Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen numerous youtube videos of people using the PC to detail their cars and most of the time I see them using tape. First of all, I am assuming this is painter`s tape. Is that correct?

Also, I can see the obvious use of tapes to protect the headlight lens, trim, etc. But, why is it that sometimes I see people taping the panels? Is this simply for before and after photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, it`s painters tape. the Green scotch is actually best as far as adhesion goes. Most of the time panels are taped, it`s to do a 50/50 shot. That is: a side before the polishing and correction and the side after.
    Hitachi SP18VA and PC-XP

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! You answered my question perfectly. As far as the panels go... am I risking any damage if I overlap some polish with my PC (doing a small section twice as opposed to just once)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elonheater32
    Thank you! You answered my question perfectly. As far as the panels go... am I risking any damage if I overlap some polish with my PC (doing a small section twice as opposed to just once)?

No.:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    some people like to tape the edge of the fenders when they do a hood for example with blue painters tape, just to avoid over doing it.

It`s all about your method. If you feel you can do it without taping (like most) then go for it. That`s how I do it.
    Hitachi SP18VA and PC-XP

Post Thanks / Like
    Occasionally you will run into a car with a fender or hood that is higher/lower than the adjacent panel. While the chances of burning through with a PC are pretty low it`s still a good idea. Again not on all cars, just the rare occasion where you have BOTH a panel gap AND a sharp edge in the same place.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was another thread on this very topic just recently, where a few of us went into detail about taping/not when working with various machines. Might be worth the dreaded SEARCH and it should be easy enough to find.

Thread Information