on their vehicle. I do about 85 percent BLACK. I did three black cars last week out of 5 total. Black can be difficult if it was car washed and abused by lack of knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if your going to engage in paint correction as a newbie, you should practice on a clunker. This paint rejuvenation and correction is NOT for everybody. I have only seen a handful of capable technicians pull it off! The fact is ....High speed polishing with the proper touch is indeed an ART! The second fact is FEW ARE VERY GOOD @ it. The ones that have achieved success know what is needed when and why. I I could share all the paint knowledge I have since 1969 when I started, that might take all the adventure out of your learning process! SO FORGE ON and discover what works for you! BenLeoneDetailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scott,

Very good posting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soarer V

Everything one needs to know about auto detailing is located somewhere on this magnanimous site. David B has eruditely instilled the “Autopia Learning Library” for those who wish to have a solid foundation in this constant search for perfection we call Auto Detailing.

Many who where educated correctly in the ALL, went on to become weekend warriors/experts/masters/ professionals in detailing, whereas those who jumped ahead continue to suffer, do to the lack of knowledge. For once you master the basics, the products are just an extension of your applied work. True, some products are superior than others, but would often still fail the undisciplined.

Considerate new members, those needing the proper prerequisite and those having questions, should read through the articles (then act) in the ALL first, for there is always a Master Detailer on there 24/7, who will answer most of your questions, he does not sleep, nor asks payment for his precious time, and you will never embarrass yourself in asking your many questions.

If you want your vehicle to be a jaw dropping, head turning, chick/dude magnet, (for you ladies out there.) or you desire the repeat business etc., then master the basics in the ALL….. Learn from the Master Professionals before you.

~Soarer V

Soarer I`m gonna disagree with one thing about this. Accumulator does sleep, but I heard he sleeps with his eyes open.:LOLOL :woot2:
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paintxpert
    I tell people its very hard to remove wheel marks in old paint. Many times after a month or so the marks will come back. I tell customers...
    .........................Im skeptical of the use of `xpert`.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information